Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTL headlights not lighting up

On a recent ride my wife (driving in front of me) noticed my headlights were not on.

I've checked R6 by swapping with hers and that's not it.

I've not done anything to the bike since I last rode it a year ago, except to swap out the dead battery.

Any ideas of what to check next?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

All relays & fuses. If fog lights come on when running should indicate most is working, double check /swap bulbs as well if not too much trouble. Maybe good time upgrade to LEDS would want know has proper power first.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    All relays & fuses. If fog lights come on when running should indicate most is working, double check /swap bulbs as well if not too much trouble. Maybe good time upgrade to LEDS would want know has proper power first.
    I have LEDs for headlights and fog lights, so that's not it. Both headlights are not working so swapping them is not likely to accomplish anything.

I agree I need to verify power to them, but where to start? The 2 fuses that I pulled and R6 are good. Everything else electrical seems to be working.

Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Pete. Which fuses did you check? Looking at your owners manual it would be Right side box JCase fuses, (the square ones) F4 and F5?

By the way, I had a premature failure of an LED lamp with my first set of LEDs. Pulled out the assembly, put in an old good bulb, it lit up just fine, got a replacement set of LEDs under warranty. Point is that it wouldn't be unheard of that they could have failed around the same time. Try a good bulb.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hey Pete. Which fuses did you check? Looking at your owners manual it would be Right side box JCase fuses, (the square ones) F4 and F5?

By the way, I had a premature failure of an LED lamp with my first set of LEDs. Pulled out the assembly, put in an old good bulb, it lit up just fine, got a replacement set of LEDs under warranty. Point is that it wouldn't be unheard of that they could have failed around the same time. Try a good bulb.
    Hi Doug. I did not check those square fuses. Not sure how to remove them; do I just pull them straight like other blade-type fuses?

I suppose I could pull the Tupperware and check for power at the two headlight connectors. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Hi Doug. I did not check those square fuses. Not sure how to remove them; do I just pull them straight like other blade-type fuses?

I suppose I could pull the Tupperware and check for power at the two headlight connectors. Thanks.
    They come straight-out like the little ones. There's probably a special plastic tool that's preferred, but if you are careful, needle nose will do.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/582/JCase-Fuse-Puller/

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Ya if still have the old H bulbs Test with those, engine has to be running though. E51B230F-F513-4D6F-9E21-00B1E03320AA.jpg adapter for other bike also uses H4 bulb

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Ya if still have the old H bulbs Test with those, engine has to be running though. E51B230F-F513-4D6F-9E21-00B1E03320AA.jpg adapter for other bike also uses H4 bulb
    Thanks for the diagram, but can you please explain it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have a meter go from ground to the low connection and see if you have voltage while the bike is running.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    If you have a meter go from ground to the low connection and see if you have voltage while the bike is running.
    Yes, I have the tools and meters needed. Which connector are you referring to?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Make sure the high/low beam switch is not bad or stuck in between HI/LO??? Also relay(s) http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/top...eadlamp-relay/
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    Make sure the high/low beam switch is not bad or stuck in between HI/LO??? Also relay(s) http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/top...eadlamp-relay/
    I did replace R6 relay with a known good one and that didn't help. Is there another relay I should check?

It sure would be nice to get a wiring diagram for the lighting circuit....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post

Okay, I've checkout R6 in the left box. It's good.
    Checked out the following in the right fuse box, and they are all good; J4, J5, R1, R2

Nothing left now but to pull the Tupperware and check the actual bulbs. What do they say in troubleshooting; it's always the last thing you check, right?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

..... What do they say in troubleshooting; it's always the last thing you check, right?
    But surely that's ^^ only true if you actually find a fault/get a result???

Cos if you can't find anything to fix or resolve the issue, then by default ( de fault of you can't find anything to fix! ) that particular 'issue' becomes an 'undocumented feature'!! This is widely recognised as a prime tenet of 'the BRP Method of Beta-testing'.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-07-2021 at 10:35 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    But surely that's ^^ only true if you actually find a fault/get a result???

