Spyder Garage

Default Is it OK to let the swing arm hang during 2021 rear wheel removal?

Not removed a rear wheel for a long time. I have all the tools and knowledge EXCEPT, my memory fails me on one point. I usually remove the lower damper bolt to allow the wheel to drop low enough to get the belt off. Is it OK to let the swing arm just hang while I get the new tyre fitted ( Vredestein Quatrac ).
    Seasons Greetings to all.
    Alan.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-18-2023 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Not removed a rear wheel for a long time. I have all the tools and knowledge EXCEPT, my memory fails me on one point. I usually remove the lower damper bolt to allow the wheel to drop low enough to get the belt off. Is it OK to let the swing arm just hang while I get the new tyre fitted ( Vredestein Quatrac ).
    Seasons Greetings to all.
    Alan.
    Damper bolt ???? ..... I remove the shock bolt .... I put a bolt of wood ( that's a bit larger than the metal tabs ) on the jack, under the schock ....then raise it up ..... if you have a rear fender flap , I would remove that also ....good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

UK = damper USA = shock Same thing. Isle of Man = Cronk y Voddy maybe
    Last edited by Arion; 12-18-2023 at 12:24 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Not sure as I have not done it yet but, maybe unhook the control arm for the shock.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

That's all I do, then jack it to the moon! If you lift it in the air off the ground, I just roll the wheel backwards and work the belt off it will almost pull off easily, then once the belts off lower it to just touch the floor enough to pull the axle out. Then you jack it up just enough to roll the wheel out under the mudflap. When I go to put it back in, I put it in place, lower the bike enough to put the axle back in the wheel, jack it back up off the ground, start the belt on the back sprocket and spin the belt forwards till it on and in place. Belt, axle, brake assembly then the control arm then set tension and alignment, ride it!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-18-2023 at 03:21 PM. Reason: axel (ice-skating jump!) ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Not sure as I have not done it yet but, maybe unhook the control arm for the shock.
    Yes, you need to do this or you'll create issues. Make sure you re-attach it when finished. We've had customers do both. The latter isn't so bad as no damage occurs. But still a good idea to remember.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the replies. The reason I asked was that I wasn't sure if the swing arm would be left hanging on the air bag or does it rest on something else, the cat maybe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Thanks to all for the replies. The reason I asked was that I wasn't sure if the swing arm would be left hanging on the air bag or does it rest on something else, the cat maybe.
    It will be hanging on the shock, and that's about all that things worth in my book!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl