Spyder Garage

Default Trying to Bluetooth phone/music to the radio on 2012 RT-L?

I was hoping someone out there in Spyder-land had some advice or could point me in the right direction to add some Bluetooth to a 2012 RT-Limited Spyder. Just to be clear, I am looking to connect my phone, which sits on my handlebars, to my radio system, NOT a headset, via Bluetooth. I have a functioning BT headset when I'm using my helmet, but sometimes just want to rock out to my speakers. I am currently using a 12v Bluetooth to FM transmitter, which works ok, but I only have a 12v in the trunk currently which can get knocked loose fairly easily which means stopping to get in the trunk to fix it. NOT ideal as I'm sure you can imagine.

I was thinking about something like https://pyleusa.com/products/plmrbt19 which would fit in the defunct temp gauge socket (I removed the fuel one already) but can't find any instructions on how something like that would hook into the Spyder. I have looked at the AMP under the passenger armrest and it has an empty slot/port on it that looks like the capped plug on the part I linked, but I can't find any instructions or even names for either plugs so I'm hesitant to purchase anything without some kind of confirmation.

The other option would be to add a 12v socket somewhere up front so that I can manage my transmitter if it gets loose, preferably in the temp gauge socket, but I cannot find anything that would allow that to work. Sockets themselves are obviously easy to come by, but finding one that either is big enough to fit in a 3in hole or some sort of cap that has a hole for a normal 12v socket is proving to be difficult.

Any advice would greatly appreciated
    2012 RT Limited , Large Pedal Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Redneck secure the transmitter Lil gray tape, or upgrade & no mess, no fuss, no worries https://www.lamonstergarage.com/blue...br1-lamonster/

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Yea that’s my backup plan. The only thing about that though is I don’t have the audio cable to hook it into which means purchasing one. By that point with the amount of money spent I would rather have the controls on the dash somewhere. Also, it needs power, which would plug into the trunk, which circles me back to my first problem, the 12v plug getting knocked loose.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need a 'bluetooth dongle'. Can-Am sells them and so does Sena (SM10)

Or, you can try something simple like this, along with an adapter for the radio input in the trunk. https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl.../dp/B01EHSX28M

Discussion about adapter from 3 years ago....

I have it in stock Part # SC-A0123 for less (this is Motorcycle Dave)

Quote Originally Posted by Waynebang i View Post
    I found the cable needed on eBay for 22.46, 7 pin plug on one end and a 3.5 mm plug on the other. it will plug into the bike and then I can plug the Bluetooth adapter in. thank everybody for your help
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If I were doing this ( and I have) I would use the bluetooth dongle from motorcycledave.com (Sena sm10) which is the same as the BRP dongle,but Dave includes the cable you need which BRP charges extra for. Whole set up is cheaper the BRP. Once you have this installed pair your phone to the dongle and it will play thru your speakers. It also has a place to plug in a 3.5mm cord for non bluetooth players. (Like a Zune or an old cassette player). With a 6ft cord you could still have it up front for the controls. This set up is a little expensive ( but dave does his best with that) but it works very well and is seamless.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Everything I've seen on the Sena-SM10 shows it playing music from a wired connection through Bluetooth to another device, which is sorta the opposite of what I want to do. There are also much cheaper alternatives to do the same thing for my purposes. I saw an install video for it though from Finless Bob and noticed that it uses what he describes as an RD-02 connector to hook into the Spyder. Is there possibly a device that anyone has seen that just uses that for Bluetooth? I came across a similar setup for my Honda Element and SmartCar, where the radio heads had empty connectors sockets on the back of them and I found Bluetooth dongles that fit. Plug in and viola!, working Bluetooth. I can't seem to find how to actually spell this "RD-02" connector so googling it has proven fruitless. Also, if I was gonna spend SM10 money I would want controls with it.

Spyder Garage

You are correct. SM10 is not what you want.

Don't over think this. Get a BT receiver like the one from Lamont linked above or one of many other options. Put it in the top case. Plug into the DIN socket there. So you will need the audio cable from BRP or build one. Then for power use the 12V socket or better hardwire to the 12v socket wires.

Also if someone suggest using the GPS audio input plug. Don't. It may be a stereo jack. Only the left channel audio input will come out both the left and right radio speakers. Also it will clip some audio in the transitions between loud and quiet. It's designed to interrupt the regular audio stream.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is what you want. https://www.amazon.com/DockLinQ-Blue...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Put it in the trunk and connect it to the DIN socket with your iPod cable. It'll pair with your phone and gets charged up through the iPod cable. I have a similar one of some oddball brand I bought several years ago. Works like a charm when I want to BT my phone to the RT audio for Pandora.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If it is powered through the iPod cable that would certainly address my power concern.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elementaro View Post
    If it is powered through the iPod cable that would certainly address my power concern.
    Yeah. My oddball name unit has no battery in it. The iPod cable powers it. If you do more Googling you can probably find a lower cost unit like the one I linked to. The one that Lamonster has uses the 3.5 mm stereo connection so it has to have a separate power supply.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)