Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Comparison of windshields and mods on 2014 RTL

We have two 2014 RTLs.

Mine has the original windshield which presented a strong backdraft on my shoulders and some helmet buffeting (I'm 5'10"). I had a 2005 Yamaha Vstar previously and was able to create a quieter cockpit windwise by installing Saeng microswirl edging on the stock windshield. Recently I bought Saeng's latest version of this product to try on my Spyder. A 10 mile test ride in the countryside with the windshield at different heights convinced me the edging is definitely creating a larger, quieter cockpit bubble. Not much change in the backdraft though - it's still there, but not quite as objectionable.

We bought my wife's 2014 RTL used and it came with the F4 Customs tall/wide windshield with the adjustable vent https://f4customs.com/windshield-for...er-rt-rts.html.

I took that on a quick jaunt for comparison purposes. With that windshield all the way up, the wind flow on my arms was reduced, but the helmet buffeting was more pronounced than my stock shield even without the edging. The back draft was as strong. Opening and closing the windshield vent had no effect on air turbulence for me, except with it open I now had a strong airflow to my chest. When I lowered the windshield the head buffeting became very pronounced, to the point I would not be able to tolerate it on a long ride.

If I were to consider one of the newer machines, it would be because BRP had finally engineered into it a quiet, calm cockpit with no back draft. Meanwhile, I'll stick with what I've got and continue searching for a mod that will provide the wind protection that large expensive touring machines are supposed to be known for.

I can't imagine that large hole in the windshield of newer machines does much good, and seems it would be a detriment in cold weather if you can't close it, but maybe I'm missing something.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Whatever windshield you get, specify it have a flip - reverse curve. They work! I prefer to look over a w/s and a flip shoots the wind way up, as if was a much taller w/s. I am also 5-10 and have an extra wide 18" 7Jurock, with a flip, they made to my specifications. FYI....Cost was $70 shipped!
    7Jurock is easy to work with. Give them a call and tell them what you want.
    Sorry about the upside down photo - I don't know how to correct that .

Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Not only do I not know how to flip a photo so it reads correctly, I don't know how to delete a post. I tried to delete my post #2 and failed.
    HEY ADMIN!! What's the trick to deleting a post??
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Not only do I not know how to flip a photo so it reads correctly, I don't know how to delete a post. I tried to delete my post #2 and failed.
    HEY ADMIN!! What's the trick to deleting a post??
    Send a PM to any one of the Mods!

You can't delete them any more, that facility has been removed, as it was being abused... Too many deleted posts means the Search Engines (google, bing, etc) get too many rejects/failed searches after they've initially identified that there's a post present with whatever content/keywords (which usually takes ONLY a few minutes after hitting submit! ) so they were dropping the Forum/Forum posts from their search results - and THAT hurts the viability of running the place; severely limiting its usefulness & cost effectiveness to the owner and to our sponsors, and if it'd degenerated any more, it could well've meant the Forum's closure!! It came VERY CLOSE to that, and amongst other things, is one of the major reasons that there are now Moderators here!

Similarly, too many edits after the fact that change a post's contents significantly can also harm the Forum's viability, which is why we actively discourage people from 'emptying' or gutting the original content out of their posts once they've been put up! If that 'significant editing' thing becomes much more of a problem, the 'Edit Posts' facility by Members may also need to be limited or possibly even removed!

Anyhow, I take it you want your original post @ post #2 gone?? I can do that for you, so there's no need to send a PM this time.

As for the pic being upside down, I can't help much except to remind people that the Forum Software uses the Top LEFT corner of any pics as its 'Anchor Point', so if you are taking pics on your smartphone, most of which use the Top RIGHT corner in Portrait Mode as their Anchor Point, you should always try to take your pics intended for the Forum in Landscape Mode, and turn the phone Anti-Clockwise from Portrait position to do that! No Guarantees tho, there are aslso size AND dimension constraints - but the Forum does seem to prefer Landscape mode pics!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2021 at 09:05 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter, good information there. The reason for my edit was to add the last sentence, but that created a new post. Now I know to proofread well and make certain I write all I intended to say.
    Thanks Again.

Spyder Garage

Pete,

Have you test road a new 2020/21 RT. I noticed a vast improvement in wind reduction as compared to my 2014 RT.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Pete,

Have you test road a new 2020/21 RT. I noticed a vast improvement in wind reduction as compared to my 2014 RT.
    No I haven't. Thanks for the feedback.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My results differ-------- BRP vented windshield. No buffeting for myself or passenger. Only back draft is when shield is lowered and vent is closed. Nova ( you've met her ) sez that the passenger turbulence is just above her head and she can feel it when she lifts up a few inches.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

My results differ-------- BRP vented windshield. No buffeting for myself or passenger. Only back draft is when shield is lowered and vent is closed. Nova ( you've met her ) sez that the passenger turbulence is just above her head and she can feel it when she lifts up a few inches.

Lew L
    Thanks Lew. I was actually thinking about you when I wrote my OP. I remembered your past comments on the topic. Does your experience change any when riding without a passenger to block the backdraft?

To clarify, you have the original windshield and you added the vent yourself, right? I wonder how the location of that adjustable after-market vent affects results...?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever windshield you get, specify it have a flip - reverse curve. They work! I prefer to look over a w/s and a flip shoots the wind way up, as if was a much taller w/s. I am also 5-10 and have an extra wide 18" 7Jurock, with a flip, they made to my specifications. FYI....Cost was $70 shipped!

I did check out their website https://www.7jurock.com/products/can...-rts-2010-2017 and a similar windshield now is about $170. Still a good deal if it fixes the problem. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did check out their website https://www.7jurock.com/products/can...-rts-2010-2017 and a similar windshield now is about $170. Still a good deal if it fixes the problem. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I need too proofread my proofreading. I paid $170 shipped, not $70. Sorry.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting discussion about causes and solutions of buffeting with windshields. He discusses the reverse flip (not a fan) https://youtu.be/hFIaptiWQew

Here's a discussion of helmet buffeting affected by different windshield heights and a Freedom Shields with a reverse flip (he likes it) https://youtu.be/ywc55CN8jL8

Another one with the Freedom Shield ... he says it reduces buffeting considerably https://youtu.be/BAmPtm1ulf0

(Freedom Shields doesn't make them for Can-Am, but the shape with the flip at the top is very like the 7Jurock shield)

This one has a tall 7Jurock on an F3. Mixed feelings about it https://youtu.be/efmEH-jI9vU?t=478

My takeaway from these;
    Buffeting is created by the negative air pressure behind the windshield
    The air rushing to fill that vacuum comes from all around the windshield, including from below
    Some windshields (i.e. those with large vents in the center) seek to reduce this negative pressure by 'leaking' air through the windshield into the cockpit
    Others seek to shift the airflow higher, so the helmet is out of the turbulent air
    The reverse flip on some windshields seeks to throw the air coming over the top 2" higher than without the flip, thus enabling a lower windshield height for the same effect
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another variable in windshields is the material they're made of. The material has no effect on wind management but does affect cost.

7jurock are made of acrylic, which is stiffer and more likely to develop stress fractures at mounting points. But, they are considerably less expensive than those made of polycarbonate (e.g. F4 Customs).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only way, I think, to drastically cut down on the back draft is to design the rear of the Spyder into a taper, ala the tail of a fish or the trailing edge of an airplane wing. Air flowing around any box shape will have swirls and low pressure on the downwind side. Hurricanes rip bricks off the back wall of a building much more often than off the front side. My flags fly backward all the time, especially at highway speeds. My F4 tall & wide reduces the wind hitting my arms but it increases the backflow. On a dirty rainy highway my windshield will have more dirt on the backside than the front side.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    My flags fly backward all the time, especially at highway speeds. My F4 tall & wide reduces the wind hitting my arms but it increases the backflow. On a dirty rainy highway my windshield will have more dirt on the backside than the front side.
    Interesting tradeoff with the larger 'shield.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Interesting discussion about causes and solutions of buffeting with windshields. He discusses the reverse flip (not a fan) https://youtu.be/hFIaptiWQew

Here's a discussion of helmet buffeting affected by different windshield heights and a Freedom Shields with a reverse flip (he likes it) https://youtu.be/ywc55CN8jL8

Another one with the Freedom Shield ... he says it reduces buffeting considerably https://youtu.be/BAmPtm1ulf0

(Freedom Shields doesn't make them for Can-Am, but the shape with the flip at the top is very like the 7Jurock shield)
    I'll be darned. Freedom Shield does make shields for Spyders, available exclusively from Lamonster garage http://www.lamonstergarage.com/freed...eld-lamonster/ These are made of acrylic, have the flip at top edge. They come in different heights and tints and are 4" wider than stock.

