Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket Again!!

Well today's ride ended real short. I have 2016 RTL that this is the second time the front sprocket has kicked the bucket. At 1642 miles the front sprocket was replaced and today at 5175 miles it has gone south yet again. I guess a PMCS will be due each rided before and after to look for the dreaded red dust. FYI there is no warning when it decides it no longer wants to ride, both times it had been running fine no vibration, no indication at all. This time stopped at light, made a right hand turn got to second and before I could shift to third, she was gone.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

This has been a huge problem which i think BRP should do a recall!!

Spyder Garage

Did you put the last sprocket in yourself, or dealer? Did it take the teeth out of the shaft or sprocket?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    This has been a huge problem which i think BRP should do a recall!!
    I don't think they've worked out exactly why it's happenning yet! And unless they already know that, then given what WE know about it at the moment, any 'recall solution' they could offer would be at best, a band-aid style temporary solution that only treats the symptom and doesn't necessarily address the true cause of the problem; plus, that 'solution' is likely to be one that many may need repeatedly!! Chasinsparks experience being a good case in point!

So with any luck, BRP are (slowly?? ) gathering data on the why's & wherefore's of these front sprocket failures, and they'll eventually come out with a proper fix! But given their past track record, I really wouldn't hold your breath for that!! Then again, any 'true fix' may end up being a re-design that can only be implemented on newly constructed engines, so maybe those experiencing this now on their existing machines will just hafta put up with it or upgrade!! Wouldn't be a first from BRP, would it?!

It's a bloody good thing that our Spyder/Rykers are such a great ryde (when/if they're working! ) isn't it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Dealer did the install, I'm not exactly sure what/how they replaced it. I have not taken it apart to see yet had it tow to my new dealer and will see how bad it is in the morning.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Agreed, have you heard any chatter about 18-21 models having the issue. I'm was fortunate enough my buddy let me and wife ride his F3L and he jumped on his wife's bike. I really like how his 18 F3 handled and sat. Thinking of going and trying a 2021 RTL and F3L and see which I like better.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Agreed, have you heard any chatter about 18-21 models having the issue. I'm was fortunate enough my buddy let me and wife ride his F3L and he jumped on his wife's bike. I really like how his 18 F3 handled and sat. Thinking of going and trying a 2021 RTL and F3L and see which I like better.
    I had to change out my wife's 2018 F3L sprocket at 32,000 miles due to the rust issue.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I have to do my wife's F3T 2018. It has light red dust at 8000 miles.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-03-2021 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Caps - F3T
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Dealer did the install, I'm not exactly sure what/how they replaced it. I have not taken it apart to see yet had it tow to my new dealer and will see how bad it is in the morning.
    I am wondering if the job was done right, that's why I asked!!! Good Luck anyways, sounds like there's a new platform in your future any ways!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I am wondering if the job was done right, that's why I asked!!! Good Luck anyways, sounds like there's a new platform in your future any ways!!!
    Honestly not sure if it was done right or not and the dealer that did the repairs I no longer use. I have a new shop that both my riding groups use for all their needs and have been happy with everything they have done for me so far and trust they will get it right. Now, I'm very interested in checking out the F3L Vs the New RTL and also curious will there a be a redesign on the F3 since it was last done in 2016.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Front sprocket has been replaced, dealer stated there was updated last summer. What that means I do not know. Got to love good service bike was there a 9 am this morning and ready for pickup at 3:15.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Front sprocket has been replaced, dealer stated there was updated last summer. What that means I do not know. Go to love good service bike was there a 9 am this morning and ready for pickup at 3:15.
    I heard the new front sprockets are white now... Time will tell if that new sprocket is a temp fix or permanent.

Spyder Garage

We shall see if the new one does the job. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA as this has happen twice to me in only 5175 miles and numerous people have had the same issue seems this would be a good candidate for a recall. You can not get out of traffic fast enough when it goes with no warning.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

...I filed a complaint with the NHTSA as this has happen twice and numerous people have had the same issue seems this would be a good candidate for a recall. You can not get out of traffic fast enough when it goes with no warning.
    Every Spyder owner who has experienced a sprocket failure, particularly those who have experienced multiple failures, should file a complaint. It's high time BRP got their s**t together on the problem.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you were able to get it fixed. That is very low milage, especially to have 2 failures. I was not aware that it was an issue with the RT models. I have mostly heard about F3 versions having an issue. Guess I learn something new everyday.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

once again i have to ask do you use the transmission as a brake or do you let the bike shift down on its own

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    once again i have to ask do you use the transmission as a brake or do you let the bike shift down on its own
    Are you implying that manually down shifting for engine braking accelerates front sprocket wear? If so, I don't buy it.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yes and you should

Spyder Garage

I pulled the front sprocket on my 2018 RTL with around 10K miles for inspection while install a new rear tire a couple weeks ago. It still had a nice coat of grease on the splines, showed no sign of wear on the sprocket or shaft. Reinstalled with fresh moly paste assembly lube. I wonder if alone the line some were assembled dry without grease?
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    yes and you should
    Down shifts are mild compared to full power up shifts. What facts to you have to support your theory?
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Every Spyder owner who has experienced a sprocket failure, particularly those who have experienced multiple failures, should file a complaint. It's high time BRP got their s**t together on the problem.
    I totally agree. Anyone who's had this problem should file a claim.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, yes 2 times.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

I do both. I do not buy that downshifting would be the root cause of the failure. If BRP engineers determine that downshifting causes the problem, they would certainly need to return to the drawing board for a a complete redesign of a FAIL system. BRP has upgraded the pulley (the new pulley being grayish white), just my guess the material or design of the teeth on the original were flawed.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I pulled the front sprocket on my 2018 RTL with around 10K miles for inspection while install a new rear tire a couple weeks ago. It still had a nice coat of grease on the splines, showed no sign of wear on the sprocket or shaft. Reinstalled with fresh moly paste assembly lube. I wonder if alone the line some were assembled dry without grease?
    What color was your sprocket? For the supposed upgraded sprocket they are white/grayish which is what I now have.
    To be continued....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the only diff in the two sprockets is the white coating