Spyder Garage

Default 2009 Spyder GS/RS: Possible Steering Problem...(need input)

Ok, where to start? i have rode sport bikes all my life but i am getting older and wanted something different and more comfy so i bought this 09 Spyder about 2 months ago and so far im having a blast on it except for one thing the handling ,i have to keep compensating on straightaways its not as violent as a death wobble but it will sway left and right also makes cornering harder to do seems to get worse on the interstate when i get to speeds of 50 to 70mph

at first i thought maybe its just my inexperience with the spyder coming from 2 wheel bikes or wind buffering i do have a 23" windshield installed on it
    but surely this cant be the norm
    i did get a chance to ride a F3 and it was stable no wobble what so ever

i need some input here im at a loss!

what iv done so far is new kenda tires all around and had it balanced/alignment done
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

I notice you are new to the site.

Here is a helpful read: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

Other places to check, tire pressures, tire tread, and the tendency to over control. That will give the Spyder a "mind of its own" when going down the road.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I notice you are new to the site.

Here is a helpful read: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

Other places to check, tire pressures, tire tread, and the tendency to over control. That will give the Spyder a "mind of its own" when going down the road.
    alot of good info in that thread, also seen where tire pressure could play a part in it, mine is at 25psi in the front think ill try 17psi like the manual recommends and see if that helps
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xxLoTeKxx View Post
    alot of good info in that thread, also seen where tire pressure could play a part in it, mine is at 25psi in the front think ill try 17psi like the manual recommends and see if that helps
    OK the sad fact is KENDA tires have the worst " defect " rate of any tire I have ever heard of .... you may have a bad one or both !!!! .... how many weights are on each wheel ... if there are quite a few that is an indicator ... you didn't have an issue with the F-3, so gripping to hard isn't an issue for you .... early Spyders had a factory re-call on the DPS units ( power steering ). so they were an problem early on ..... try this... with engine OFF try turning the front wheels .... then start it and see if it's better ( easier ) if it is - the DPS may be failing .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    OK the sad fact is KENDA tires have the worst " defect " rate of any tire I have ever heard of .... you may have a bad one or both !!!! .... how many weights are on each wheel ... if there are quite a few that is an indicator ... you didn't have an issue with the F-3, so gripping to hard isn't an issue for you .... early Spyders had a factory re-call on the DPS units ( power steering ). so they were an problem early on ..... try this... with engine OFF try turning the front wheels .... then start it and see if it's better ( easier ) if it is - the DPS may be failing .... good luck ... Mike
    im going to have to put a few more miles on it but i think lowering the front psi from 25psi to 17psi may just have fixed the problem!
    its cornering way better and i can do it at higher speeds without the fear of ending up in the ditch or other lane straightaways seem smoother also but havent taken it on the interstate yet

is it possible that a simple thing like tire pressure could have been the problem all along? or is that wishful thinking?
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

Any number of combinations between: psi, tire tread, balanced, alignment, road quality. & of course speed. Usually 5k or more miles to get use to handling Spyders push off foot pegs rather than trying clamp the tank with legs

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Any number of combinations between: psi, tire tread, balanced, alignment, road quality. & of course speed. Usually 5k or more miles to get use to handling Spyders push off foot pegs rather than trying clamp the tank with legs
    just drove it to work and took the interstate there is still a sway back and forth at 80mph but its extreamly mild now i can ride with one hand and keep control where that was impossible before
    i wonder if i should take the psi down to 15psi if that would be even better ,ill have to play with it ,but right now after the psi drop to 17psi in the front im having alot more fun at higher speeds it was kinda scary before

and your right im sure about the 5kmiles to get use to the spyder i'm barley at 500miles in the saddle on it,im still a noob for sure! :P
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

just drove it to work and took the interstate there is still a sway back and forth at 80mph but its extreamly mild now i can ride with one hand and keep control where that was impossible before
    i wonder if i should take the psi down to 15psi if that would be even better ,ill have to play with it ,but right now after the psi drop to 17psi in the front im having alot more fun at higher speeds it was kinda scary before

and your right im sure about the 5kmiles to get use to the spyder i'm barley at 500miles in the saddle on it,im still a noob for sure! :P
    ... you have Kenda tires .... they need at least 17 psi to be safe at any speed .... I wasn't kidding when I said they are the worst tires. .. Mike

