Spyder Garage

Question Quality Control on 2020-21 RT's? Owners comments?

Hi Folks, I'm new to the group but will be purchasing a Spyder RT Limited within the next month or so basically whenever a good deal comes my way. I've heard some talk that the 2020-2021 Spyder has some issues with various things regarding quality control, bugs if you will. I realize there are Spyder haters whom will post negative issues just to put the Spyder rep down, and there are those whom are never happy with anything they purchase. That being said I'd like to hear from the 2020-2021 owners about what issues they or friends have had with those newer models, and why there are so many used 2020's available at dealerships. I'm buying a Spyder regardless but would really value your experience. Thanks Jim

Spyder Garage

Bought my 2020 RT Base last Sept. I've ridden the crap out of it and I'm just under 7k miles now.
    I have had no problems at all so I guess mine wasn't built on a Monday or Friday.
    All rides get a lemon now & then but generally if you buy new from a good dealer odds are high you'll enjoy a trouble-free experience.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Rita and I bought our 2020 RT June 2020 and have put over 12,000 trouble free miles on it. We’ve ridden all Michigan UP, Indiana, Ohio, the mountains of Georgia, both Carolinas and all types of riding. We live in Florida and ride pretty much daily so we’ve experienced all types of riding and the bike has been amazing. We’re two up all the time and have gone on 10 day trips that were absolutely perfect.
    IMHO this bike is fantastic, we are old HD tourers and average 15,000 miles a year and are headed that way for this year on the Spyder. We’re full time motor home dwellers based out of Florida. We have six other full timers that all base out of the same resort and all purchased 2020 RTLs and ride quite hard, all past HD riders and everyone of us are completely happy with our decision.
    A couple of us had a high pitch “whine” for the first 3-4000 miles, a subject covered extensively in this forum. The more miles we put on the stronger the bike gets. Six full time motor home couples, all in our 70s have reservations across the west for five months and none of us are towing a cage, Spyders only. That should tell you something about how much enjoyment we get from the bike. Not any problems or complaints from any of us, and believe me we are fussy. Custom paint, all the farkles and loving our bikes more each mile (and that’s a lot). 12 seventy plus year olds declaring that these bikes have been one of best ever golden year investments.
    2020 RT , Custom Black Metallic

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RTL and have over 7,000 miles with no issues at all. I have owned 5 Spyders in all and have logged
    over a 100,000 miles combined with very little issues with any of them. I think that BRP has gotten most of the
    bugs worked out and one thing I can say about them is they do listen to the customers when we make suggestions
    about the Spyders and what we would like to see improved or changed.

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

I've got a 2020 RTL and have about 11,000 miles on it so far. It has been reliable and drama free (knock wood), as did my previous 2014 RT. That one went over 60k miles before I got a new one just because.

My here's my observations/criticisms about the newer design:

The body work is not as good. The paint is thinner and scratches more easily. And, the black unpainted plastic used is very much prone to scratching.

I don't like the new body work attachment system using metal clips versus screws. I know screws were a PIA, but they just seemed to hold better and wouldn't tear anything in long-term usage. (In working on cars I've found these same clips to have a tendency to tear plastic when used several times.

The rider's seat mechanism is cheap and flimsy. It works, but it's honestly kind of cheesy.

I think the side and top case latches were more robust on the older models.

The new LED lights are really good, but the clear plastic lens covering is soft and picks up a lot of dings from normal use. Much more than any other car or bike I've ever owned.

Now, having written all of that, I really like my 2020 and these comments are only posted in the spirit of letting the OP make an intelligent decision when shelling out a ton of money.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

A few fit and finish issues but nothing that would stop me from buying again.

Engine and tranny are rock solid as is the suspension.

(I ride my 2020 RT hard and have about 4K on it now.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpepsiguy View Post
    Hi Folks, I'm new to the group but will be purchasing a Spyder RT Limited within the next month or so basically whenever a good deal comes my way.
    Call Ridersville Cycle in Berkeley Springs, WV (https://www.ridersvillecycle.com/) for the best deal. Talk to Dawn. If you're a no trade buyer, they have the best prices.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Had my 21 RTL since Nov. of 20. not a lick of trouble. I do agree that the paint shows hairline scratches. couple coats of polymer will fix that. this is my second spyder. the only issue on my 18 RTL was that pesky brake locking at the most inopportune times. BRP recall fixed that under warranty. Go for it! you won't regret it.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

What is polymer and how do you apply it. Thanks, Jim

Spyder Garage

Casting/machining issue causing oil leak. Waiting for complete engine replacement.
    Took me 500 miles to finally realize I had a serious problem.
    Think I'm one in a Million!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your input, appears to me the lemons are far and few between

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Got my 2020 in August of last year 5,000 trouble free miles and LOVE IT. Most riding we do is 2 up, headed out for a 2 week trip in July towing the camper and headig out west again. Not a worry in my mind that it will not be trouble free as all of the trips in the past on the 2015 have been. However, if it is not, that is all part of the adventure of touring, you adapt, and you go with it.

