Spyder Garage

Default Any other model Rear air shock fit on a 2013 ST?

Hi has anyone fitted a shock from another model. I'm after an air shock solution for my st when 2up. I can machine mostly anything so making it isn't the issue. I'm after standard shock lengths for different shocks. Any help with a better shock for 2up and not to stiff solo would be great

Spyder Garage

If you're referring to BRP's ACS, with its air-bag, compressor, and height sensing/pressure adjusting system, I'm pretty there's only one model available from BRP - but please realise that it's NOT an 'Air-shock' by any stretch of the imagination!!

The ACS started out fitted standard to the Ltd RT's & has since been expanded to some other models. But it is an integrated system, so while it may well fit or be able to be fitted onto an ST, I'm not sure if the Computer on your machine will be able to manage/control it once fitted. But even if it does fit & can be worked within the limits of the computer's systems, if it ever works properly (many don't ever; and many more have regular failures! ) it really won't be able to do anything but automatically manage the static ryde height for you! It's just an air-bag (not part of or involved with the shock &/or coil in any way that seriously varies spring rates or rebound etc) that is inflated/deflated according to a preset static ryde height that's stored in the computer's control parameters so that the system will adjust the bag's air pressure to maintain that ryde height regardless of the load imposed......

So if you're thinking of transplanting a BRP ACS onto your ST, I'd hafta ask WHY on earth would you want to do THAT?? It's not really going to achieve anything great for you; it's not even really all that great at doing what it's meant to do on those models that have it fitted standard; it's problematic at best & quite prone to failures; many disable all the automatic bits because they never work properly anyway; and there are quite a few after market options in the way of coil/shocks &/or air-bag systems that can do the same job and more a whole lot better! I'd be looking at them before trying to retro-fit BRP's ACS!

Over to you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hi, yeah its not for the automatic ride height. I thought the air bag was for changing preload. I am 105kg and my wife 160kg. I can get a shock for us just casual touring however I wish to commute to work on it and having a rear that is too stiff causes handling issues especially in the wet. I'm after a setup with a very broad rate of preload adjustability while keeping some usable travel. It's a compromise I know but my wife will be half that weight within a year due to surgery. I'm inclined to run a stage 2 elka but don't know what rate to get. Pure 2up spring rate and revalve and respring in a year or something in the middle

Spyder Garage

Gerard Karpik up at Team FAST (of M-10 snowmobile suspension fame) had an air shock system for these. Try and talk to Gerard, he might have one yet. 218-744-2101.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with Peter (Aawen). For your application, the airbag would be the PERFECT solution. The hard part would be trying to integrate it into the bike's computer. If you are willing to settle for an entirely manual system, it could probably be done.

If you DO install it as a manual system, consider adding a gauge to monitor pressure. With the gauge, it would be easy to add the correct amount of air before the ride, that will set your "preload" to an amount that will be proper.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G