Spyder Garage

... you have Kenda tires .... they need at least 17 psi to be safe at any speed .... I wasn't kidding when I said they are the worst tires. .. Mike
    kenda was the only tire i could find for this thing in the size i needed those front 14's were hard to find i ended up having to go through can am to get them
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

kenda was the only tire i could find for this thing in the size i needed those front 14's were hard to find i ended up having to go through can am to get them
    Well currently the Best Spyder TIRE made is a Vredestein Q-5 .... and they have few 14" sizes that will fit fine ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Well currently the Best Spyder TIRE made is a Vredestein Q-5 .... and they have few 14" sizes that will fit fine ..... Mike
    i'll look into those next time ,thanks!
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

Did you have a laser alignment done or the factory method of measurements? If it wasn't a laser alignment find a shop that does them. If it was, take it back and let them know that you're still having problems.
    Bruce
    Yorktown, VA
    '08 Spyder GS

Spyder Garage

Back in 10/11 there was a recall on the Spyders due to a faulty power steering unit that would try to steer on its own. BRP recalled the bad units and replaced them. It was kinda funny I was on my way to have the recall done when mine went bad and it was spooky. You might check with BRP and find out if yours was done.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bwbarnes View Post
    Did you have a laser alignment done or the factory method of measurements? If it wasn't a laser alignment find a shop that does them. If it was, take it back and let them know that you're still having problems.
    no was just a regular alignment, i am trying to find a place around here that does the laser though
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    Back in 10/11 there was a recall on the Spyders due to a faulty power steering unit that would try to steer on its own. BRP recalled the bad units and replaced them. It was kinda funny I was on my way to have the recall done when mine went bad and it was spooky. You might check with BRP and find out if yours was done.
    hmm that's a good idea thanks!
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

no was just a regular alignment, i am trying to find a place around here that does the laser though
    Check this link, which may not be 100% current, but it lists a dealer in Lexington: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealerky.htm. It is worth having to ride a considerable distance to get a laser alignment.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Check this link, which may not be 100% current, but it lists a dealer in Lexington: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealerky.htm. It is worth having to ride a considerable distance to get a laser alignment.
    about 120 miles from me but may have no choice but to go there for it
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2021 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    Your post here got me thinking so i did some research on the subject ,i think the next sunny day we have (been raining a lot here) im going to pull the 5amp and 40amp DPS fuses to disable the DPS and take a ride to see if that helps or makes things worse
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

Good idea, I remember a few Riders back then made the comment then that they found out their power steering had never worked.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

UPDATE.........

well turns out it was a messed up alignment and maybe even defective kenda tires.
    i have never seen tires get ate up as quick as these did.
    they only had 500 at the most 700miles on them and they looked like racing slicks lol
    so i took it back to the shop and he didn't even try and argue with me.
    he bought me two new tires for the front, car tires this time and had someone else do the alignment this time also, and now it handles like a dream!!
    unsure if it was the Kendas or the alignment or maybe even both, but at least its handling great now!!!

Still in search of a place that does laser alignment..........
    2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

UPDATE.........

well turns out it was a messed up alignment and maybe even defective kenda tires.
    i have never seen tires get ate up as quick as these did.
    they only had 500 at the most 700miles on them and they looked like racing slicks lol
    so i took it back to the shop and he didn't even try and argue with me.
    he bought me two new tires for the front, car tires this time and had someone else do the alignment this time also, and now it handles like a dream!!
    unsure if it was the Kendas or the alignment or maybe even both, but at least its handling great now!!!

Still in search of a place that does laser alignment..........
    It is great that you've been able to make progress. But if you did not get a ROLO Laser alignment, your search for a final cure is not yet over. Most laser aligners will not charge you if you are within spec. So, it is a good idea to at least get what you have now checked.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is great that you've been able to make progress. But if you did not get a ROLO Laser alignment, your search for a final cure is not yet over. Most laser aligners will not charge you if you are within spec. So, it is a good idea to at least get what you have now checked.
    ya i am still searching for a place that does laser but no luck so far
    there is one place that told me they would be setup to do laser alignment maybe in july but yup still looking
    2009 RS , Silver/Black