Spyder Garage

Default Help - 2012 RSS with shifting problem after riding

I bought a 2012 spyder rss se5 last year and noticed sometimes it wouldn’t go into gear after riding it and turning it off and on. It’s doing it more frequently and is totally random. I also noticed sometimes when I turn it off the chime alert doesn’t go off letting you know the emergency brake isn’t on so not sure if that’s a clue as to what may be wrong. Any help is appreciated as I’d like to fix it myself before going to the dealer and paying arm and a leg to find the issue and repair

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Menace920 View Post
    I bought a 2012 spyder rss se5 last year and noticed sometimes it wouldn’t go into gear after riding it and turning it off and on. It’s doing it more frequently and is totally random. I also noticed sometimes when I turn it off the chime alert doesn’t go off letting you know the emergency brake isn’t on so not sure if that’s a clue as to what may be wrong. Any help is appreciated as I’d like to fix it myself before going to the dealer and paying arm and a leg to find the issue and repair
    I’ve checked all fluids and everything is good

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Parking Brake:
    Sticking micro switch. Remove right side panels and find the front pulley for the parking brake cable. Operate the parking brake and observe how the tab operates the micro switch. The switch is actuated when the brake is disengaged, and released when the brake is engaged. Switch plunger and operating arm need to operate freely without any drag. Check if arm is bent and straighten if necessary. Clean up the area - compressed air - a spritz of lube such as spray silicon or CRC.

Shifting:
    A little more complicated.
    The basics - the engine has to be running.
    Even though I don't have to on the 2012 RT, some folks say that they must have their foot on the brake in order to shift out of Neutral. If it only affects shifting into Reverse, then focus on the R button - any binding or dirt.
    Inspect the shifter arm under the left side for signs of looseness or excessive wear or play between the arm and the shaft. Lots of history on SLs site on that. Do a search if you find that problem.
    If maintenance history isn't well known, consider either replacing the HCM oil filter with new, or doing a complete oil change and replacement of both filters.
    Yes, maintain proper oil level. And there have been instances of failure of the paddle shifter switch. As a last resort, you may have to remove the HCM suction line from the oil tank and clean the screen. That is hardly ever required. It's usually something simpler.
    Any questions about how the SE5 transmission works, refer to this document:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13kC...ew?usp=sharing

P.S. - And as a general rule, whenever anything doesn't operate correctly on a Spyder, even if it doesn't always make sense, ensure you have a good battery, and battery connections that are clean and tight. If you still have the 2012 battery in it, dump that sucker and replace it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Menace920 View Post
    I’ve checked all fluids and everything is good
    On the v-twins ( mostly ) there were quite a few reports of the GPS ( gear position sensor ) failing .... I had an 11 RSS and this issue got progressively worse .... Dealer couldn't find the reason ( new dealer / Tech ) ... but at Spyderfest 2014 I had the good fortune to have a BRP factory Tech look at it ... He found 240 old codes in the computer relating to the GPS ... He suggested that Tech contact Him directly .... The TEch did and learned how to diagnose this problem .... BRP fixed it under warranty ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    On the v-twins ( mostly ) there were quite a few reports of the GPS ( gear position sensor ) failing .... I had an 11 RSS and this issue got progressively worse .... Dealer couldn't find the reason ( new dealer / Tech ) ... but at Spyderfest 2014 I had the good fortune to have a BRP factory look at it ... He found 240 old codes in the computer relating to the GPS ... He suggested that Tech contact Him directly .... The TEch did and learned how to diagnose this problem .... BRP fixed it under warranty ..... good luck .... Mike
    Good Point. So Menace - When your shifting problem happens, glance down at your gear position indicator on your display and see if it is doing anything abnormal - such as indicating "E" of flashing between to positions.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

It doesn’t show a E or anything like that it just has the N and will not switch into first or reverse.

Spyder Garage

Thanks I will try that out