Spyder Garage

Default Cardo TalkPack Bold

My wife and I recently switched from Sena's to Cardo. I thought that the Cardo were good about not picking up wind noise with the microphone. My wife wears a modular helmet and we ride 2 up, she likes to keep her face shield up because she gets hot in the helmet. But I get so much wind buffeting noise that I just want to turn it off. Does anyone have a suggestion how to fix this issue?
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    My wife and I recently switched from Sena's to Cardo. I thought that the Cardo were good about not picking up wind noise with the microphone. My wife wears a modular helmet and we ride 2 up, she likes to keep her face shield up because she gets hot in the helmet. But I get so much wind buffeting noise that I just want to turn it off. Does anyone have a suggestion how to fix this issue?
    Make sure the microphone direction is oriented correctly……
    Place it directly in front and close to lips.
    I have the cardo freedom 4 using Modular helmets……no wind noise.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

It should cancel the wind noise automatically after a few seconds. Mine does.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

My cardo bolds are like that to. You can either go to bluetooth intercom and push intercom button to talk and that is what we have done. The tech at cardo recommended the large mic sponge, haven't got those yet.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It does not matter what brand of communications device you have, they all will have wind noise
    if the mic is located in the wrong place.
    First pull off the wind sock from the mic, you will notice there are holes on one side for sound to enter
    be sure that is the side facing you not the smooth side, put the wind sock back on and you are good to go,
    if that is not good enough move the mic around inside the helmet until you got no wind noise.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm surprised you have that much helmet buffeting on the RT. Have you tried working on that (bigger) issue?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm surprised you have that much helmet buffeting on the RT. Have you tried working on that (bigger) issue?
    The windshield blocks all the wind on me but for the passenger. Her head sticks above mine.
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm surprised you have that much helmet buffeting on the RT.

Have you tried working on the bigger issue of excess wind buffeting on your head? That can be fatiguing.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The windshield blocks all the wind on me but for the passenger. Her head sticks above mine.
    I thought you said you were the one getting too much wind buffeting noise. Now I'm confused.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'm surprised you have that much helmet buffeting on the RT.

Have you tried working on the bigger issue of excess wind buffeting on your head? That can be fatiguing.
    It is not buffeting my head, it does buffet my wife's head because she is behind me and up a little. The windshield doesn't protect her from the wind as much as it does me.
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

I think most are missing the fact that she rides with the face shield up instead of closed. Not sure what to do about that.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I thought you said you were the one getting too much wind buffeting noise. Now I'm confused.
    It's the transmitted wind noise from his wife's Cardo mic that's the issue here. She gets more wind buffeting than him cos she's a bit higher up AND she rides with her modular helmet faceplate up, so HE gets all the wind noise whenever she tries to communicate - THAT NOISE is the problem!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's the transmitted wind noise from his wife's Cardo mic that's the issue here. She gets more wind buffeting than him cos she's a bit higher up AND she rides with her modular helmet faceplate up, so HE gets all the wind noise whenever she tries to communicate - THAT NOISE is the problem!
    Got it.

The cardo isn't the problem then. I don't think Dave's suggestions are going to help much. Either she closes her helmet or she pushes the mic up out of the blast stream or disconnects her mic (I think that's possible with the Cardo, but maybe not).

She could close her helmet and just have the visor cracked for airflow - that should help a lot I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand why the face shield being open would cause that much wind noise if the mic is positioned directly behind the chin bar. Opening the face shield alone doesn't present that issue for me. Maybe the boom mic is installed wrong, as Dave suggested.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I think most are missing the fact that she rides with the face shield up instead of closed. Not sure what to do about that.
    Better ventilated helmet?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Better ventilated helmet?
    New Helmet arrived today!!!
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

Question ventilation??

Ventilated windshield might help as well adjustable deflectors under the mirrors. No wind noise to speak of with my old SMH5 system. But my wife keeps the chinbar and face shield down. Also my last 2 helmets had poorly aligned top vent holes. Something to inspect. I fixed the alignment problem and opened the vent a bit to inside of the helmet--------- Works MUCH better.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Ventilated windshield might help as well adjustable deflectors under the mirrors. No wind noise to speak of with my old SMH5 system. But my wife keeps the chinbar and face shield down. Also my last 2 helmets had poorly aligned top vent holes. Something to inspect. I fixed the alignment problem and opened the vent a bit to inside of the helmet--------- Works MUCH better.

Lew L
    Lew, it seems the problem is with her feeling she needed to keep her faceshield open to get sufficient airflow thru the helmet. Ergo, it had nothing to do with buffeting in the first place, but rather wind noise being picked up by her microphone.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My wife can keep her helmet closed up and still get ventilation because of the windshield vent and adjustable deflectors. I've discussed buffeting in the past but I'm talking about air flow to the ryder and passenger.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow