Spyder Garage

Default Tell me what Nanny feels like to you...

With each passing ride I ride a little faster. I never thought I'd tic off Nanny, but Nanny seems to be what I'm feeling in corners. Tell me what Nanny feels like to you, so I can validate these odd feelings are Nanny. I don't want to inject my descriptions, until I see some others.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    With each passing ride I ride a little faster. I never thought I'd tic off Nanny, but Nanny seems to be what I'm feeling in corners. Tell me what Nanny feels like to you, so I can validate these odd feelings are Nanny. I don't want to inject my descriptions, until I see some others.
    It’s the same feeling you get when your wife tells you to pick your dirty underwear off the floor…….
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

It feels like the engine shut off for a quick moment as Nanny cuts the power. Push hard enough and it feels like you are going over the bars as Nanny applies the brakes........HARD.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

To expand on what Navydad said, I once was heading up to the Blue Ridge Parkway on a right hand curve at a pretty good clip but reasonable for the road conditions when as the curve tightened I was confronted with a cage coming toward me half in my lane. I jerked my handlebars hard to the right, Nanny killed the throttle and the brakes smoked the left front tire. Fortunately the cage driver woke up, got out of my lane and I'm here to relate the event. Nanny worked so fast I didn't have time to stain 'em.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I drive aggressively ( only ) in the twistie's ( I'm not a speed freak - that will get you tickets )).... and I have triggered Ms. NANNY on many occasions. ... She doesn't always react / depress the motor or brakes with the same amount of force. This leads me to think that the folks that designed Her were very thoughtful when they set up the " parameters " which would govern EXACTLY what She would do under various circumstances .... and Yes She has " saved my bacon " a few times. ... but mostly She just lets me know HOW close I came to making Her input stronger ..... hope this helps ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mostly when riding 2 up, nanny kicks in, but that just the hooligan in me,as blueknight stated, nanny warns, nanny brakes, nanny watches over you, but mostly it's just a kind nudge, to tell you driving as a lunatic.....
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

At first, I was alarmed. While riding one of my favorite winding roads, on three turns in succession, it felt like there was an engine cough that sent a jerk through the whole machine. I heard the driveline slam against the slack, both retarding then accelerating. Maybe the transmission was trying to shift -- a false shift, as it were. Then it dawned on me that it was Nanny. I also connected it with another odd feeling that happens in fast smooth sweepers; It feels like I hit a rock (that I didn't see) with the back tire.

Nanny seems to engage well below the traction limit of my tires. The emoji for Nanny should be a Nun with a ruler in her hand. I'm glad it was Nanny, since the other option was some kind of driveline problem, which was lowering confidence in my Spyder. I'm not looking forward to a more aggressive Nanny intervention...
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

You folks have good explanations. A light will come on the dash for a second or two...like the AWD light in my Subaru if it kicks in. Saved twice by nanny from hydroplaning in AK. Got my hand slapped with the ruler a couple times now in Arkansas on the twisties.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Nanny and I became friends over the past 6000 miles. At 1st she kept cutting the power mid-curve and throwing off my balance - like running out of gas. She only hit the brakes once that I recall and I tried fighting her off with more throttle! After upgrading the dirty-side of the RT and getting better at finding the edge of destruction, Nanny became more lenient and my cornering got faster. Now, she only kills the power about twice a day.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All y'all must ride with a death wish when you go out.

Yes, it's my wife's Spyder, not mine, but I have put on about 1000 miles in the last year. I have hit some familiar local corners rather aggressively and NEVER experienced "the lady". If these corners were not familiar, I would not have been nearly that agressive.

Based on what y'all are saying, there are a few possibilities:
    1. SHE (Nanny) is somehow not working on this bike.
    2. I might be hitting those curves at 99% of 'trigger' speed.
    3. I just flat-out ride like a wuss.

All I can say is that if you are going through relatively unknown corners at a speed sufficient for an electronic reprimand, what would happen if there is a surprise around the curve? Sand? Gravel? Tree branch? Dog?

Rest assured, we enjoy non-straight roads as much as the next person, but our experience seems to require a much lower adrenalin level.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

All good thoughts Steve. I can only speak for myself....but consider myself a safe type of driver. Our twistie driving NEVER involves the Spyder crossing the yellow center lines. I went through a speed trap today toodleing along at 40 mph in a 55 mph zone. Mostly deserted road....so we were not an obstruction to traffic. Saw Deputy Randy in Ponca also at another speed trap. We were doing 30 in a 35 zone there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post

Yes, it's my wife's Spyder, not mine, but I have put on about 1000 miles in the last year. I have hit some familiar local corners rather aggressively and NEVER experienced "the lady". If these corners were not familiar, I would not have been nearly that agressive.

Based on what y'all are saying, there are a few possibilities:
    1. SHE (Nanny) is somehow not working on this bike.
    2. I might be hitting those curves at 99% of 'trigger' speed.
    3. I just flat-out ride like a wuss.

All I can say is that if you are going through relatively unknown corners at a speed sufficient for an electronic reprimand, what would happen if there is a surprise around the curve? Sand? Gravel? Tree branch? Dog?

