Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Guage - Digital

Took the analog gages out and put in voltmeter. Fuel gage would register fuel when filled. About 4-5 fillups ago the digital gage would not register full anymore. 1 empty square at the top.
    Evap cannister removed. Still not showing full tank. Anyone else have/had this problem?
    I know I can check mileage before fill ups, but wondering why gage inaccuate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How did you know you had a full tank to begin with? Maybe the analog gauge wasn't telling you the truth. After the automatic gas pump's first shut-off, I can safely cram another gallon of gas in my tank. That's another 40 miles.

Spyder Garage

I probably knew it was full when the gas kept coming out. After filling tanks in all sorts of vehicles for almost 60 years I kinda know. BTW, I was talking about my digital gauge.

Spyder Garage

Have also had problems getting full pegs topped off or not has actually registered as full at times , just not often. On that extra gallon after auto stop can & does become expen$ive screw up

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I probably knew it was full when the gas kept coming out. After filling tanks in all sorts of vehicles for almost 60 years I kinda know. BTW, I was talking about my digital gauge.
    You mentioned both gauges.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    ..... On that extra gallon after auto stop can & does become expen$ive screw up ....

How does that become expen$ive? I top off with one gallon at each fill-up after the auto-stop. The only expense I've encountered is the price of one gallon of gas.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2021 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. As far as expensive. I guess filling the evap canister and getting it replaced by the dealer can be expensive, otherwise I'm stumped.

Spyder Garage

I pulled the gauges a couple years ago, and I would say that even with topping off the tank, I only show full maybe 1/3 the time. Some times it shows not full, then few miles down the road, it's full. I chalk that up to the gas swashing around enough that the computer thinks it is full.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. As far as expensive. I guess filling the evap canister and getting it replaced by the dealer can be expensive, otherwise I'm stumped.
    Check with someone else on this site but I think the evap canister issue was resolved with the 1330's in 2014 and newer. Mine is a 14 and I've never had that problem. Someone will respond.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    How does that become expen$ive? I top off with one gallon at each fill-up after the auto-stop. The only expense I've encountered is the price of one gallon of gas.
    Yes purge valve & evap simply from that extra topping off on 998

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

I removed my evap canister anyway. Reason for doing so was gas smelled up my garage after a ride. Thought it wouldn't hurt. Mine is a 16 RT.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looking at the service manual for my 2014 RT I suspect a problem with the fuel level sensor. It is part of the fuel pump. From what I see in the service manual photo the float is attached to a fairly thin wire. Either the float lever is bent and rubs against the pump causing it to rise and fall erratically or the resistor pad that is the heart of the level gauge doesn't have good electrical contact through the entire range. Maybe it's dirty, or maybe the wiper doesn't make firm contact with the potentiometer wire. The level sensor is not shown as a separate replaceable part. If you're really handy take the fuel pump out and inspect the level sensor.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Looking at the service manual for my 2014 RT I suspect a problem with the fuel level sensor. It is part of the fuel pump. From what I see in the service manual photo the float is attached to a fairly thin wire. Either the float lever is bent and rubs against the pump causing it to rise and fall erratically or the resistor pad that is the heart of the level gauge doesn't have good electrical contact through the entire range. Maybe it's dirty, or maybe the wiper doesn't make firm contact with the potentiometer wire. The level sensor is not shown as a separate replaceable part. If you're really handy take the fuel pump out and inspect the level sensor.
    *note to that : all part of the sending unit not easily removed, it sits directly underneath seat latch. Tank removal required to access :banghead. 84FB3C8A-EE9C-497E-A0D8-F1D9178FCB7A.jpeg & has a plastic lid caution with hose connections

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your input(s). The digital gauge is easier for me to read but I may put the analog back in just to see if it logs full. I do know the dashboard was changed about 7k miles ago.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your input(s). The digital gauge is easier for me to read but I may put the analog back in just to see if it logs full. I do know the dashboard was changed about 7k miles ago.
    If the analog gauges don't register full that would be a pretty strong indicator the level sensor is the problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The digital gauge is easier to read,but they both take the readings from the same sender,so you will get the same result. My 2012 does the same as your 2014, I just ignor it and go by the trip meter and the gps. With Idaho's good explanation I may now try and fix it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

People always complain about fuel gauges. Real world is that the tanks are not perfect straight-sided, but very oddly shaped (particularly bad on under-seat motorcycle tanks) and the sensors are linear devices. Perhaps calibration and a look-up table in the computer will make one more accurate, but for 99% of the vehicles on the road you have to calibrate yourself to the indicated level. Full and empty are just as subject to slight irregularities. My S-10 pickup will register full for about 75 miles after a fill-up. When a new fuel pump/sender was installed, that didn't change, but now it doesn't fall below 1/2 for about 200 miles. I just have to adjust my mental calibration.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Slightly off-topic, but I was told long ago that manufacturers purposely installed fuel gages in their vehicles that registered full readings and near-empty readings which lasted a long time. The middle readings from 3/4's to 1/4 decreased more quickly. The reason, I was told was that it gave the owner/operator the impression they got better fuel mileage. I wouldn't believe that would apply to M/C riders because they have incredibly small fuel tanks compared to regular vehicle tanks. FWIW

Spyder Garage

I recently removed the gauges as well and went to he digital fuel gauge. Every time I fill up, it doesn't register the top two bars until after I drive a little bit. Then all of a sudden all the bars are full.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2021 at 04:54 PM. Reason: doesn't... ;-)
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest