Spyder Garage

Default What Coolant should I use to top-up?

I am going on a small camping trip for a couple days and i checked my fluids.. My coolant was a little low... My dealer is a bit far away so id like to avoid the trip if i can.. any recommendations on brands of coolant from auto part stores. I know use pre-mixed 50/50 ethelene glycol coolant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    I am going on a small camping trip for a couple days and i checked my fluids.. My coolant was a little low... My dealer is a bit far away so id like to avoid the trip if i can.. any recommendations on brands of coolant from auto part stores. I know use pre-mixed 50/50 ethelene glycol coolant
    If you haven't experienced any " overheating issues " and you checked if the cap is tight .... I wouldn't be concerned if you can't top it off right now ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

From service manual:

ENGINE COOLANT

WARNING
    To avoid potential burns, do not remove the coolant tank cap or any fastener from the cooling system if the engine is hot.

COOLANT
    BRP recommended product
    Scandinavia: EXTENDED LIFE PRE-MIXED COOLANT (EUR)(P/N 779223)
    All other countries: EXTENDED LIFE PRE-MIXED COOLANT (P/N 779150)

Alternative, or if not available
    Distilled water and antifreeze solution (50% distilled water, 50% antifreeze)

NOTICE
    A blend of 50% antifreeze with 50% distilled water will improve the cooling efficiency. Using tap water instead of distilled water, would contribute to make deposits in cooling system and to reduce antifreeze efficiency. This could lead to engine overheating.

To prevent antifreeze deterioration, always use the same brand. Never mix different brands unless cooling system is completely flushed and refilled.

NOTICE
    To prevent rust formation or freezing condition in cold areas, always replenish the system with 50% antifreeze and 50% distilled water. Pure antifreeze will freeze at a higher temperature than the optimal water/antifreeze mix. Always use ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors specifically recommended for aluminum engines.