Rest assured, we enjoy non-straight roads as much as the next person, but our experience seems to require a much lower adrenalin level.

RE: Your #3
    Even though I only have about 1,500 miles of Spyder experience I’m not sure I’d be “brave” enough to ever hit the limiter, I’m too a scared of pain!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    RE: Your #3
    Even though I only have about 1,500 miles of Spyder experience I’m not sure I’d be “brave” enough to ever hit the limiter, I’m too a scared of pain!
    It sneaks up on you Adventurer! The more you ryde & enjoy it, the more confident and smoother your ryding becomes, and the easier it will be to just flow thru things a little faster than you might've originally ever dreamt you could. Sure, you'll reach a limit beyond which you don't feel any need to go, but each of us develops & improves our skills & expertise by gently stretching our own limits over time! And if you don't ever learn anything new, or stop experiencing new things, then what's the point?!

However, I think SteveW's #2 is probably more applicable than many might realise - confident, smooth control at juuust a little less than the Nanny's limits will never see her step in, and it's not really all that hard for most to learn & practice not to exceed them, even if some of us do keep on pushing; but regardles, stretching those limits juuust a little (or even a lottle ) intentionally or not, means that she WILL step in & do whatever she's been designed to do in order to haul your arse outta the sling you just dumped it into - even if it's sooo tiny a 'save' that you don't recognise it occurred! And from my experience, she does that REALLY WELL!! Especially those 'tiny saves' that many never even notice - she doesn't always light up the dash either, but as a Safety Package, she's always there doing her thing at some level! In fact, she's one of the best 'Safety packages' I've ever experienced - and I've experienced more'n just a few of them, some on very expensive vehicles too!!

Still, no matter how good she might be, the Nanny can't protect you from the extremes of human frailty &/or stupidity, be it your's or some other road user's - exceed those bounds & Sorry, but you're on your own!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2021 at 08:14 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Death wish?? Don't think so...

My goal on roads that I enjoy is to ride at about 80-85%, so there is a margin for the unexpected. I was very surprised to have the ruler come out, for what I thought were pretty mild maneuvers. I have to admit that the hook-up and drive from the rear Kumho Ecsta P31 inspired more twist-of-the-wrist.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've had her kick in quite a few times when I start out from a particular traffic light with a hard left. Hit the throttle hard and all of a sudden I can't get more speed. Finish the curve and get on to the straight and it's instantly back to hard acceleration. Speed alone is not the determining factor. It's a combination of speed and sharpness of turn which translates into yaw. She'll kick in at 20 mph if the turn is sharp enough, like the one at the traffic light. On some really curvy roads I've been on she kicked in and I heard a tire squeal. I don't know if the tire slid sideways or if she hit the brake so hard it made the tires skid momentarily.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Nanny works with alot of parameters, and one very important one, is wheelspeed, when you corner hard (left or right), wheelspeed changes on the innerwheel in the corner, and that is why the "nun with the ruler"does her job.
    Even better noticeable, when drivin 2up...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Nanny works with alot of parameters, and one very important one, is wheelspeed, when you corner hard (left or right), wheelspeed changes on the innerwheel in the corner, and that is why the "nun with the ruler"does her job.
    Even better noticeable, when drivin 2up...
    When that seat switch is engaged in the rear, she is on over drive, and really watches out for your bacon!! So make sure your over night bags not on the switch, if you want to play with your friends in the twistys!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Had "Nanny" engage a few times in the Sierra passes. Mostly on the east face ( the steep side). What i've found is that being SMOOTH delays her intervention. On some of the dead slow hairpin turns , I hang off to the inside of the turn with inside knee pressing hard against the " tank" to keep me steady. Smooth on the bars too. Nanny has said hello when there has been sand or gravel on the roads ( usually after an early spring snow event). Like letting off the throttle in the middle of a corner.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

BRP has refined the Nanny over the years to where she is less abrupt in the current models. But it feels like you and your ride are not on the same page. Because you're not!

You want to go, and SHE doesn't, (had horses do the same thing).

Like all Nannies, she can be very annoying. Showing up at the exact wrong time. Which means neither of you are happy!

There are ways to lessen her interference.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm very familiar with nanny and she's probably kept me out of trouble more than a few times -- except once !!. She put me in a situation that could have been more dangerous than leaving me alone. High speed sweepers on Hwy 20 west of Clear Lake, CA. Some here may be familiar with the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do additions like sway bars, adjustable shocks, and stage 2 interfere with nanny's parameters?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Do additions like sway bars, adjustable shocks, and stage 2 interfere with nanny's parameters?
    Yes, they do. By reducing excessive lean angle, it serves to tame the Nanny. She is still there to keep you out of trouble. But she will no longer hinder you unnecessarily.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Yes, they do. By reducing excessive lean angle, it serves to tame the Nanny. She is still there to keep you out of trouble. But she will no longer hinder you unnecessarily.
    Ahhhh, that's possibly why she's never slapped me. Did a 30' drift 180-degree 1/2 donut in the gravel leaning like I was in a sidecar; and nothing? I don't normally ride like that, but I was just trying to test her. If she never comes to visit I'm happy with that.