Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Can Am Spyder RT-S Battery Issues?

My Spyder was in the garage all winter and I unfortunately didn't have a battery tender on it. I took it out this weekend and the battery was dead. No matter how much charging or jumping I tried I couldn't even get it to turn over at all. Just a lot of clicking.

I therefore purchased a brand new battery and installed it. When I go to start it now, I get about two cranks (about 1 seconds worth) then back to the clicking. After I do this it looks like the oil light is staying lit too.

I might add that with the old battery I didn't even get the lights on the dash to light except when I JUST took it off the charger and that was only for a few seconds. Then nothing. So it appears that this battery is OK as all the electronics seem to work.

I have posted a video of this. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ed

Spyder Garage

The vid is Private, so no-one but you can see it....

Still, a bit of 'thinking out loud' here - even without the vid, I'd be checking all the connections on your new battery AND the Earth's on the Spyder, and if they are all good, check your new battery too!! New batteries can fail &/or just not be strong enough for the task - what brand & capacity is the new battery?? Anything less than a fully charged 310cca might not cut it!

Have you tried a Battery Booster or Jump start, leaving the booster/jump connected for a while before cranking, not just connecting up & cranking immediately?? And have you checked resting battery voltage, cranking battery voltage, & if you get that far, running battery voltage?? That info, &/or the results of a proper battery load test would help any 'diagnosis by remote'.

Over to you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Oil light on normal until up & running. (Up to pressure) possibly just loose connections terminals need good surface area contact for amperage. & Battery may need recharge after previous test

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

The video is marked unavailable, private.

You do not say what kind of new battery you purchased, whether or not it was a factory fill or bottle supplied. If the former, you do not say what the initial voltage reading was and whether or not the instructions state to charge it if below a certain voltage. If the latter, you should explain how you filled and charged it. Are the positive and negative cables completely clean of any corrosion and good and tight? What is the voltage of the new battery as read by a multimeter? The new battery can have enough voltage to light up the electronics but not enough to crank the engine. The oil pressure light will remain on until the engine is running and the oil pressure has risen enough to extinguish the light.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The video is now public. Sorry about that

All connections are tight and there is no corrosion on the terminals (obviously since it is new) nor on the cables.

This is the battery I bought. It is supposedly factory charged and ready to use when installed.

I connected a meter to the battery with the key out and it read about 10.6. I took another reading with the key in the ignition and turned on and it read 9.4. I tried to start it with by battery booster/starter and it did the same thing. Barely cranked and then the clicks.

I have it on the charger now.

Item specifics
    Condition: New Battery Size: Sealed Lead Acid 12-Volt
    Compatible Brand: AJC Brand: AJC
    Chemical Composition: Lead Acid Type: Battery
    Amp Hours: 23 Ah Model: AJC Brand Replacement Batteries
    Application: Motorcycle Compatible Model: Spyder RT-S (SM5)
    Product Type: Motorcycle Battery Type: SLA/VRLA
    Voltage: 12 V MPN: Spyder RT-S (SM5)
    Voltage Compatibility: 12 V UPC: 688624209186
    AJC® replacement compatible with Can-Am Spyder RT-S (SM5) 1000CC Motorcycle Battery (2012-2013)
    Factory activated, this battery arrives fully sealed, charged and ready for action
    Maintenance free AGM technology, no need to add acid or water ever
    Exact OEM replacement guaranteed to fit easily and precisely
    High impact PP case for maximum vibration resistance
    AJC® Replacement Powersports Batteries
    You must re-use: your existing cabling and hardware. These are replacement batteries only
    It is your responsibility to verify the batteries being ordered match the batteries in your unit prior to placing your order. We are not responsible for incorrect orders
    Buy with confidence. Our batteries are backed by easy 30-day returns and a 12-month warranty
    Built to handle whatever the road, dirt, snow and water can dish out
    Disclaimer: Our products are not affiliated with or authorized by Can-Am.
    Specs
    Voltage: 12V
    Capacity: 23Ah
    Cold Cranking Amps: 350
    Polarity: -/+
    Terminal: I
    Dimensions: L 8.07 x W3.5 x H 6.46 inches
    Weight: 15.37 lbs

Spyder Garage

Never assume a new battery is fully charged. I always place a new battery on an automatic trickle charger overnight before installing. Did you?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I can tell you right now from the specs you posted about your battery keyoff/keyon it has nowhere near enough juice to crank a VTwin over. You need at least 11 volts key on to start. So charge that battery for awhile (like over night) and try it tomorrow. Good luck.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Will do. Charging now. I'll check in tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Spyder Garage

She fired right up after an overnight charge. Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it!

Spyder Garage

Just put in a new Duracell AGM from Batteries Plus ....2 yr warranty on my 2012 RTL...with rebates and core refund 116$ ...here's what I found on my one year old Motobatt that was installed by an un named powersports center
    IMG_0058.jpg
    The battery compartment was cracked on install march 2020....it's no wonder I've had issues despite having been on a tender every resting moment since install...well I'm positive my install did not not damage the new battery....
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bonz View Post
    She fired right up after an overnight charge. Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it!
    thanks for letting us know. Ride on Brother.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze