Spyder Garage

Default My situation as new RT owner

Been riding for over 50 years mostly in Alaska, sold my last bike couple years ago because just lost interest riding in the last frontier.
    I retired last year, and now have more free time on my hands; not counting all the honey-dos.

Got the idea to buy a spyder in the lower 48, fly out pick it up and ride around for a couple weeks then put in storage and fly back, repeat every couple months. The one great thing is my wife is a 100% supportive, plus she's younger than I am and still working full time
    Decided to buy new and looked around for quite a while before finding an RT Limited in Tucson.

So now I had to figure out all the stuff that I needed to take down to inluding riding gear clothes and everything I needed for a couple of weeks. Still had my Klim riding gear and purchased a new helmet. Secured an airbnb in Tucson because I decided it best to just hang and get familiar with the bike while outfitting it.

Still had my x grip off my old bike so the phone mount was easy.
    Bought and installed a cup holder.
    Pulled the USB from the safety card box and attached phone cord and routed through steering Column.
    Figured out how to take off the Tupperware and fish a power cord down to the battery from my heat gear.
    Attached pigtail to the battery and put in the frunk for air compressor and battery tender use or whatever else I needed for.

Bought one of those can am carry on suitcases that fits in the frunk and that works out pretty well.

All in all I had a pretty good time and some pretty awesome rides out of Tucson. Not used to having that many different roads to choose from quite overwhelming compared to Alaska.

Used Google maps with my smartphone for navigation and that worked pretty well except for the areas that don't have service.
    Going to buy and install a Zumo XT on my next trip down end of March.

I Bluetooth my noise canceling earbuds to my phone and that works out great!

About 4 years ago I contracted vestibular narratus, have never really recovered 100% so my balance is a little off, that's why I went with the Spyder.

After putting about 1500 miles on the bike I have to say it's a joy to ride, and never had to put my foot down

End of March thinking about traveling up to Seattle where my sister lives and store the bike there until my next trip, The oil will need to be changed at that point and I prefer to do that myself. The bike may have a tad bit over 3000 miles but I don't think that's going to be an issue.

4 years ago I rode a BMW K 1600 GTL up the Alaska highway solo, So that might be an option but then I'd have to drive back down in August if I want to use the bike outside next Winter.

What's hard is not having the bike in my garage, I essentially have to do all my maintenance and such in a parking lot.

Next time around I'm going to be traveling and staying at hotels so that's going to be a little bit different as far as figuring out what to take.
    Definitely going to downsize my toolkit now that I pretty much know what I need.

So for the money I think the spyder is a pretty good value although I wish it had a couple items like air pressure sensors and remote locks, these were standard on my BMW GTL. But Hey you can't have everything and you just have to go with what's there.

Thanks for the form and ride safe,

Jay
    Last edited by 907Guy; 01-31-2022 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Jay, Anchorage AK

2021 RT Limited, Asphalt Gray Matallic/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink Alaska? That's cool!

Jay -- my understanding about Alaska roads is many are unpaved so you should consider a lower drive belt guard and an onboard spare drive belt. If your RT-L has air suspension some members found that gravel wedged between the air bag bottom and the swing arm leading to wear and failure. A protector was offered for a while (basically a 4-inch ABS pipe cap) but no longer so I purchased the PVC version, which only came as a 10-pak. Let me know if you want one.
    Air Spring Protector 1.jpgAir Spring Protector 2.jpg
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 907Guy View Post
    Been riding for over 50 years mostly in Alaska, sold my last bike couple years ago because just lost interest riding in the last frontier.
    I retired last year, and now have more free time on my hands; not counting all the honey-dos.

Got the idea to buy a spyder in the lower 48, fly out pick it up and ride around for a couple weeks then put in storage and fly back, repeat every couple months. The one great thing is my wife is a 100% supportive, plus she's younger than I am and still working full time
    Decided to buy new and looked around for quite a while before finding an RT Limited in Tucson.

So now I had to figure out all the stuff that I needed to take down to inluding riding gear clothes and everything I needed for a couple of weeks. Still had my Klim riding gear and purchased a new helmet. Secured an airbnb in Tucson because I decided it best to just hang and get familiar with the bike while outfitting it.

Still had my x grip off my old bike so the phone mount was easy.
    Bought and installed a cup holder.
    Pulled the USB from the safety card box and attached phone cord and routed through steering Column.
    Figured out how to take off the Tupperware and fish a power cord down to the battery from my heat gear.
    Attached pigtail to the battery and put in the frunk for air compressor and battery tender use or whatever else I needed for.

Bought one of those can am carry on suitcases that fits in the frunk and that works out pretty well.

All in all I had a pretty good time and some pretty awesome rides out of Tucson. Not used to having that many different roads to choose from quite overwhelming compared to Alaska.

Used Google maps with my smartphone for navigation and that worked pretty well except for the areas that don't have service.
    Going to buy and install a Zumo XT on my next trip down end of March.

I Bluetooth my noise canceling earbuds to my phone and that works out great!

About 4 years ago I contracted vestibular narratus, have never really recovered 100% so my balance is a little off, that's why I went with the Spyder.

After putting about 1500 miles on the bike I have to say it's a joy to ride, and never had to put my foot down

End of March thinking about traveling up to Seattle where my sister lives and store the bike there until my next trip, The oil will need to be changed at that point and I prefer to do that myself. The bike may have a tad bit over 3000 miles but I don't think that's going to be an issue.

4 years ago I rode a BMW K 1600 GTL up the Alaska highway solo, So that might be an option but then I'd have to drive back down in August if I want to use the bike outside next Winter.

What's hard is not having the bike in my garage, I essentially have to do all my maintenance and such in a parking lot.

Next time around I'm going to be traveling and staying at hotels so that's going to be a little bit different as far as figuring out what to take.
    Definitely going to downsize my toolkit now that I pretty much know what I need.

So for the money I think the spyder is a pretty good value although I wish it had a couple items like air pressure sensors and remote locks, these were standard on my BMW GTL. But Hey you can't have everything and you just have to go with what's there.

Thanks for the form and ride safe,

Jay
    and Glad to have you on board....Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

One tip for using Google maps is to map your expected routes when you have internet access, then you will notice that Google will prompt you to "download offline directions" and this will allow you to navigate via GPS only.
    Also my opinion on 'oil changes in a parking lot' would be a real PITA! There is limited ground clearance and getting to both drain plugs is not easy without jacking up the Spyder. You'll need a pretty shallow drain pan also.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

We left Alaska in 2019, after 20 years there. Put about 150,000 miles on five assorted Spyders. I stayed off the dirt roads. Did not get to bored, even though we covered the same paved highways again and again. We enjoyed our lives there, but have moved to the South and can now drive 12 months a year.

Love Arkansas, and do not miss Alaska.

In AK, I was known as akspyderman.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Bert,
    The roads in Alaska are mostly all paved as is the entire Alaska highway. My Install a belt guard but the dealer in Tucson said gravel roads aren't really an issue.

Knobby,
    I know about saving a trip In Google maps, just forget. The other issue with using a phone is it's hard to see in bright sunlight; when my transition lenses in my eye glasses get dark I can't see any detail on the screen.
    Plan on doing my first oil change in Seattle, have lots of family there so shouldn't be an issue. Can't imagine doing it without ramps, blocks or stands.

akspyderman,
    The big issue for me here is all the summer traffic and road construction, but love the ride up the old Richardson highway. 50+ years up here, still love it, just want to see the rest of America while I still have good health.

Jay
    Jay, Anchorage AK

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Ryde Time

Sounds like you have most things under control.
    Enjoy your Ryde Time and Stay Safe. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

It's so good to hear tales like yours, it sounds like a lot of fun!!! And to have a home in Alaska, and be based out of there, OMG!! Been there once, got friends in Anchorage, that state is amazing to me and when I go back, I hope I can find a place where I can rent a Spyder to cruse the country site with!!! Good luck in your travels, keep us posted on how you're doing!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you've pretty much got it under control. The only things I might offer is that you can get tire pressure monitors that work thru your phone, also Im not so sure about the need to carry an extra belt, maybe Im wrong but I have yet to hear of anyone actually being stuck on the road with a broken belt, although I highly recommend getting the belt guard if they make them for the newer bikes, if not you could probably fashion one yourself from some sheet metal. I put an airbag protector on the bottom of the bag on my 17 RTL just recently and this was after having done about 100 miles of dirt, gravel and some rocky trails and one time even got stuck in a mudhole and had to be pulled out by a truck.The mud was up to the floorboards and the belt actually slipped like an old fan belt for about a mile. After all that my belt still looks great and the airbag was almost clean at the bottom when I put the protector on. One last thing is that I can change my oil with out any lifting, you just have to know where the drain plugs are and what size and you need a large shallow drain pan to slide under.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-01-2022 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spaces....
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 907Guy View Post
    Bert,
    The roads in Alaska are mostly all paved as is the entire Alaska highway. My Install a belt guard but the dealer in Tucson said gravel roads aren't really an issue.

Knobby,
    I know about saving a trip In Google maps, just forget. The other issue with using a phone is it's hard to see in bright sunlight; when my transition lenses in my eye glasses get dark I can't see any detail on the screen.
    Plan on doing my first oil change in Seattle, have lots of family there so shouldn't be an issue. Can't imagine doing it without ramps, blocks or stands.

akspyderman,
    The big issue for me here is all the summer traffic and road construction, but love the ride up the old Richardson highway. 50+ years up here, still love it, just want to see the rest of America while I still have good health.

Jay
    Yes, the summer traffic can be a real bear. We did the Richardson/Parks loop a few times. Did the Denali highway once, in our Subaru. Would not ride that one on a Spyder though. PS...the rest of America is very nice. I have seen most of the West (west of the Mississippi), and the state and national parks are worth every minute. We are amazed at the beauty of Arkansas. Linda thinks we did good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yes, the summer traffic can be a real bear. We did the Richardson/Parks loop a few times. Did the Denali highway once, in our Subaru. Would not ride that one on a Spyder though. PS...the rest of America is very nice. I have seen most of the West (west of the Mississippi), and the state and national parks are worth every minute. We are amazed at the beauty of Arkansas. Linda thinks we did good.
    Obviously you two have really enjoyed the spyders, for me it's going to be solo adventures, my wife isn't really interested and still works full-time.
    It's hard being 3000 miles away from my spyder for sure, can't tinker with it or nothing. So for now it sets in a 10x10 storage unit in Tucson awaiting the next adventure.
    BTW, it just barely fits in that 10x10 with about a half inch clearance, had no idea it's 10 feet long!
    Jay, Anchorage AK

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tucson Trips

How often do you get to Tucson to Ryde?
    Just curious if you have any plans to move to Tucson, AZ.
    I have a brother who lives there. I am planning to visit him next week.
    Maybe we could meet up. ....... : )
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    How often do you get to Tucson to Ryde?
    Just curious if you have any plans to move to Tucson, AZ.
    I have a brother who lives there. I am planning to visit him next week.
    Maybe we could meet up. ....... : )
    That would be great but unfortunately I won't be back down to Tucson from Anchorage tell end of March, than I'll be heading to Seattle.

My long range plan is to fly down to the lower 48 every couple months and tour for a couple weeks.

This Summer I'll probably bring the spydie north on the traditional Alaska highway route in early to mid May than ride back down through Canada on an easterly course mid August.

Plans do have a habit of changing!
    Jay, Anchorage AK