Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIY Safety Device to help prevent being rear ended

Here is a great video from the Goldwing Docs forum administrator. More and more cars on the road have Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) to avoid having the driver rear end the vehicle in front of him. The problem is motorcycles are not as readily visible to the AEB radar as is a car. WingAdmin shows how to make a simple radar reflector that greatly enhances the return radar beam the car's AEB utilizes.

I haven't figured out yet how the best way would be to put one on an RT but I'll be working on it. If someone comes up with a solution please post it. We need to help keep each other safe out there!

Here's a link to the Goldwing Docs forum posting. https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt...p?f=10&t=63779

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

So you could do the same thing he did and mount it in the large Saddle bag. Or mount it in the trunk. Very interesting idea. Thanks for posting. I got tired of the sales pitch so skipped to 7:33 where he starts describing what he did.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    ..... I got tired of the sales pitch so skipped to 7:33 where he starts describing what he did.
    Dammit!! Cos I'd originally skipped to 8:33 or thereabouts, when you posted that ^^, I thought I might've missed something important, so I went back to check it out - I hadn't missed anything! . Then aaalllll the important stuff was over less than a couple of minutes later!! . And some people say my posts are too long.....

Still, it really is a good idea with more'n more cars being equipped with frontal collision assist that might miss our Spyder/Rykers cos they don't present a great reflective surface from behind . If anyone wants to read up on the theory of Corner Reflectors or more correctly, 'Trihedral or tetrahedral radar reflectors', check this out:

https://www.radartutorial.eu/17.bauteile/bt47.en.html

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2021 at 04:38 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

A great idea. I watched the video from 8:00 on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

WAY too many Youtubers pad out their videos to achieve the mandated minimum run lengths.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

If I put one on my Spyder, first thing that would happen is a ticket from a radar gun speed trap.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    If I put one on my Spyder, first thing that would happen is a ticket from a radar gun speed trap.
    In reverse???????????????
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    In reverse???????????????
    I have more than once come across where one leo sits in a spot where you don't see them until you go pass them. Then I will come across a group of Leo's further down the road who are picking up the speeders the first leo tagged from the back as they passed him.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I have more than once come across where one leo sits in a spot where you don't see them until you go pass them. Then I will come across a group of Leo's further down the road who are picking up the speeders the first leo tagged from the back as they passed him.
    Oh! So -15 over!
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I like the concept & will give some thought to size and location; not just on our Spyder but on my bikes as well. One question for any of you engineers with knowledge of radar/microwaves; what would be the minimum size of such a device that will still deliver the desired results?

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I like the concept & will give some thought to size and location; not just on our Spyder but on my bikes as well. One question for any of you engineers with knowledge of radar/microwaves; what would be the minimum size of such a device that will still deliver the desired results?
    I am setting here thinking about if our 2020 Ford Edge ST could test out this radar reflector. Guess I will have to study up on how it works regarding speed etc. Time to dig into the owners manual. Back in a few.

On edit:

Using the Pre-Collision Assist
    System
    The system is active at speeds above
    approximately 3 mph (5 km/h) and
    pedestrian detection is active at speeds
    up to 50 mph (80 km/h).
    E156130
    If your vehicle is rapidly approaching
    another stationary vehicle, a vehicle
    traveling in the same direction as yours, or
    a pedestrian within your driving path, the
    system is designed to provide three levels
    of functionality:
    1. Alert
    2. Brake Support
    3. Active Braking

Alert: When active, a flashing visual
    warning appears and an audible warning
    tone sounds.

Brake Support: The system is designed
    to help reduce the impact speed by
    preparing the brakes for rapid braking.
    Brake support does not automatically
    apply the brakes. If you press the brake
    pedal, the system could apply additional
    braking up to maximum braking force, even
    if you lightly press the brake pedal.

Active Braking: Active braking may
    activate if the system determines that a
    collision is imminent. The system may help
    the driver reduce impact damage or avoid
    the crash completely.

Note: Brake Support and Active Braking are
    active at speeds up to 75 mph (120 km/h).
    If the vehicle is equipped with a radar
    sensor, included with Adaptive Cruise
    Control, then Brake Support and Active
    Braking are active up to the maximum speed
    of the vehicle.

Note: If you perceive Pre-Collision Assist
    alerts as being too frequent or disturbing,
    then you can reduce the alert sensitivity,
    though the manufacturer recommends
    using the highest sensitivity setting where
    possible. Setting lower sensitivity would
    lead to fewer and later system warnings.

So it appears I could test this right on the street in front of our place. I have some silver HVAC duct tape. I will give it a try.

OK, here is step one. Coated inside and out. 4" on the three long sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I am setting here thinking about if our 2020 Ford Edge ST could test out this radar reflector. Guess I will have to study up on how it works regarding speed etc. Time to dig into the owners manual. Back in a few.

On edit:

Using the Pre-Collision Assist
    System
    The system is active at speeds above
    approximately 3 mph (5 km/h) and
    pedestrian detection is active at speeds
    up to 50 mph (80 km/h).
    E156130
    If your vehicle is rapidly approaching
    another stationary vehicle, a vehicle
    traveling in the same direction as yours, or
    a pedestrian within your driving path, the
    system is designed to provide three levels
    of functionality:
    1. Alert
    2. Brake Support
    3. Active Braking

Alert: When active, a flashing visual
    warning appears and an audible warning
    tone sounds.

Brake Support: The system is designed
    to help reduce the impact speed by
    preparing the brakes for rapid braking.
    Brake support does not automatically
    apply the brakes. If you press the brake
    pedal, the system could apply additional
    braking up to maximum braking force, even
    if you lightly press the brake pedal.

Active Braking: Active braking may
    the crash completely.

Note: Brake Support and Active Braking are
    active at speeds up to 75 mph (120 km/h).
    If the vehicle is equipped with a radar
    sensor, included with Adaptive Cruise
    Control, then Brake Support and Active
    Braking are active up to the maximum speed
    of the vehicle.

Note: If you perceive Pre-Collision Assist
    alerts as being too frequent or disturbing,
    then you can reduce the alert sensitivity,
    though the manufacturer recommends
    using the highest sensitivity setting where
    possible. Setting lower sensitivity would
    lead to fewer and later system warnings.

So it appears I could test this right on the street in front of our place. I have some silver HVAC duct tape. I will give it a try.

OK, here is step one. Coated inside and out. 4" on the three long sides.
    Please do not drive over the mini wheats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Please do not drive over the mini wheats.
    Well no workie, I drove at it at 15 MPH and mini wheats would have been rear ended. I changed the Pre-Collision setting from normal sensitivity to high with the same results. Guess I have to go drive at a parked car the same way and see what happens?

Spyder Garage

Cool Radar reflector

Snoking, please let us know the results of your testing with the Ford Edge. That way we will know if this triangle will work for Spyders. I hope it does .
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Well no workie, I drove at it at 15 MPH and mini wheats would have been rear ended. I changed the Pre-Collision setting from norm sensitivity to high with the same results. Guess I have to go drive at a parked car the same way and see what happens?
    Well I was a little too early with my reply. Where did you mount the refector?
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    Well I was a little too early with my reply. Where did you mount the refector?
    On the wheats box and drove right at it at 15MPH! It was at the same level as the sensor on the front of the Edge. That pre-collision is one of the things at Ford's free ST Experience driving school that you test. This is a free driving school for people that buy a Ford Explorer ST or Edge ST model. Diner and hotel, then the next day a road course in one of their SUVs, skid pad, pre-collision and they laps on a track.

Spyder Garage

OK, have to test it again. It appears the camera at the top of the windshield is in play also. I will set it up on my shop stool and try again.

Spyder Garage

OK, have to test it again. It appears the camera at the top of the windshield is in play also. I will set it up on my shop stool and try again.
    OK, shop stool is road kill!

Spyder Garage

OK, shop stool is road kill!
    I hope it wasn't a good one.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Here is a great video from the Goldwing Docs forum administrator. More and more cars on the road have Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) to avoid having the driver rear end the vehicle in front of him. The problem is motorcycles are not as readily visible to the AEB radar as is a car. WingAdmin shows how to make a simple radar reflector that greatly enhances the return radar beam the car's AEB utilizes.

I haven't figured out yet how the best way would be to put one on an RT but I'll be working on it. If someone comes up with a solution please post it. We need to help keep each other safe out there!

Here's a link to the Goldwing Docs forum posting. https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt...p?f=10&t=63779
    This is from another poster on here:

"Active Braking: Active braking may
    the crash completely."

For Active Braking, it states may activate. So, my question is: For those people who have this type of system in their cars/trucks, and don't seem to notice motorcycles anyway, do you think you'll be safe from their brain inactivity? Or, did I read the Active Braking statement wrong, and it will activate automatically, bypassing the brain dead auto/truck driver?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Dammit!! Cos I'd originally skipped to 8:33 or thereabouts, when you posted that ^^, I thought I might've missed something important, so I went back to check it out - I hadn't missed anything! . Then aaalllll the important stuff was over less than a couple of minutes later!! . And some people say my posts are too long.....
    Peter,

Who would say such a thing?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    This is from another poster on here:

"Active Braking: Active braking may
    the crash completely."

For Active Braking, it states may activate. So, my question is: For those people who have this type of system in their cars/trucks, and don't seem to notice motorcycles anyway, do you think you'll be safe from their brain inactivity? Or, did I read the Active Braking statement wrong, and it will activate automatically, bypassing the brain dead auto/truck driver?
    That is what the video addresses, the fact a car AEB may not see a m/c. To improve the probability that it will see the m/c he recommends the tetrahedral reflector which will return to the car sensor a stronger radar signal than what the back of a m/c will.

I've had the AEB on my 2016 Maxima bring me to a complete stop with no intervention on my part. However, I have tested it only with the cruise control on and at less than about 40 mph. I guess I'm too scared to try it otherwise, unless I do it with a target that won't hurt the car if AEB does not do the job. And I think I just might do that. I really would like to know!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK Stupid question time...... Why would aluminum dunce cap mounted in your trunk get you a ticket ???????
    unless he pulled you over for speeding

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    OK Stupid question time...... Why would aluminum dunce cap mounted in your trunk get you a ticket ???????
    unless he pulled you over for speeding
    I don't speed, I am just worried about the radar waves bouncing back and injuring the town constable behind the hedge, He has to work or the town can't pay the mayor, the constable, and keep the power bill for all 4 street lights paid up.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I don't speed, I am just worried about the radar waves bouncing back and injuring the town constable behind the hedge, He has to work or the town can't pay the mayor, the constable, and keep the power bill for all 4 street lights paid up.
    I heard the teenage drivers in town plan to chain his rear diff to the tree he hides under, and then speed by!