Spyder Garage

Default To shift or not to shift that is my question.

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I have kind of a simple question. I have a 2016 Can-Am spider RTSE6, which you manually shift going up in the gears but will automatically downshift if you come up to a stop. My question is I enjoy shifting down at a little higher RPM than it does automatically. Is it harder on the bike to shift all the time or should I let the downshifting do its own thing? Thanks so much, Peter.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    I apologize if this has been answered before, but I have kind of a simple question. I have a 2016 Can-Am spider RTSE6, which you manually shift going up in the gears but will automatically downshift if you come up to a stop. My question is I enjoy shifting down at a little higher RPM than it does automatically. Is it harder on the bike to shift all the time or should I let the downshifting do its own thing? Thanks so much, Peter.
    99% of the time I will let the Spyder do the downshifting .... the folks who designed the transmission and set the parameters for the RPM's and picked when this will happen ... they picked them for a Reason ( I think system / parts longevity !!! ) .... If I'm really cranking it in the twistie's I will do it Manually, but this doesn't happen often .... There are folks who Claim it does NO HARM .... are those folks Metallurgists ??? and how many transmissions have they designed ?? .. I remember way back when a Master mechanic told me " clutches are cheap - transmissions arn't ) ... during my 67 years of using transmissions I have never had a failure. I knew many who did ... mostly folks who used it for Braking ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I find that in the twisties going to Canyon Lake the engine will lug if I do not manually down shift in some of the corners.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Despite some erroneously thinking &/or believing otherwise, it is NOT any harder on the SE Spyder's to change down manually at the proper times - in fact, the 'automatic down-change' WASN'T initially intended as anything but a 'cover your arse' failsafe for the (effectively) manual gearboxes that the SE's are, albeit that these particular manual gearboxes happen to have a semi-automated & computer activated (once prompted by the flappy paddles) up-shift!! The 'auto down-shift' feature is really only there as an 'over-ride of last resort to protect your gearbox & engine' from potential damage when you've 'forgotten' or been waaay too late to initiate the manual down-shift via the flappy paddles sooner than their 'any lower & you're likely to damage stuff' fail-safe revs level calls for!!

The Computer/s will trigger a fail-safe 'change down' for you if your road speed &/or revs are so low that putting the amount of torque you just demanded via the throttle is likely to damage the gearbox; and they'll change down for you if you are likely to be 'lugging' the engine if you force drop the engine revs low enough to deliver the low road speed that holding a higher gear calls for at those revs.....So if anything, you are MORE LIKELY to damage things by always relying on the 'fail-safe' to jump in at the last moment to protect the mechanical bits from your omissions than you are if you drive your SE like the 'semi-automated changing manual gearbox' that it is and always try to select/prompt your gear changes as and when you should with any other manual gearbox, regardless of whether you're changing UP or changing DOWN!! But that doesn't mean you can ignore the need to match your road speed to the gear you select, either! In fact, if you try it, you'll probably be able to find that there are also 'fail-safe limits' that stop you changing UP too early as well as changing DOWN too early! The people who designed these 'semi-automated manual gearboxes' were actually pretty smart, so they set things up to work each way AND to protect the mechanical bits if you leave your down-changes too late!!

Besides, like all skilled and capable riders, we don't ever want to let any of those bad things happen to our vehicles do we?! We should always be in full control of our Spyders at all times, and that means being in the correct gear & at the correct engine revs for the given road speed and to allow instant access to any necessary emergency manoeuvring that may be required in order to keep us & other road users safe; and doing THAT usually calls for manually down shifting as & when necessary (ie, BEFORE the fail-safe decides it has to kick in!) even if you don't want to 'engine brake' hard to a stop!

Then again, it's your Spyder, you can do with it as you will....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-07-2021 at 08:42 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Shifts

My first thought was to say read the Spyder Owner's Manual.
    I have been shifting my Spyder SE6 up and down as I sense the need. Usually the only time I let it downshift is for a full slow stop.
    The computer on the Spyder knows how to do it.

