Spyder Garage

Default Is 2021 RTL gearing the same as 2019's?

Is the 2021 RTL geared the same as 2019's? It might be me but my 2021 seems to have more power than the 2019 did.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Speaking of gearing, I am a little puzzled by my 2021 RT Limited. It seems to go so fast through 4th gear, then 5th a little longer. I can drive 6th from 45 mph to top speed. It seems all the gears are packed really low under 45 mph. I kind of wish they spread them out a bit keeping 6th as an overdrive that was best used at highway speeds. Maybe we could get better gas mileage as well.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    Is the 2021 RTL geared the same as 2019's? It might be me but my 2021 seems to have more power than the 2019 did.
    I don't own one, but 2 of my buddies traded in their 2014 and 2015 RT for a 2020 RT Limited. They said the 2020 was smoother, but not as strong as their older bikes. I did a test ride on a 2020, and I came to the same conclusion. Very smooth though.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

This video by BRP engineer explains the 1330 engine when released. Just wondering if there have been changes since to either engine or transmission? I would think the increased smoothness likely due to changes in sprocket, idler pulley, other BRP micro changes over the pre 2020 machines. I seldom use 6th gear unless speeds >60-65 mph. I like the "compressed" torque curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD0syuHXBIE&t=6s
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-04-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The final drive rear sprocket is the 79 T on the 20/21 RT's...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    This video by BRP engineer explains the 1330 engine when released. Just wondering if there have been changes since to either engine or transmission? I would think the increased smoothness likely due to changes in sprocket, idler pulley, other BRP micro changes over the pre 2020 machines. I seldom use 6th gear unless speeds >60-65 mph. I like the "compressed" torque curve.

I think the url is incorrect. I was hoping to see a real live BRP engineer ..........
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-04-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Fixed link in quote
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Oops, that one to my ranch friend near Cotulla, TX. Try this one for BRP engineer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Speaking of gearing, I am a little puzzled by my 2021 RT Limited. It seems to go so fast through 4th gear, then 5th a little longer. I can drive 6th from 45 mph to top speed. It seems all the gears are packed really low under 45 mph. I kind of wish they spread them out a bit keeping 6th as an overdrive that was best used at highway speeds. Maybe we could get better gas mileage as well.
    My 2020RT would have no issues with at least one more top end gear. Engine has plenty of grunt at 2800-3000 RPM for interstate cruising at 80mph or so.

Spyder Garage

I looked up on BRP parts, both 2019 & 2021 have the same front and rear sprockets. I have notice that it seems smoother also.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

The 2020/2021 RT's do not have that long, squashed, convoluted intake tube.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Question

Better intake and throttle body question

But they do have a baffled intake. Intake air has to make a sharp 180* turn, just after entering the Spyder before the " long, squashed, convoluted intake tube." Not exactly "ram air". I cut out the front of it and will continue to open and smooth the intake opening. One horsepower at a time-- so to speak.

Another power question if I may:

On the 1330 ECU, does the throttle body open 100% at full throttle????? I think it does NOT but would love to know for sure. Pretty sure the ECU stage 1 flash does open the throttle body fully.
    Thanks Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-19-2023 at 04:24 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    My 2020RT would have no issues with at least one more top end gear. Engine has plenty of grunt at 2800-3000 RPM for interstate cruising at 80mph or so.
    Totally agree

Spyder Garage

The front rear sprocket ratio, 28/79 teeth has not changed since introduction of the 1330 according to OEM parts catalogs.

Spyder Garage

In 1st & 2nd gear they only open about 70% until into the engine gets into the higher rev ranges. Also, the butterfly opens at a predetermined "slow" rate no matter how hard or fast you yank the throttle. This lessens the forces on the clutch plates, gears, and rear tire, all of which reduces the chance of inadvertently inducing rear wheel spin, which is viewed as a safety problem. The Pedal Commander eliminates this conservative CYA safeguard entirely. The butterfly will open 100% and it will open as fast as you can yank the throttle to its stop, if that is what you want. Thus, contrary to popular belief, the Pedal Commander does increase torque, horsepower and response, but only in that 800-900 idle range to about 3,000 rpm, an rpm range wherein most dynos don't or can't measure, in part due to the low numbers. That is nonetheless why you get that sense of improved drivability & response (quickness). Also, regardless of stock, Stage 1 or Stage 2 flashes, the Pedal Commander further improves the very low-end performance of the engine. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-19-2023 at 04:26 PM.