Spyder Garage

Default How to Buy a New Spyder from Dealer - Sight Unseen

Hi All,

Newbie here and in the market for a 2021 sea to sky and have started shopping around.

My local dealers here in the Vancouver Washington area are charging a lot on top of MSRP. From Pro Caliber PowerSports I was quoted on top of MSRP (and not including taxes as that is state specific): Freight +1095, Prep/Assembly +600, Doc Fee +150. I may go to them for service after the deal becasue they do have laser alignment equipment for Spyders

Even in this hot buying time that seems very high! So I have been shopping other dealers and have request for quotes in for shipping. Even with shipping I can save about $1,000. A small amount in comparison to the total price but seems worth going for unless I am missing something. Ive never purchased a vehicle of any kind sight unseen from an out of state dealer

iMotorSports is out of stock at the moment , they seem to be on this site as a trusted source even though there are some complaints about Mike

Finally my question: Have others purchased sight unseen to get a deal and used 3rd party shipping? If yes how was the experience and what are any lessons learned / recommendations? Do you ask the dealer to provide proof of doing a series of checks ? I have seen some reference on this forum to iMotorsports complete inspection but have no idea what it includes

Appreciate any advise and thanks in advance!

Spyder Garage

May sound extreme but you could fly out to the selling dealer and ride it home. Think of the adventure! Get a price lock 1st and jump a flight! I nearly did that (booked the flight) but my local dealer came within $200 of the deal I was offered the day before flying out so I bought local.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    May sound extreme but you could fly out to the selling dealer and ride it home. Think of the adventure! Get a price lock 1st and jump a flight! I nearly did that (booked the flight) but my local dealer came within $200 of the deal I was offered the day before flying out so I bought local.
    This is exactly what I did back in 2014 .... I found a great deal ( $4000.00 below MSRP for an RT basic with SE trans. ) in Illinois ( a very large multi- bike and auto dealer ) they picked me up at the airport and had the Spyder ready ... off I drove .... PS no shipping or prep fee's ( I paid the Tax in Vt. when I registered it ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

The deals are out there and if you're buying new, they're all the same. Between my wife and I we've owned seven Spyders. I have bought all of them over the phone and have trailered only one home. And I've only bought one from my local dealer.

When you're ready to pull the trigger Google Can Am Spyder Dealers and start looking on their home pages and you'll be able to see their inventory. When you see the one you want, call and talk to the Owner, GM or Sales Manager (a decision maker). If you're not ready to buy, don't waste their time. When you talk to them, they're going to know you're a ready, willing and able buyer and prepared to put down a deposit. The rest is easy. Get it in writing and you'll have a VIN number so you can get it insured.

My wife just bought a 2021 F3 Limited two weeks ago ($2500 below MSRP and no other fees. We pay sales tax here.). When I called, we had a deal in less than 10 minutes, it might have been only five. I put down a deposit and we were there the next morning (600 miles away) to pick it up. That's the one we trailered home.

Just go for it.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Please don't get me wrong, I am 100% pro Spyder, love my '14 RT-S; however, having read here on SL about owner experiences of MY 2020 & 21 RTs with fit and finish issues I would NOT buy sight unseen. I would schedule with selling dealership time to be at shop to observe assembly from the crate, take a test ride and ride it home.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Copperman , for the 5 Spyders you bought not local and not trailered, I assume then those are sight unseen? What process / precautions did you take with the dealer or did you just have them ship and you receive it and all worked out perfect?

Spyder Garage

All, thanks for all your advise! Going to be an interesting week of negotiations and decisions next week!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Please don't get me wrong, I am 100% pro Spyder, love my 4 RT-S; however, having read here on SL about owner experiences of MY 2020 & 21 RTs with fit and finish issues I would NOT buy sight unseen. I would schedule with selling dealership time to be at shop to observe assembly from the crate, take a test ride and ride it home.
    Unfortunately Few too many with quality control errors making out door & off sales floor after more eyes could have caught the obvious issues mentioned. Even viewing @ dealership impulsive anticipation may lead to things overlooked, Wright out a physical check list in addition to dealer introduction “walk around”. & ya go over the safety card list provided on the bike too. Good luck &

