Spyder Garage

Default Blog-My first self inflected problem

Well against my better judgment I did something I knew could be a problem and now I'm paying for it.

After riding a RT with the shocks cranked all the way up I knew that's where I wanted my shocks too. I asked one of the BRP guys if they could crank it up for me because I was afraid of breaking the cast cam adjuster. I had several guys tell me they do it all the time without jacking up the Spyder and taking the load off. I still thought it was not a good idea and they were going to take care of it. Well I know these guys were running around like chickens with their heads cut off last night and somehow it got overlooked. No big deal I just packed up and headed out.

At my first gas stop I decided to get the tool out and give it a shot seeing I had 6 hours of riding ahead of me and I might as well have it nice and stiff. This was one of those times when I should have listened to the voice in my head that said just wait till you get home and do it.

I cranked the right side up no problem so I'm thinking cool, this is going to work. Then I moved to the left side and "pop" sure enough I broke the corner of the cam. Now it's not bad but it's not good either so I got on the phone and the end result was they towed it back to the hotel and when the support team gets back from their ride they can fix it and I'll head out in the morning.

So bottom line if you're going to adjust your front shocks up on the RS or the RT you really need to take the load off of them before you start cranking on them.

I guess this is the kind of stuff that makes for a good story any way.

Spyder Garage

Enjoy your ride home, Lamont. We are looking forward to seeing an RT on the west coast. Not wanting to get one, but curious to see.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It appears they stayed with the same type/style shocks - I am surprised.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    It appears they stayed with the same type/style shocks - I am surprised.
    They look the same but they're not. If they were I would have had the local dealer swap some RS shocks out for me.

Spyder Garage

Obviously Lamont is not the responsible type person that BRP can trust with the RT. They had better remove him as one of the chosen few and of course.....replace him with me
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Well....not a good story......but..... */%# happens
    A better story would have been, if the tech would have broken it, in front of everybody.
    Have a safe trip home, Lamont.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Why don't you tell the REAL story Lamont. You're just looking for any excuse to stay another night in that POSH Hotel!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Same here

Did the same thing but I had it jacked up with the load of the wheels and it still broke the left side. That really bums you out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steven888 View Post
    Did the same thing but I had it jacked up with the load of the wheels and it still broke the left side. That really bums you out.
    Another trick that should be done is to lube it with some WD or something like that before you crank on it.

Spyder Garage

I'm all put back together and ready to roll in the morning.

Next stop home and then Deals Gap

Spyder Garage

Hope you have the same weather we're having up here in New England. If so, you are in for nice ryding!!!

Safe trip Lamont. We're all looking forward to you taking us along your journeys on the RT-S!!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Default Got torque?

Now I don't feel so bad. I adjusted mine in the spring - put a piece of PVC on the end of the wrench for leverage, the pipe turned, the cam didn't... imagine my surprise

Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Registered Users Ken5517 / Wish Again's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well against my better judgment I did something I knew could be a problem and now I'm paying for it.

After riding a RT with the shocks cranked all the way up I knew that's where I wanted my shocks too. I asked one of the BRP guys if they could crank it up for me because I was afraid of breaking the cast cam adjuster. I had several guys tell me they do it all the time without jacking up the Spyder and taking the load off. I still thought it was not a good idea and they were going to take care of it. Well I know these guys were running around like chickens with their heads cut off last night and somehow it got overlooked. No big deal I just packed up and headed out.

At my first gas stop I decided to get the tool out and give it a shot seeing I had 6 hours of riding ahead of me and I might as well have it nice and stiff. This was one of those times when I should have listened to the voice in my head that said just wait till you get home and do it.

I cranked the right side up no problem so I'm thinking cool, this is going to work. Then I moved to the left side and "pop" sure enough I broke the corner of the cam. Now it's not bad but it's not good either so I got on the phone and the end result was they towed it back to the hotel and when the support team gets back from their ride they can fix it and I'll head out in the morning.

So bottom line if you're going to adjust your front shocks up on the RS or the RT you really need to take the load off of them before you start cranking on them.

Warrenty Item?

I am staying for the rib vest like I told ya, see ya later

ride safe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Another trick that should be done is to lube it with some WD or something like that before you crank on it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    Now I don't feel so bad. I adjusted mine in the spring - put a piece of PVC on the end of the wrench for leverage, the pipe turned, the cam didn't... imagine my surprise

u need a real rachet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    u need a real rachet
    I couldn't find my Craftsman wrenches (was too lazy to go into the basement), so I used the el-cheapo one I had in the garage.
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    I couldn't find my Craftsman wrenches (was too lazy to go into the basement), so I used the el-cheapo one I had in the garage.
    Must be one of those SNAP-OFF tools

Spyder Garage

Must be one of those SNAP-OFF tools

My wife asks why I keep it around since it's no good. I told her "so the next time you ask why I paid so much for a tool, you'll understand."

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yup...the same old story..."you get exactly what you pay for"...
    Happy SE5 Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Nice report Lamont. Have a safe trip home and God Speed!

Spyder Garage

Default Left versus right shock adjustment

I am not sure that jacking the front helps much so don't feel guilty!
    There is still a substantial pre-load on the springs even when the wheels are off the ground. After adjusting the right shock without much effort, I thought I could do the same on the left side. After applying much more force to make it move, the collar spread around the shock tab instead of going up one notch. I am sure there is something about the direction of the wind of the spring that appears to consistantly cause the issue on the left side instead of the right. Lube may be a solution but I really don't thing we should have to wash the bike after a simple shock adjustment. I have not seen the BRP billet adjuster option in person but it appears to be stronger in this area.

Enjoy the ride and keep up the great reports.

Spyder Garage

yep..it was my left side that snap also