Spyder Garage

Default Problem installing show chrome backrest 2020 rt limited

Installing a show chrome driver back rest and need to know the trick to getting the rear seat pan lifted up to install the riser bracket that the backrest slips into. The slingmods video shows lifting or shaking the pan in the middle and instructions show lift up on right side. I can't get either methods to move the pan. Video says loosen bolts and instructions said remove the bolts, the bolts are completely loosened. Any help will be appeciated.

Spyder Garage

Did you check out this thread, & watch the vid linked, the first one is the important one I think?? But check the rest of the thread, it'll make which clear.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...light=Backrest
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

We had same problem on my 2021 RTL. The bracket didn't just slip into the seat pan easily as the video showed. Friend got a little rough with it and finally finagled it in. Hope we can get it out... I have just ordered a new Utopia as the ShowChrome just does not have the features I am used to on a Utopia...ie...larger size pad and easy back/forward adjustment with just a turn of the lockwasher with your fingers. ShowChrome, you have to adjust with wrenches.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

IIRC, on my 2020 RT there was a wire bundle blocking the lower area which didn't allow the bracket to drop all the way down into the slot. Also, it is a little tricky getting the angle just right. Those 2 large screws are the only ones you need to remove in the seat pan area but it takes some coaxing to get the required clearance after those screws are removed.

BTW, I gave up on the Show Chrome backrest - very uncomfortable. I now have a Utopia which is better but it pushes my "sit bones" too far forward so instead of my back hurting on long rides, my butt hurts.

Considering the OEM backrest but the price is outrageous.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    IIRC, on my 2020 RT there was a wire bundle blocking the lower area which didn't allow the bracket to drop all the way down into the slot. Also, it is a little tricky getting the angle just right. Those 2 large screws are the only ones you need to remove in the seat pan area but it takes some coaxing to get the required clearance after those screws are removed.

BTW, I gave up on the Show Chrome backrest - very uncomfortable. I now have a Utopia which is better but it pushes my "sit bones" too far forward so instead of my back hurting on long rides, my butt hurts.

Considering the OEM backrest but the price is outrageous.
    Have you tried the Air Hawk? I have used one since they first came out - still use the original... love it!

ONE MORE QUESTION: DID YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM GETTING THE SHOWCHROME BRACKET OUT OF THE SEAT PAN OR WAS IT AS MUCH HASSLE GETTING IT OUT AS GETTING IT IN? MY UTOPIA IS DUE HERE AROUND MAY 12 OR SO.... THANKS.[/B]
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2021 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    We had same problem on my 2021 RTL. The bracket didn't just slip into the seat pan easily as the video showed. Friend got a little rough with it and finally finagled it in. Hope we can get it out... I have just ordered a new Utopia as the ShowChrome just does not have the features I am used to on a Utopia...ie...larger size pad and easy back/forward adjustment with just a turn of the lockwasher with your fingers. ShowChrome, you have to adjust with wrenches.
    Same install issue with Utopia. First thought, that bracket isn't going in there. Had to get rough with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCK1 View Post
    Installing a show chrome driver back rest and need to know the trick to getting the rear seat pan lifted up to install the riser bracket that the backrest slips into. The slingmods video shows lifting or shaking the pan in the middle and instructions show lift up on right side. I can't get either methods to move the pan. Video says loosen bolts and instructions said remove the bolts, the bolts are completely loosened. Any help will be appeciated.
    I faced the same problem with my wife's 2021 Sea to Sky. Tugging harder eventually worked and the bracket slipped into place. It was a little unnerving but it did work and so all is well.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

By any chance do you have a link to the air hawk I just purchased a 21 RTL

Spyder Garage

Airhawk quality has dropped since I bought 1st one in 2010. The base of the stem leaked on both of mine. 1st one lasted 6 years, 2nd one less than 2 years. Look at the WildAss air cushion as well. On year 3 of WA and so far it's holding.
    Amazon has both brands. Get the large kidney shape.
    https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Ass-Desi...s%2C670&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Cruis...13RGDGQ8&psc=1
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Tip to get (at least the Utopia) the bracket in; the bracket goes on TOP of the square tube (and the wires run in a channel under it). I used a small plastic trim removal tool inserted between the seat pan and the tube in a hole about 4" outboard from the center to pry the square tube and seat pan apart a little. The bracket dropped right in!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-07-2021 at 10:44 PM. Reason: wres = wires?! ;-)
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c