Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default sea to sky backrest

Just pulled the plug on a 2021 Sea to Sky, and it seems that backrests are on backorder until who knows when. Anyone using aftermarket they are happy with?
    [SIGPIC][img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.prov.png?states=[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.prov.png?states=BC.ABhttps://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.prov.png?states

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought I read the older backrests work on the newer models???

But maybe I was reading something else , I am sure someone else will chime in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I thought I read the older backrests work on the newer models???

But maybe I was reading something else , I am sure someone else will chime in.
    I believe you read the the older backrests will NOT work on the newer models!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Utopia. I've had (3) on various bikes and can't say enough good about them. They're made to order so they don't keep anything in stock but well worth the wait and the price. (I think I paid ~$250 for my current one on my 2021 RT.) IMO, there's just nothing else better out there at any price.

Spyder Garage

Bought a ShowChrome for my 2021 RTL. Did not care for it at all.
    Ordered a Utopia...anxious to get it..be here around May 12.
    Have had Utopia backrests on my last 3 bikes...should have known better than to try something else.
    Didn’t realize how much I appreciate the Utopia until I tried the ShowChrome.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Utopia made a custom backrest for my Sea to Sky. I actually sent him my passenger backrest so he could match it.
    He did an AWESOME job of matching the thread and the pattern of the passenger seat so it looks like it came with the bike from the factory.
    It is very comfortable, adjustable, and easily removed if the need arises.
    2021 Sea to Sky , Highland Green

Spyder Garage

For what it is worth, I purchased a Sea to Sky and backrest was also on backorder. Within 3 weeks it came in and is now installed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pbokie59 View Post
    For what it is worth, I purchased a Sea to Sky and backrest was also on backorder. Within 3 weeks it came in and is now installed.
    Same here.

Spyder Garage

And???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Same here.
    To be specific, which back rest are you two Guys talking about? And Pictures please........................
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    To be specific, which back rest are you two Guys talking about? And Pictures please........................
    When you go to CanAm's website and select Build Your Own/Customize they only list one driver backrest for the Sea To Sky model. The specific part number is 219400957

Here is a pic of mine installed.

3C3B3C76-3F7D-4201-95FD-3952365B5B4D.jpg
    Edit: I do not know why my pictures load sideways on this forum or how to fix it!

3C3B3C76-3F7D-4201-95FD-3952365B5B4D_1_201_a.jpg
    Edit 2: I give up, someone please tell my how to upload a photo so it displays correctly!

Spyder Garage

Bob at Utopia sent me a backrest receiver to try on my 2021 RT Limited heated comfort seat (should be the same as S2S except stitching patern and logo). Fit perfect, so I asked him to charge my card and ship the rest of the kit. Utopia has always had a bit of lead time (I have one that went on our '06 GoldWing new). They have a link on their site to estimate production schedule.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I'm happy enough with the BRP backrest. My only nitpick would be that when you fold it forward for the passenger to get on it does not stay down on it's own it has to be held down. My only other experience with a backrest was on a different motorcycle and I bought a Mustang seat and backrest and that backrest stayed folded over until manually raised back up.

The BRP rest is comfortable and hits me in the right part of my back. It has some adjustability, but mine was in the right spot for me as it came from the factory. It is removable without tools, but I would not classify it as a quick remove. You have to lift the driver seat and pull the security wire/pin forward to release the back rest in order to remove and push the wire/pin back into place when putting the backrest back into the seat. I suppose that provides a bit of security from easy walk-by theft, but that's not something I worry about when it comes to a backrest.

Spyder Garage

Same part number as previously listed. I do have the BRP armrests installed in case anybody wants to see what that combo looks like.

seat pic.jpg

Spyder Garage

Same part number as previously listed. I do have the BRP armrests installed in case anybody wants to see what that combo looks like.
    I just caught that you are from OKC, small world, two STS in OKC!

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The backrest on my 2015 and the 2020 are identical, its the hardware that mounts under the seat that is totaly different.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

do the arm rests fold up or out for passenger entry?
    [SIGPIC][img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.prov.png?states=[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.prov.png?states=BC.ABhttps://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.prov.png?states

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cbredneck View Post
    do the arm rests fold up or out for passenger entry?
    2020/2021 BRP RT armrests (all that I can find presently) swing out. Perhaps pbokie59 could give us a comparison photo with them swung out?
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    2020/2021 BRP RT armrests (all that I can find presently) swing out. Perhaps pbokie59 could give us a comparison photo with them swung out?
    I do not have arm rest on my 2021 RTL but I have seen them mounted on other 2020’s. They swing out maybe...maybe 15 degrees. They do not swing out near far enough for me to pay the exorbitant price for them. It looks to me like a passenger would have a difficult time getting on/off with the OEM arm rest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Utopia. I've had (3) on verious bikes and can't say enough good about them. They're made to order so they don't keep anything in stock but well worth the wait and the price. (I think I paid ~$250 for my current one on my 2021 RT.) IMO, there's just nothing else better out there at any price.
    I have a 2021 STS and wondered if you could post a Pic of your Utopia backrest on your Ryde. Like the sound of this. Thanks in advance.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

BTW, Bob at Utopia indicated that they had made backrests for S2S. He even sent pictures of the upholstery. I suggest you email them through their site. Beware that this is a busy time of year for motorcycles.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I ordered from Utopia on May 3rd and was given a May 17th ship date (so 2 weeks out from time of order). Many positive reviews on Utopia so looking forward to getting it installed.
    Cheers
    Kevin

Spyder Garage

Here are some photos of my custom Sea to Sky Utopia seat.
    Note that the leather and the stitching match the original passenger backrest. Also note that there is a pouch on the back of the driver backrest that is removable. My wife loves it because it gives her a handy place to store some things and it covers all the metal parts of the driver's backrest bracket.

Utopia Seat Front.jpg

Utopia Seat Front 2.jpg

Utopia Seat Back.jpg

I love the backrest. It is very comfortable. It lowers out of the way easily when I am getting on and off the bike. It is also quickly removable.

He did an awesome job!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-01-2021 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Fixed per post #28
    2021 Sea to Sky , Highland Green

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pics... Gonna order mine right now!
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Morturf View Post
    Thanks for the pics... Gonna order mine right now!
    You will love it. I actually ordered the Utopia for my '06 GoldWing before buying the bike. The first night home, I plunged a bread knife into the seat (necessary for mounting on that model). The only time it came off was when my wife rode with me as she makes a very comfy backrest.
    1976 RD400c