Cos if you can't find anything to fix or resolve the issue, then by default ( de fault of you can't find anything to fix! ) that particular 'issue' becomes an 'undocumented feature'!! This is widely recognised as a prime tenet of 'the BRP Method of Beta-testing'.....
    Well, I'd better figure it out 'cause I've got no headlights working...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Well, I'd better figure it out 'cause I've got no headlights working...
    The more you tell us, the more it sounds like it's gotta be a lack of power at the headlight globe plugs, or possibly a matching pair of blown globes??!

Any chance you could've had a rodent or two in there behind the headlights; or maybe have pinched the wires somewhere?? Still, either way, it does sound like it's time to pull the tupperware and get in behind those headlights to check things out.... Sorry.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The more you tell us, the more it sounds like it's gotta be a lack of power at the headlight globe plugs, or possibly a matching pair of blown globes??!

Any chance you could've had a rodent or two in there behind the headlights; or maybe have pinched the wires somewhere?? Still, either way, it does sound like it's time to pull the tupperware and get in behind those headlights to check things out.... Sorry.
    I'll keep y'all updated as I methodically track this rascal down! But now, it's time to turn in for the night. Take another crack at it tomorrow.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sorry to say my friend, there's only one way to find out and you have been dodging the the bullet, you have to dig into the lights and see if you have power up there!! I wired a four way switch in my house one time, screwed with that thing for two hours, just knew I had the wiring right to all those switches, but then started to second guess myself. After wiring and rewiring, my farther come by and said, Michael, did you check your bulb to see if it was good!!!!! Good Luck Pete!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Make it as complicated as you like, but pretty much if you have the ability to hear the shutter cycling the wiring and power is likely fine. Change the bulbs and quit screwin around.

Bulbs should be the first check. If fuses failed or relays fail, fine, but not that common, AND for a fuse to fail it takes time to sort out.

Bulbs are known low life span items, just like front pulleys, fix it and be done. Not difficult, but if beyond your ability get help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Make it as complicated as you like, but pretty much if you have the ability to hear the shutter cycling the wiring and power is likely fine. Change the bulbs and quit screwin around.

Bulbs should be the first check. If fuses failed or relays fail, fine, but not that common, AND for a fuse to fail it takes time to sort out.

Bulbs are known low life span items, just like front pulleys, fix it and be done. Not difficult, but if beyond your ability get help.
    Thanks for the reminder to check for the shutter cycling between high and low beam. I thought I'd done that, but maybe not.

As for the last comment, I'm not ready to admit I can't do these things myself. When that's true, it's time to get rid of it I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

Thanks for the tip on cycling the hi/lo beans. I did that and yes, the shutter has power. Wish I'd done that first, but at least I've learned a few things about my bike I didn't know before.

Time to change the bulbs probably. What is the consensus these days on the best LEDs to get? I'm inclined to try Lamont's.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The headlight connector when you disconnect it from the bulb. But sounds like you are going with LED's. I just installed Benebolt LED on my RT. But have not had time to finish putting the Spyder back together yet to tell you if they are better.

Always seem the LED are either going out at the worst time and really liked the Benebolts on my vehicles so far.

Spyder Garage

When you get the bulbs out make sure to check to see if there is power there before putting everything back together.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    The headlight connector when you disconnect it from the bulb. But sounds like you are going with LED's. I just installed Benebolt LED on my RT. But have not had time to finish putting the Spyder back together yet to tell you if they are better.

Always seem the LED are either going out at the worst time and really liked the Benebolts on my vehicles so far.
    I had replaced my headlights and fog lights with LEDs from a former vendor here 4 years ago. The left headlight went dead just a few months later and I replaced it under warranty. Thankfully my fog lights are still good because those are a real bear to replace, especially the left one.

I've just ordered a set from Lamont; they're different from the ones he was originally selling I think. So, the technology and marketplace seems to be constantly evolving.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Replaced my led headlight bulbs with Lamonster kit today. Now they work again. That's all that was wrong with them, apparently.
    2014 RTL Platinum