So if you want to do some shifts, go ahead.

SE6 is only automatic for the downshifting, nothing yet for upshift.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Well at least I know I can drive it like it I stole it attitude is probably is not going to hurt anything. Thanks so much for all your help.

(Man I should’ve read this before I posted it. Lotta mistakes here but I got it straightened out.)

Spyder Garage

Twisties coming back from Canyon Lake.

https://youtu.be/-QuziYyFauY
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

There is a certain vlogger, on this site, who drives the socks out of his shoes,( He invented the phrase "ride it, like you stole it) hahahaha, and I never heard him bout any mishaps, with the gears.
    mho is, when I cruise, I let the machine do the downshifts, when I am really stepping on it, I tend to downshift myself.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I let the Spyders do MOST of the down shifting for me. I would say 98% of the time. I also am aware of keeping the engine in the sweet spot on the upshifts and cruising. Mine like 3500 rpms. I get consistent 40 mpg these days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Living in the Sierra Nevada mountains, downshifting to match speed is a must to get some drive out of the corners. Seems to shift faster that the manual on my poor, old,slow V-Max.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Living in the Sierra Nevada mountains, downshifting to match speed is a must to get some drive out of the corners. Seems to shift faster that the manual on my poor, old,slow V-Max.
    Lew L
    ..... Down shifting so you can accelerate out of a curve ( I do this in the Twistie's ) is very Different from Down-shift for BRAKEING ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I for one have been amazed at how smooth shifting the Spyder is, either up or auto down. Manual downshifting, unless I am in SMA mode doing something like downshifting from 6th to 5th at 85 is very smooth too.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I guess I drove sports cars for too many years, but I usually downshift manually except from 2nd to 1st. Why I don't downshift then, ???. For all I know, I may be downshifting at the same RPM the Spyder would do by itself. As I said at the beginning, habit.

Spyder Garage

My question: Why would BRP allow us to downshift if it was detrimental for the transmission or engine?? I have never read anything that states manual downshifting an SE would cause damage to transmission, engine, etc.

I copied this from the owners guide for the 2014 RT Ltd SE6, Page 14 (words in bold by me)

If operator does not downshift when
    slowing down and engine RPM drops
    below a threshold value, the gearbox
    will automatically downshift to the
    next available gear.

I have been downshifting since 2012, first with my 2012 (19,000 miles) now with my 2014 (48,000 miles) both RT Ltd and purchased new. 67,000 miles and I have not had any mechanical problems related to manual downshifting. Unless I am making a quick stop, I usually let the bike go from second to first automatically. BTW I have not had any engine nor transmission problems. Just 2 air bags and a speed sensor.

Spyder Garage

Default Slow, reluctant downshifts

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I find that in the twisties going to Canyon Lake the engineer maybe will lug if I do not manually down shift in some of the corners.
    My 2019 RTL also bogs in some automated downshifts. It seems to be okay to let the computer do the downshifting when coming to a full stop.

That said, I find the computer to be quite reluctant to downshift from 3rd to 2nd especially and also from 2nd to 1st when slowing for a corner or some other reason. Maybe it means I'm slowing down too much (I'm no racer) or maybe it's just my specific RTL, but I find myself manually downshifting in the lower gears for the exact same reason - so it doesn't bog down. My ST with the 998 was much better about downshifts.

Maybe it's just the old truck driver in me, but I really dislike letting an engine lug - it can be very bad in an 18-wheeler, hard on every component of the driveline, not just the engine. Granted a Spyder isn't a Kenworth, but I still dislike twisting open the throttle out of a corner and finding I'm (at least) one gear too high for my road speed.

Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like to use engine breaking to aid with the slowing at lights with the added bonus of if I need to accelerate off quickly (due to someone behind not paying attention that there are lights changing ahead) then my response time is quicker
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White