SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default QUESTION, how much do you hate digging out your battery on older models

I have been asked how I relocated the battery on my 2008 GS
    this can also be done on the RT models as well.
    If you are sick and tired of attempting to access your battery for whatever reason
    you may want to do this modification. All you do on the GS-RS-RSS models is drag out all your tools
    grab your ear buds and turm up the volume so you can't hear yourself cussing while you remove your
    saddle bags, then the saddle bag mounts then ALL the plastic body panels raise the seat and with a little
    luck you should find the battery laying on it's side all strapped in.... Remove the battery, head on over to your
    favoite auto parts supply and buy the black and red cable the same size as is on your spyder along with the
    correct size cable butt connectors and the eye ends that go on your battery. you will need a good soldering iron
    or small torch to do this job.
    Be sure to route the cables correctly so they do not get melted, *** check out picture #5 ***
    wires that were melted, they were to close to the hot exhaust ( I wrapped mine )
    MORE photos in the next post.
    Battery #1.jpgBattery #2.jpgBattery #3.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 05-01-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Continued from above post.
    be sure to keep all the wires away from the exhaust, for the battery box here
    I used a small Harbor Freight ammo box I pop riveted and JB welded to the floor of the
    front trunk, I made a battery proof cover for all you see in the pictures. this did not take
    up much room in the front trunk. the hardest part of this mod was taking off and re installing
    all the stuff to get to the battery in the back..That is a stupid place for the factory to put a battery
    and I guess they must have moved it up front on later units because of complaints from owners
    and dealer service techs.

Battery #4.jpgBattery #5.jpgBattery #6.jpgBattery #7.jpg

Spyder Garage

I have often thought that when they got thru with the design and were looking it over,some little jr engineer asked"where is the battery?" A hush falls over the group as they realize it needs a battery! Under the seat was a neat hole so they decided to stick it there.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I joined the "hate" club, but space in the frunk is at a premium for me when touring... so I groan and moan every few years to pull things apart to get at the battery.

Spyder Garage

Ain’t no fun with it in the frunk on my 2014 rs either. Placement designed for dealer service by snowmobile engineers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got rid of my side bags and just use the frunk and a large rear case. I replaced all screws with Dzus fasteners. Battery replacement is now quick and easy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    I got rid of my side bags and just use the frunk and a large rear case. I replaced all screws with Dzus fasteners. Battery replacement is now quick and easy.
    By any chance, did you do a write up on this? And if not, coud you either post some pics or PM them to me? Sounds like a great alternative.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Dave, what are the smaller wires and fuses for, in the last few pics?
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Dave, what are the smaller wires and fuses for, in the last few pics?
    Super bright LED driving lights, cigarette lighter for charging phone, and for use of any 12 volt accessories
    plus battery tender