Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Which way does the oil travel thru the Transmission filter 1330 engine?

Does anyone know which way the oil travels thru the filter .... from the cover side in ... or the engine side out ???? .... Thanks .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Is this enough information?

HCM Oil Circuit

The pressure pump is integrated in the HCM and is driven by the balancer shaft.

The suction side of the pressure pump sucks engine oil from the oil tank through an oil sieve located in the oil pan for pre-filtering the engine oil.

Engine oil exits the cylinder block, passes the HCM and goes straight to the suction type HCM oil filter which is located onto the clutch cover.

Filtered engine oil enters to suction side of the HCM pressure pump.

The pressure pump generates pressured engine oil required for the clutch clamping and gear shifting functionality.

The temperature sensor is mounted on the pressure pump inlet and measures the oil temperature entering the pressure pump.

The oil temperature value is used to determine which map should be used for the pressure control.

The clutch pressure sensor is measuring the main oil pressure entering the clutch piston and is located outside the clutch cover.

Both sensors are also used for monitoring and diagnostic purposes.

The HCM includes 2 different oil circuits:

– Line Pressure Oil Circuit which is adjusted from 600 kPa to 1 200 kPa (87 PSI to 174 PSI)
    – Pilot Pressure Oil Circuit which is adjusted from 0 kPa to 500 kPa (0 PSI to 73 PSI).

HCM - 1330 ACE SE6.jpg

As the schematic makes clear, oil is sucked from the sump (oil pan) through the HCM filter into the transmission pressure pump.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 01-30-2022 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added circuit schematics
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bert, thats a Hoooo Lota Crap going on down there! Now you got me almost afraid to start the darn thing!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Red face Dang I forgot to answer Mike's question

Mike -- the open part of the filter faces the sump and the output port with the O-ring faces the pressure pump.
    HCM Filter.jpg
    [Photo from Baja Ron eBay store]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Knizar
    Now you got me almost afraid to start the darn thing!
    If my new 2019 Moto Guzzi V7 III was a tenth as trustworthy as my 85K mile 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 I'd still be riding it. Push that Start button!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Mike -- the open part of the filter faces the sump and the output port with the O-ring faces the pressure pump.
    HCM Filter.jpg
    [Photo from Baja Ron eBay store]
    Thanks Bert ..... however I'm really, really stupid about this. I still don't understand which way the oil is going through that filter ..... cover side or engine side ..... ................ I know tires .... and when I give an explanation I could do it in technical terms , however only 5% of the folks here would have any idea what I was talking about ..... so I Don't do that , I try to break it down to the lowest common denominator .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't know for sure I'm not a BRUP tech but, seems that if it were to catch junk it would catch it on the outside of the screen. The side facing you when you remove it. Otherwise, if it fell off, it would hit the floor and not fall back into the case. Hopefully?????? I've only removed one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink No star washers were harmed in this post

Mike -- you are looking at the engine (clutch) facing side of the filter. Both In (from sump) and Out (to pressure pump) are on the same side. In addition to the Out O-ring there is a perimeter O-ring. The other (outer) side of the filter is the continuous black cover which faces the cold cruel world.
    HCM Filter labelled.jpg
    It's critical to properly seat the perimeter O-ring against the engine face. Take at least three stages to tighten the Torx fasteners in the proper sequence. Only one fastener is slightly difficult to access (bottom left by In) and it ain't hard. I use a 1/4" digital torque wrench. I've changed the filter three times in 8K miles in my search for a clutch-friendly oil (found it with Motul 7100 15W50). No leaks so far and shifting is sweet most times.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 01-31-2022 at 12:40 AM. Reason: grammar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2dogs -- when I change the filter the same day I put the Spyder on car ramps, I have oil coming from both the engine (clutch) sump opening and the filter In opening. Plus the filtration material is a mesh that probably is designed to trap particles. And I use a Gold Plug MP-01 for the transmission sump which catches jaggies (ain't many at 85K miles).

Spyder Garage

Mike, simply curious, why are you asking?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    ... my search for a clutch-friendly oil (found it with Motul 7100 15W50). No leaks so far and shifting is sweet most times.
    I also use Motul 7100 in my Vulcan 1700 and my previous Vulcan 900. Made a huge difference in lower engine noises (valves, lifters, etc...) and much smoother shifting. Big V-twins are mostly clunky shifters anyway, but this oil seem to make thing much smoother.

I'll be switching over in my new Spyder as soon as I can safely make the switch.

BTW, thanks for posting the technical stuff. Started my military career as an aircraft mechanic, before I realized that I could have more fun and make more money by breaking them instead of fixing them.
    Last edited by GFrog; 01-31-2022 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Typo
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Mike, simply curious, why are you asking?
    Thanks for responding ..... As I stated on another thread My plan is to " clean " the filter ( rather than replace it ) .... so to me it matters which side of the " filter material " actually catches any dirt / debris. When cleaning a " cone " style " air filter ", you would force clean air from" INSIDE " the cone to the outside.... this also applies to flat type air filters ..... So if you have read Bert's many explanations, .... which way is the oil going ... from the cover side ( which is the part you remove to get to the filter ) or from the engine side ????? . Thank you for any and all assistance ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for responding ..... As I stated on another thread My plan is to " clean " the filter ( rather than replace it ) .... so to me it matters which side of the " filter material " actually catches any dirt / debris. When cleaning a " cone " style " air filter ", you would force clean air from" INSIDE " the cone to the outside.... this also applies to flat type air filters ..... So if you have read Bert's many explanations, .... which way is the oil going ... from the cover side ( which is the part you remove to get to the filter ) or from the engine side ????? . Thank you for any and all assistance ..... Mike
    I do not know the flow direction. Was suspecting you planned to flush it clean. At a guess you plan to solvent wash the filter in mineral spirits. Often, gently washing filters then drying with low pressure compressed air from both direction will accomplish your task.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb I am not endorsing filter cleaning and reuse.

Mike -- per your perspective, the "Inside" of the filter is the Out opening and the "Outside" of the filter is the In opening.

If you follow PMK's instructions, gently blow compressed air, maybe 5psi at most. Per the Service Manual the HCM filter media is
    Double layer suction filter:
    1st layer: Fibre glass fleece (10 microns)
    2nd layer: metallic screen (50 microns)

Spyder Garage

Here is what the inside of the filter looks line. Fine mesh screen with a felt looking filter medium. The only way to tell if its dirty is to break it open.
    IMG_1305.jpg
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for responding ..... As I stated on another thread My plan is to " clean " the filter ( rather than replace it ) ....
    Mike, I don't know if I would try that. Whatever solvent you used might have a detrimental effect on the filter medium. Also, the filter in my pic above was from the first change. I will try and get a better pic later tonight. When the light shines on it just right you can see minute silver particles. Not as many as I thought there might be for 28,000 + miles. Filter looks a little dirtier than it actually was since I had to drag it out of the trash can to photo.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I have rebuilt thousands of automatic transmissions and most of them have used a filter that looked like that. The only ones we ever cleaned were on some 50/60 models and they were called screens. I also dont recommend cleaning, All you will do is stir up some deeply lodged particles, bringing them to the surface where they will be dislodged upon starting.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-01-2022 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spaces....
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A new filter is less than 1/2 penny per mile of use!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)