Spyder Garage

Default After market trailer Hitch not centered on body??

My 2021 RTL trailer hitch It doesn't centered to body of spyder rather in centered to the wheel.
    Is this normal?KakaoTalk_20210427_100059534.jpg

Spyder Garage

Yes. It has to make way for the belt.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks ,,

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Actually, to me something doesn't look quite right. How about posting a couple more photos clearly showing the mounting to the swing arm. I just checked my 8 year old after market hitch and it is centered with respect to the wheel and body. But mine is 2014. Maybe there is a shift in the position of the swing arm and tire with respect to the body, beginning with the 2020 models. Or your hitch may have been manufactured incorrectly, but the offset probably isn't enough to create a problem other than your tendency, if it exists, to be OCD about such things.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Yes. It has to make way for the belt.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i just put one on looks exactly the same

Spyder Garage

You wouldn't want the hitch not centered on the wheel. Offset from the wheel would be potential problem city.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

According to the OP's picture it looks then like the body is not centered over the rear wheel. My hitch is centered with the tire and body, and yes, the left side is offset to go around the pulley.

Would someone who has a 2020 or 2021 confirm that the body is not centered with the tire? A straight on rear photo would be good. I couldn't find one on the 'net. If that is the case then it's a mystery why the Spyder is designed that way. Is it possible the body on the OP's RT is installed incorrectly? Prior to 2020 the RT body was centered over the rear tire.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

it is all centered just clearance for pulley

Spyder Garage

That hitch looks substantial. What brand and dealer? I need to get one to mount a Uni-Go adapter on.
    Oh, and here is a photo of a 2021 RT Limited from the back. Swing arm is off-center, but not the tire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

KakaoTalk_20210427_100126351.jpgKakaoTalk_20210427_100112675.jpg
    Talked to pirre at spyderaccesary said it has to be center to the tire not the body.
    Last edited by Supercrawler; 04-28-2021 at 05:51 PM. Reason: add

Spyder Garage

I purchased this hitch from eBay pretty Strout well made.

Spyder Garage

Rear

Spyder Garage

It sure looks to me like the body is not centered over the tire. Makes me really wonder if it was not assembled quite right. Have the dealer take a look at and check out other RTs they have. The picture above from pidjones looks like the body on his RT is centered. As others have said your hitch is correctly installed.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue with aftermarket hitch today. went to my local Can am dealer and bought OEM Can am hitch it is centered perfectly. So I don't buy the excuse the after market builders are saying. If Can Am can make it correct why can't the others

Spyder Garage

On the pictured aftermarket hitch by the OP I'm curious ...are there plastic shims on the brackets that go over the swingarms? Or is it metal to metal?
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    On the pictured aftermarket hitch by the OP I'm curious ...are there plastic shims on the brackets that go over the swingarms? Or is it metal to metal?
    Metal to metal on mine which I bought in 2014.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I think we are getting a optical allusion, the picture may be a little off center, and with the way the frame work is going around the sprocket it is throwing us off! If when standing directly in back of the bike the ball lines up with the center of the wheel, then it's right, if it isn't then some on may have drilled the hole off center or the whole bracket was tweaked some how! If you know some one that welds it should not be a big deal to fix!!! That hitch plate was installed a little off from where it should have been, probably done on a Monday or Friday
    2012 RTL , Pearl