Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hotel Parking Lots & Traveling - what precautions do you take?

For those experienced Spyder Travelers…….what precautions do you take to protect your spyder from theft and vandalism?
    I know there some GPS locators available to add…….thinking about that.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Put a cover on it and make sure you have good insurance. You can't fix stupid .

Spyder Garage

Park under lights and hopefully visible from your room. Find a motion alarm device and install if possible.

Spyder Garage

What I do.

Travel with a half cover. Try to get close to the front door, or, lots of places let motorcycles park under the entrance canopy. Don't leave anything on the bike you don't want to lose.

So far it has never been a problem.

I have added a small remote controlled alarm that I got cheap off Amazon. Mount it solidly to the frame so it picks up vibrations and it's effective. The only one to set it off so far is a couple curious kids while I was in a restaurant and my own forgetfulness.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I carry a heavy wheel lock that I used to use on my Harley’s. It goes through the holes on the front but in this case with a Spyder in the rear brake disc. There is no way they will be able to get that off

Spyder Garage

I travel the same way as EdMat and have not had any problems. If you have any questions about hotel security ask at the front desk. I have done that at times and have been invited to park in the front door portico overhang.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Use common sense as described above. Don't allow the worry to invade the enjoyment of your travels. If worse comes to worse just keep enough in your debit card account to get you home safely.

Spyder Garage
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I once stayed in a motor inn "Fancy Motel" down by Disney Land in California
    it was built in a circle with the pool, hot tubs and such in the center lots of grass
    each room on ground level had a patio with sliding doors going from the room
    out to the pool area, there were breezeways about every 200 feet from the parking
    lot to the center pool area...NOW that I have painted the picture of the place
    for you .... I went into my room to check it out noticed the sliding glass doors and
    the light went on in my head.... I opened the doors, went out to where I had parked my bike
    a 1977 Honda GoldWing went through the breeze way closest to the room and you got it,
    pulled it into the room and closed the doors. Just in case I put magazines under the tires
    since Honda's don't leak oil like the American brands I did not put a drip pan under it...
    you should have seen the room service maid when she came to clean the room.....
    I was young and daring then.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Half cover works great! I use that when we park in any town and walk also, set the helmets on the seat, install half cover, and feel fine.
    Before I used the half cover I would find people sitting on it upon return to the bike, and I would have to carry the helmets with me.
    Half cover has stopped all of that.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

As others have said, it depends on the hotel or motel and their location. However, as a general rule, I prefer to stay at a small motel, in a ground-floor room, so I can park the Spyder (or motorcycle) just outside the door. A motion alarm sounds like a good idea, but if you park close enough as I described, you could even tie a fishing line between the bike and your toe or wrist.

The only time I've had an issue was when I had a brain fart and left my shaving kit (which unfortunately included my eyeglasses) on the seat. Even though I returned moments later, the kit was gone. On the other hand, I made the two-week round trip from California to Milwaukee for HD's 100th anniversary without ever having a problem.

Cheers,
    Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have traveled the highways for over 50 years and never had a problem. I used to carry a chain and chain the bike to a post. Later a cover would do it. Now with the Spyder I sometimes put a cover. I also look for motels in good parts of town, well lit, and can sometimes park where ight is visible from the front desk. I must say tho many times I just parked, took the key and went to bed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2021 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Models = motels. Looking for models is a whole diffrn't thing! ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I had a motion alarm on our GL1800. Great for running off kids that thought it was there for them to climb on. However at motels I could not arm it if Vtwins were also around. Also turned out to be a great alert of thunderstorms passing through.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    put a cover on it and make sure you have good insurance. You can't fix stupid .
    ^^^^this^^^^^
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

A few years ago I stayed at a reputable hotel in VT. There was a number of MC in the lot (no Spyders). Luckily I got there early and cabled my bike to a light pole. During the night a team of flatbed and wrecker came in and stole three MC's. Looks like they tried to take mine but I had a hardened steel cable on it. It was quite long and cost a lot but was worth it.

My point is you are taking a chance when you leave it overnight but what choice do you have? I still have my cable.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky