Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Damaged Belt from Rocks-Should I get a belt guard?

I have not had this happen yet,but……
    How many folks out there have had damage done by rocks caught between driven sprocket ?
    Trying to justify the purchase of a belt guard @$50.
    I’ve ordered the guard.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

It happened to me. A rock about the size of a pencil eraser. It put a hole completely through the belt. New belts are about $300.00 and the stealer was about $200.00 to install. And then I had to correct their belt tension and alignment. I put a guard on and never had a rock problem again..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    It happened to me. A rock about the size of a pencil eraser. It put a hole completely through the belt. New belts are about $300.00 and the stealer was about $200.00 to install. And then I had to correct their belt tension and alignment. I put a guard on and never had a rock problem again..... Jim
    Can you link to the guard, I don’t recall seeing one yet and I invariably end up on a gravel road from time to time.

Spyder Garage

There are plastic and metal guards. Have read here somewhere that the plastic is preferable in case something lodges between the belt and tire the plastic will disintegrate but the metal may jam up and damage the tire. I have half mile of gravel to get to tarmac and have same concern as well as occasional necessary ride on gravel for road construction, detours, etc. Very little room for a guard between belt and tire, have not made a decision as many have ridden years w/o issue. CANAMJHB mentions the obvious potential. Anxious to hear more.

Spyder Garage

Vendor here Spyderpops has what you need.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OEM belt was damaged by a rock. About $500 to get it replaced by the dealer. Bought a plastic belt guard and it was junk. It either rubbed the belt or the tire and was supposed to be mounted with double-sided tape. Just how long would that last. Here's the belt guard I ended up with.

https://customspyderworks.com/collec...-for-spyder-st

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    OEM belt was damaged by a rock. About $500 to get it replaced by the dealer. Bought a plastic belt guard and it was junk. It either rubbed the belt or the tire and was supposed to be mounted with double-sided tape. Just how long would that last. Here's the belt guard I ended up with.

Thanks for the info, I’ll check it out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    I have not had this happen yet,but……
    How many folks out there have had damage done by rocks caught between driven sprocket ?
    Trying to justify the purchase of a belt guard @$50.
    I’m convinced…..I ordered the belt guard……better safe than sorry.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post

I looked at the pic ..... That looks like it would prevent rocks from only ONE side of the belt ..... The one I made is similar but has a flat , slightly slanted piece covering most of the belt .... hasn't fallen off yet ( about 36,000 mi. ) ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

A belt guard was one of the first things I added to my

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

A belt guard was one of the first things I added to my

Lew L
    Did you have to lift the machine or at least the rear end to install and what tools or any drilling required? I understand there is very little clearance there when installing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    Did you have to lift the machine or at least the rear end to install and what tools or any drilling required? I understand there is very little clearance there when installing.
    The Custom Spyder Works aluminum belt guard comes with 2 self-taping screws. So you only get one shot at mounting it correctly. Yes, lift the back of the spyder to give yourself better working room. Also if you can, secure the guard some way after you position it properly so it doesn't move around while you're installing the guard. You can call Custom Spyder Works and they can help with any other install questions you may have.