I do agree that the black plastic shown scratched WAY to easy and the paint is not near as tough as on the 2015.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    Casting/machining issue causing oil leak. Waiting for complete engine replacement.
    BRP had engine casting problems back in 2014, the first year for the 1330...(oil leaks)...Very few had them but there were some...My dealer had 1 that I know of...Several others on here reported them...larryd

Spyder Garage

Not sure BRP follows there own torque specs but other then that my 2021 is fine. Knock on wood.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    BRP had engine casting problems back in 2014, the first year for the 1330...(oil leaks)...Very few had them but there were some...My dealer had 1 that I know of...Several others on here reported them...larryd
    I think I'm the only one so far with this issue on the block.
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I've got a 2020 RTL and have about 11,000 miles on it so far. It has been reliable and drama free (knock wood), as did my previous 2014 RT. That one went over 60k miles before I got a new one just because.

My here's my observations/criticisms about the newer design:

The body work is not as good. The paint is thinner and scratches more easily. And, the black unpainted plastic used is very much prone to scratching.

I don't like the new body work attachment system using metal clips versus screws. I know screws were a PIA, but they just seemed to hold better and wouldn't tear anything in long-term usage. (In working on cars I've found these same clips to have a tendency to tear plastic when used several times.

The rider's seat mechanism is cheap and flimsy. It works, but it's honestly kind of cheesy.

I think the side and top case latches were more robust on the older models.

The new LED lights are really good, but the clear plastic lens covering is soft and picks up a lot of dings from normal use. Much more than any other car or bike I've ever owned.

Now, having written all of that, I really like my 2020 and these comments are only posted in the spirit of letting the OP make an intelligent decision when shelling out a ton of money.
    Now you have a good excuse to upgrade to the new 2021 gen ..........

Spyder Garage

Have you looked to see if it has any hidden H-D stickers ? Like the old panheads, it may be trying to mark its territory .............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyTX View Post
    Have you looked to see if it has any hidden H-D stickers ? Like the old panheads, it may be trying to mark its territory .............
    Back when I had my goldwing the few on HD's would say "watch out for the rice" coming out of my exhaust- I would slowly point out "it's for the oil leak under your bike".
    End of conversation!
    Its all fun and games until an HD owner gets his feelings hurt
    2018 RT-L , Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Engine

So how long will you have to wait until the replacement arrives and is installed? Are they going to give you a loner Spyder? How about a sweet deals for some BRP Gear?

Hope it all works out for you. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruita View Post
    Rita and I bought our 2020 RT June 2020 and have put over 12,000 trouble free miles on it. We’ve ridden all Michigan UP, Indiana, Ohio, the mountains of Georgia, both Carolinas and all types of riding. We live in Florida and ride pretty much daily so we’ve experienced all types of riding and the bike has been amazing. We’re two up all the time and have gone on 10 day trips that were absolutely perfect.
    IMHO this bike is fantastic, we are old HD tourers and average 15,000 miles a year and are headed that way for this year on the Spyder. We’re full time motor home dwellers based out of Florida. We have six other full timers that all base out of the same resort and all purchased 2020 RTLs and ride quite hard, all past HD riders and everyone of us are completely happy with our decision.
    A couple of us had a high pitch “whine” for the first 3-4000 miles, a subject covered extensively in this forum. The more miles we put on the stronger the bike gets. Six full time motor home couples, all in our 70s have reservations across the west for five months and none of us are towing a cage, Spyders only. That should tell you something about how much enjoyment we get from the bike. Not any problems or complaints from any of us, and believe me we are fussy. Custom paint, all the farkles and loving our bikes more each mile (and that’s a lot). 12 seventy plus year olds declaring that these bikes have been one of best ever golden year investments.
    I am still plugging away on my 2016 F3T and loving it. My 2 riding buddies purchased new 2020 RT Limiteds and they seem very happy. I decided to add another 2 wheeler to my stable in the form of a 2018 BMW K1600B.
    But all I have to add to this conversation is that the poster above is living my dream. Yes, I am so envious of you right now, but I wish you all the good fortune and fun that life holds for you, and I hope to do that someday myself. God Bless.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Back when I had my goldwing the few on HD's would say "watch out for the rice" coming out of my exhaust- I would slowly point out "it's for the oil leak under your bike".
    End of conversation!
    Its all fun and games until an HD owner gets his feelings hurt
    Yeah, some can be overly sensitive.