Looks very much like the 7jurock one, but $300 instead of $180. I wonder if there's enough of a difference in quality to justify the much higher price tag? I know Freedom Shields has a great reputation.

Has anyone ever used a Freedom Shield and can comment on it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For anyone interested in a highly technical discussion about the aerodynamics and engineering behind windshield design, I can suggest this from CalSci who makes windshields from acrylic and claim to eliminate buffeting and backdraft by closing off the factory vents and replacing them with a T-shaped vent higher up on the windshield. There is no recurve or flip at the top of the windshield and he explains why not.

For someone like me, who wants to know the why behind every what, it's very satisfying and compelling reading.

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thanks Lew. I was actually thinking about you when I wrote my OP. I remembered your past comments on the topic. Does your experience change any when riding without a passenger to block the backdraft?

To clarify, you have the original windshield and you added the vent yourself, right? I wonder how the location of that adjustable after-market vent affects results...?
    I have a BRP vented windshield. Vent placement is important. Too low and incoming air hits the dash/ to high and it interferes with visibility.I added a GW vent to shield on my Valkyrie and it worked as advertised. Mike at Calsci said it perfectly but I knew the aerodynamics a long time ago. Vented windshields will fill the bubble of low pressure air--- moving it up and back. A passenger will fill this bubble also. Someone mentioned flags---- mine fly as normal ( behind the flagpole). We have a still, non turbulent cockpit.
    I don't know about his statements about louvers though. Mine work just fine at high speeds. Nice to be able to close them in the rain too.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After much dithering, I ordered and installed the Saeng edging on my stock RT windshield. I noticed a reduction in turbulence at the helmet with the windshield at the lowest position. At the highest position my helmet already was out of the airstream and had minimal buffeting, so the Saeng edging made no difference. Backdraft was minimally reduced. At about $100, this provided the most benefit for the money I think.

But, determined to find a solution to the backdraft issue, if one exists short of redesigning the back of the bike as IdahoMtSpyder suggests, I ordered a Cal-Sci windshield in Large, which is 2" shorter and 4" wider than the stock shield. This shield replaces the two small vents on the stock shield with one larger elongated cutout in the center, a little higher up.

Although this shield is shorter than stock, which puts the top half my head is in the airstream even at the highest windshield setting, the cockpit is noticeably 'quieter' than with the stock shield without the Saeng edging and somewhat quieter than stock with the edging. By quieter, I mean less turbulent air. The backdraft is less severe and a little lower on my shoulders, but still present.

Adding the Saeng edging provided a slight benefit to quieting the cockpit, but not enough to justify the expense to my mind anyway. It does provide a nice finish to the roughly cut edges of the Cal-sci windshield, and I like the way it frames the shield, defining the cockpit visually. But it also interferes with my view over the lower windshield, so I may remove it. The jury is out on that.

I've concluded that helmet buffeting can be successfully managed with the a better windshield design from stock. Some have had success with the reverse curved windshields, like the 7jurock or the Freedom shield. For me, I like the way the Cal-sci works and looks on my bike. I don't think the backdraft issue can be solved with a windshield; that's more of an aerodynamic issue of the RT's design. I'd be curious whether the F3 has this backdraft issue to the same degree.

The Cal-sci shield is slightly more curved than stock (see photo). The maker claims the unique vent design eliminates the air blast on the rider, and I think that is true. I like being able to put the shield at the lowest setting, enabling my head to be in the breeze, but not buffeted at all. And, I like that the more squarish shape of the shield greatly reduces airflow on my arms.

20210530_121747.jpg shows the rough finish on the shield cut edges

20210530_121722.jpg shows the increased curvature of the shield; have to be very careful installing the 4 bolts holding the shield

20210531_092853.jpg shows the Cal-sci shield with Saeng edging.
    2014 RTL Platinum