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eschmid2 View Post
    Copperman , for the 5 Spyders you bought not local and not trailered, I assume then those are sight unseen? What process / precautions did you take with the dealer or did you just have them ship and you receive it and all worked out perfect?
    I bought sight unseen and put down a deposit. I then picked them up and rode them home.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my first spyder (2014 RT) from a dealership in Texas. They were $5500 below sticker. They set up a separate shipping company that they had worked with. The shipper charged just above $800 to ship it to NC. When it got here, the shipper had inspected it before loading. He allowed me to inspect it as he unloaded it. I then signed the paperwork and was riding in 15 minutes. My second spyder (2016 F3T) was purchased from Imotorsports in 2017. The transaction was flawless and it was delivered to me at my vacation location (Pigeon Forge, Tn), since they were not able to get it to me the day before I was to leave. We met in a Walmart parking lot and he looked over my trade in, I looked over the new bike, we signed papers and I was out riding in 20 minutes. Put over 1500 miles on my new spyder in the NC/Tenn. mountains in the next 4 days.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I bought 2020 RTL sight unseen off internet and the fit and finish around passenger hand holds is horrible

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    I bought 2020 RTL sight unseen off internet and the fit and finish around passenger hand holds is horrible
    There is a update for that, take it to a local dealer for repair under warranty.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi Everyone - thought I would provide an update as the OP - I ended up finding the best deal about 3 hours drive away so I made my down payment on a new sea to sky yesterday and when the bike is ready will get a ride to the dealer and drive the bike home so a combination of sight unseen for the decision and commitment and will be in person for the pickup and drive home - so my first ride on my first Spyder will be 3 hours from central Oregon to Washington - very excited!

Spyder Garage

Hi Everyone - thought I would provide an update as the OP - I ended up finding the best deal about 3 hours drive away so I made my down payment on a new sea to sky yesterday and when the bike is ready will get a ride to the dealer and drive the bike home so a combination of sight unseen for the decision and commitment and will be in person for the pickup and drive home - so my first ride on my first Spyder will be 3 hours from central Oregon to Washington - very excited!
    Good for you! In 2013 I bought my first Spyder at a dealer 140 miles away. At the time, I had maybe five miles on a Spyder. It was mid April and cold and raining. I took a trailer to tow it home. Ha! I rode that baby home and, as they say, the rest is history.

Enjoy and good luck.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

My 1st ride wasn't that far. I got mine early Jan of 2021 and it was a cool, balmy 38 degrees for a 45 mile ride home.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't purchase either of mine sight unseen but the 1st was delivered to me in an enclosed trailer. On the 2nd (different dealer), I rode it home an hour in a frog strangling rain.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    Same with my 2020 RT base. AND........that is with the new trim pieces installed by them about three weeks ago. I'm not too happy about any of the trim on this 24000 dollar machine. Sucks for me, my dealer is a vacation day every time I visit.

Good luck.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I had not even sat on an RT before buying mine from a dealer a long way from home in September 19.. 2018 demo unit with 1100km/700 miles on it, $10,000 off MSRP (end of season at a small dealer in Northern Ontario who knew if he didn't move it FAST, it would sit until next May).. I hopped on a plane, flew to the dealership, spent the night at a nearby hotel, had them come get me in the morning.... went over the bike and signed off, and then spent the next two days riding it 1500km/ 940 miles home from Thunder Bay Ontario to where I was living just outside Toronto. Nearly crapped myself the first 100km (I had many years on 2 wheels but no idea about how different 3 is!!) but by the time I got home, felt so happy with my decision!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Northofthesix - now that's an adventure with bragging rights there !! NICE !!

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Please don't get me wrong, I am 100% pro Spyder, love my '14 RT-S; however, having read here on SL about owner experiences of MY 2020 & 21 RTs with fit and finish issues I would NOT buy sight unseen. I would schedule with selling dealership time to be at shop to observe assembly from the crate, take a test ride and ride it home.
    As A 2020 owner I can't stress enough about taking delivery at the dealership, Everything looked good on mine as I bought it at the dealership and had it delivered.

Everywhere where they installed accessories was overtightened with a power driver and stripped out. Didn't realize it until I took it out on the highway the first time and the knee panel popped off the frame.

Also do not order any OEM seats or accessories from the dealer right now. I have had my spyder for over 2 months now and I am still waiting on my passenger seat and foot pegs from BRP.

When I bought the bike the dealer has stated they would be in "in 2 weeks" so far that date has been pushed back 3 times and it is not only me there are several other ryders in our group that have bought 2020 and 2021's with no sign of our seats and footrests from BRP.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Only have ~200 miles on our new 2021 RTL so far (planning another 150 or so today). Had a full tank when delivered (from iMotorsports - delt with Mike and had no problems). The only prep isdue that I've found was ~10 psi too much in each tire. I've had all three right side covers off to install GPS power and everything checked out in there. Heated Comfort Seats and adjustable air deflectors were the only BRP options that I went for.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c