Spyder Garage

Default Looking for high mileage Rykers & any problems you may have had?

Only Rykers (600, 900, Rallye) with over 10,000 miles, please. List any serious problems you have had so far. I have 11,123.0 miles on mine, no problems, original tires, shocks, exhaust, sway bar, never aligned since delivery.

Spyder Garage

Original tires

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

changed the rear tire (Toyo T1R) after 17.000 miles to a Hankook Ventus - no real problem till now, no other costs than the oil-change and the service ..
    (still looking for better front-tires)
    Last edited by chris56; 07-18-2023 at 03:32 AM.
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    changed the rear tire (Toyo T1R) after 17.000 miles to a Hankook Ventus - no real problem till now, no other costs than the oil-change and the service ..
    (still lookninf for better front-tires)
    Which Ventus model; there are three?
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Which Ventus model; there are three?
    I use the Ventus V 12 EV02 .. one of the best, more Grip and better brakes !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Thanks Chris
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

I think I got the 1st Ryker Rally sold in the Indianapolis area back in early 2019. Now I have 27,000 miles on it. Here is my list:
    1 New final drive unit due to oil leak, Warranty
    2. Replace fuel pump myself due to whining noise and ultimate failure.
    3. Replace the exhaust manifold gasket Under warranty. Manifold vibrated loose.
    4. Replace the oil cooler gasket due to oil leak - under warranty
    5 Replaced Gauge cluster due to faulty buttons under warranty.
    6. Hit a pothole and through my stirring off a bit which I fixed myself.
    7. Replaced cvt belt 2 times with normal maintenance. Did it myself.
    8. New back tired Dunlop Direzza DZ102
    9. Replaced rear Brake calliper as I stripped a bolt as I was too dumb to use a torque wrench.

Plus normal maintenance.

That's basically it

Spyder Garage

Thanks, just what I was looking for!

Spyder Garage

I can't believe only 3 riders have exceeded 10K miles on their Ryker....who else is out there?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a guy that posts in the Facebook Ryker groups. He has around 60K miles on his Ryker.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Anyone else have a Ryker with higher mileage? Not quite to 3000 miles on mine yet.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2023 at 07:33 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

I've had my 2021 Ryker Rally for about 6 months now and have over 6100 miles on it with no issues so far except for the whining noise from the fuel pump on a hot day. Bringing it in for the first oil change this weekend. I ride it everyday to work (30 miles round trip) and have been out of state a couple of times on it. At this rate I will have over 12,000 miles on it at one year of ownership and will need to perform the two year 12,000 maintenance on it. I keep my fingers crossed that I remain issueless.
    2021 Ryker , Black & Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    I think I got the 1st Ryker Rally sold in the Indianapolis area back in early 2019. Now I have 27,000 miles on it. Here is my list:
    1 New final drive unit due to oil leak, Warranty
    2. Replace fuel pump myself due to whining noise and ultimate failure.
    3. Replace the exhaust manifold gasket Under warranty. Manifold vibrated loose.
    4. Replace the oil cooler gasket due to oil leak - under warranty
    5 Replaced Gauge cluster due to faulty buttons under warranty.
    6. Hit a pothole and through my stirring off a bit which I fixed myself.
    7. Replaced cvt belt 2 times with normal maintenance. Did it myself.
    8. New back tired Dunlop Direzza DZ102
    9. Replaced rear Brake calliper as I stripped a bolt as I was too dumb to use a torque wrench.

Plus normal maintenance.

That's basically it
    That sounds kind of excessive for warranty claims in less than 30K....

Spyder Garage

2022 Ryker 900 Sport with about 10500 miles on it after about a year here.

Everything was pretty good up until about 5000 miles, where I started getting a P0303 misfire code which would spit limp mode at me without the RPM lock, or sometimes dump speed and drop a cylinder.

Took it in a good number of times to the dealer over the course of the next 5000 or so miles (since this is my commuting vehicle I still have to use it), where they replaced spark plugs, did the full vehicle walkdown for the 6000 mile maintenance, replaced the lower pulley array on the CVT since the sheaves were stuck open around 9000, and some filter and oil replacements at 10000. Still getting the code, so I'm weighing my options at this point.

Outside of that annoyance, no real problems after pretty heavy use.

Spyder Garage

If you're interested in high mileage, check this out - there might be some interesting Rykers for you in this thread:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...chieved-so-far

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Well, I've had my share of problems.

The first, most serious, and most costly problem was a broken roller on the driven pulley of my 2019 Rally. It appeared almost immediately after I bought it used with 2300 miles on it. I took it to the closest dealer. They replaced the entire secondary pulley and belt – the service writer said that they had “bad luck” replacing only the broken part. He also claimed that he had seen this problem on Can Am ATVs, but never on a Ryker. The service tech failed to notice that the lower inner shield had been damaged. It destroyed itself, and the belt, about 20 miles on my way home from the repair. My insurance covered the tow back to the dealer. To the dealer's credit, they cannibalized parts from a showroom model, and got me back running 2 days before a long-planned 8-day 2600 mile trip with my brother and friends. But the repair bill was $1250 (out of warranty).

The dealer also replaced the wheel nuts under recall.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V683-6109.pdf

Day three on that trip, 800 miles from home, the fuel pump started whining. It was so loud, I thought that an alarm was going off. Of course I was very concerned. But the noise would come and go, and the fuel pump kept working. The whine would go away, usually with a fill up, and gradually went away almost altogether.

However, the fuel pump eventually failed at 15100 miles. Symptoms were a few random stalls at speed, then stalls at nearly every stop sign. Fortunately, I was never left stranded, as it would restart after a minute or so. I replaced just the fuel pump motor and fuel pressure regulator for $90 myself.

https://www.fuelpumpfactory.com/prod...aces-548874036

With the new parts, the whine was gone, for a time. When it came back, I applied the fuel pump whine fix. $6 for the kit.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...77426-0001.pdf

I replaced the belt at the same mileage, using the original belt that the service writer ordered replaced. A dealer charged me $90 to reset the transmission maintenance indicator, and applied the fender wiring fix under recall.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V799-8897.pdf

As I got more comfortable with the motorcycle a few weeks into riding it, I noticed a definite left turn bias in the stability control kicking in. In fact, it would never kick in on right turns, no matter how aggressively I cornered. Finally, at 11,100 miles, I took it to a dealer. I had read this service bulletin:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81946-0001.pdf

which I pointed out to the service writer. He was an arrogant ____ and dismissed it. I doubt he even mentioned it to the tech. Both he and the tech said that they rode the motorcycle, and there was no problem. I suspect that they just didn't push it hard enough in corners. “TEST RIDE AT LOW AND MODERATE SPEEDS, TURNS BOTH DIRECTIONS. NO ABNORMAL FEELING... NORMAL FOR A RYKER.” The tech said tire pressure, alignment, sensors were all good. $170 for basically nothing.

A month ago I decided to order the Ryker Steering Update Kit P/N 219800513 and install it myself. Installation calls for resetting the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) and yaw sensor, which I found to be necessary, so I bit the bullet and got a BUDS2. I like to do my own repairs, so I should have gotten the BUDS2 day one. The closest dealer is 2 hours from me, so any trip to the dealer costs me a day, or in some cases two days and a trailer rental. No more. $30 for the kit; $600 for the BUDS2 (which I have also used on my Sea Doo Spark). Problem fixed.

Rear tire replaced at 15,900 miles. I removed the wheel and took it and a new tire to a dealer for mounting and balancing. $60.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the exhaust manifold gasket was leaking. Torquing the bolts didn't help. I replaced the gasket. By the looks of it, it should have been replaced long ago. But, as my stereo is quite loud, it took me a while before I noticed it. $30 for the gasket with shipping. Oddly, I can find no mention of this part in the 2019 Service Manual, including no torque specs.

None of these problems are really high mileage related. It does speak to the reliability of my Ryker. I consider all of these problems (other than belt and tire of course) to be manufacturing defects. I think all should have been covered by Can Am.

Let's compare to another experience I just had. I have a Garmin Zumo that I used on a previous motorcycle and now my Ryker. There is a power switch on the back, covered by a flexible button molded into the rubber back to make it waterproof. Last Sunday I noticed that the cover had failed, and the button was falling off, which it did. Of course, now the electronics are exposed to water. (It rains a lot here in Florida summers.) I contacted Garmin, and was told they did not have a replacement part. I was offered a replacement unit, no charge, even though my 4-year old unit was long out of warranty. They paid expedited shipping – it is arriving today – and paid return shipping of the old unit. Now, that is service!

I still like my Ryker. Hopefully these reliability issues are behind me. Currently at 18K miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images