Spyder Garage

Default Need some advice on Rider to Passenger Communication

Alright, Im not too familiar with the latest communication devices for motorcycles. I'm going to tell you what i want to achieve and for those that use these devices if you could tell me if there is a device that would help me achieve my goals would be greatly appreciated.

Normally when i ride i dont use a helmet (not required in SC) but for some strange reason i feel i need to start (i don't know why because for 25 years never really wanted one) but anyhow, What i would like is:
    1. When the better half rides with me i would like to be able to talk easily with her without having to yell.
    2. Would like to stream the music to both head sets from the bike (2019 F3L) which is bluetoothed from my phone. (want to use the bluetooth from the bike to the head units so i can use the OEM controls to control the music like i do currently
    3. She needs to be able to talk on her phone when needed without us having to pull to the side of the road so she and her contact can hear each other. She is district manager of a fast food chain and is also getting calls.

I looked up Cardo and Sena systems but in none of their operating manuals where i could find that she would have her own Access to her phone and could make and receive calls without the other rider being disturbed. Maybe i missed something but with both systems it always seemed like one headunit was like the master and the others were slaves if you got like the Duo sets.

I did see where the systems can jump from bike to bike so in theory the below should work, Yes? I just dont want to spend that much money on the communication system that doesnt do what i want.

Im wondering if i purchased two separate head units Sena or Cardo if they could both be linked with the bike to receive the music output and also the navigation instructions (im prone to miss a few instructions at times, i just zone out) that are streamed from my phone to the bike and currently play over the radio speakers. I thought i saw somewhere that you can link about 5 devices to the bike without having to delete one but i could be getting that confused with one of my other vehicles.

Anyhow, for those with communication devices if you have yours setup this way could you please share the make and model of the device you are using?

Spyder Garage

If she is pointing, just nod your head. If you feel a pounding on the back of you helmet, it means you are going over 80 MPH.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think the Sena 50S maybe what you need will do what you need. Give Motorcycle Dave a call he can give you all the info you need for the different types of head set that will do what you need and he will give you a good price also if you tell him your from SpyderLovers. His number is on the home page.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 04-27-2021 at 04:20 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

i can say Sena 20S can have EACH phone paired to EACH headset. if you look up each unit, you can see in descriptions / specs, what each unit / brand can do. also motorcycle dave can help
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Maybe my Sena 50s isn’t set up right. But I’m thinking you either pipe music, phone or intercom. I don’t think you could have intercom with background music. I know the phone can trump the intercom.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As the others have pointed out.....Motorcycle Dave. The others are telling you what they know only. Motorcycle Dave is a dealer for Sena, and his prices cannot be beaten.....by anybody. He is a very knowledgeable man and can answer ALL of your questions.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    i can say Sena 20S can have EACH phone paired to EACH headset. if you look up each unit, you can see in descriptions / specs, what each unit / brand can do. also motorcycle dave can help
    That's my understanding also.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Our old Sena system is so good that we have no need to get a better system. It's 5 years old and has been through it all. Even being pulled apart to change the batteries. Stick with Dave and Sena and you can't go wrong. Just don't try to interface with the

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

We use the Cardo freedom 4 units. Mine is paired with the bike and my phone paired to the bike. So when I ride alone I usually have the music and if needed directions from my phone playing on the communication system and if I get a call I can answer it and music will resume afterwards. I haven’t tried it but there is a feature where I can share whatever I am listening to with the passenger. Her helmet is paired only to her phone and of course my helmet, so she can answer calls independently.
    So I think this will serve your requirements. I didn’t go for the more expensive units because I couldn’t justify the cost for features like Mesh that I won’t use.
    2020 Spyder RT base
    2020 RT , Chalk White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
    Alright, Im not too familiar with the latest communication devices for motorcycles. I'm going to tell you what i want to achieve and for those that use these devices if you could tell me if there is a device that would help me achieve my goals would be greatly appreciated.

Normally when i ride i dont use a helmet (not required in SC) but for some strange reason i feel i need to start (i don't know why because for 25 years never really wanted one) but anyhow, What i would like is:
    1. When the better half rides with me i would like to be able to talk easily with her without having to yell.
    2. Would like to stream the music to both head sets from the bike (2019 F3L) which is bluetoothed from my phone. (want to use the bluetooth from the bike to the head units so i can use the OEM controls to control the music like i do currently
    3. She needs to be able to talk on her phone when needed without us having to pull to the side of the road so she and her contact can hear each other. She is district manager of a fast food chain and is also getting calls.

I looked up Cardo and Sena systems but in none of their operating manuals where i could find that she would have her own Access to her phone and could make and receive calls without the other rider being disturbed. Maybe i missed something but with both systems it always seemed like one headunit was like the master and the others were slaves if you got like the Duo sets.

I did see where the systems can jump from bike to bike so in theory the below should work, Yes? I just dont want to spend that much money on the communication system that doesnt do what i want.

Im wondering if i purchased two separate head units Sena or Cardo if they could both be linked with the bike to receive the music output and also the navigation instructions (im prone to miss a few instructions at times, i just zone out) that are streamed from my phone to the bike and currently play over the radio speakers. I thought i saw somewhere that you can link about 5 devices to the bike without having to delete one but i could be getting that confused with one of my other vehicles.

Anyhow, for those with communication devices if you have yours setup this way could you please share the make and model of the device you are using?
    Howdy ....
    Well it looks like a call to Dave is in order,
    I will be happy to help you sort out your communications needs
    Give me a call 209-887-3283 7days a week, 9:00AM to 8:00PM PACIFIC TIME
    I Can help.
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg

Spyder Garage

I have the Cardo Packtalk Bold and it does everything that you described that you are looking for. My wife and I can communicate, we can hear what is being fed into the bike, I have OEM control of the music and my wife can take calls. If you go with Cardo, don’t buy a Sena. The Cardo voice activation is amazing. It actually works better if you don’t yell.

While you can connect a Cardo to a Sena, it will be connected in Bluetooth and not in the mesh mode. The difference between being connected to her in Bluetooth compared the the default Mesh system may sound like it is not a big deal, but one unit will have shorter battery life. Additionally, one phone channel (possibly hers) will be accompanied by the Bluetooth connection because it may be a Cardo connecting to a Sena. She then can’t take calls because that channel is occupied to communicate with you via Bluetooth If you buy Cardo, but the dual pack and you won’t have this issue. They are tied together in Mesh Mode out of the box and work just as you described. All you have to do is connect to the bike and connect each phone.

Good Luck and I hope this information was helpful.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DPSPYDER View Post
    I have the Cardo Packtalk Bold and it does everything that you described that you are looking for. My wife and I can communicate, we can hear what is being fed into the bike, I have OEM control of the music and my wife can take calls. If you go with Cardo, don’t buy a Sena. The Cardo voice activation is amazing. It actually works better if you don’t yell.

While you can connect a Cardo to a Sena, it will be connected in Bluetooth and not in the mesh mode. The difference between being connected to her in Bluetooth compared the the default Mesh system may sound like it is not a big deal, but one unit will have shorter battery life. Additionally, one phone channel (possibly hers) will be accompanied by the Bluetooth connection because it may be a Cardo connecting to a Sena. She then can’t take calls because that channel is occupied to communicate with you via Bluetooth If you buy Cardo, but the dual pack and you won’t have this issue. They are tied together in Mesh Mode out of the box and work just as you described. All you have to do is connect to the bike and connect each phone.

Good Luck and I hope this information was helpful.
    Thanks for that info, I've been interested int the Packtalk Bold for a while and that answers some questions I had.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Our old Sena system is so good that we have no need to get a better system. It's 5 years old and has been through it all. Even being pulled apart to change the batteries. Stick with Dave and Sena and you can't go wrong. Just don't try to interface with the

Lew L
    Lew, both my Sena 20s units have gone completely dead and can't be brought back to life. I'd like to try replacing their batteries. Do you have a source and advice?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Lew, both my Sena 20s units have gone completely dead and can't be brought back to life. I'd like to try replacing their batteries. Do you have a source and advice?
    there are a few of us that would like to know that.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I just ordered the batteries from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-S.../dp/B00YZM8D5I

When they arrive I'll follow some YouTube instructions such as this https://youtu.be/vzzTNr96BWA

By the way, I've been trying to get help from Sena for about a week now. Plenty of emails back and forth but a fruitless exercise. I'll respond to their question and a day later I will hear from an entirely different tech who in most cases hasn't bothered to read all the information I've previously provided. Not one of them has answered the simple question of whether I can send my units in for out-of-warranty repair.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-05-2021 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Correction
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

In the old days, my wife used to beat on the back of my helmet when she didn't like the way I was riding. Things have come a long way since then....

As always, the tech is wonderful, when it works. You can always resort to the old school method when it doesn't!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

So, with the phone connected (Bluetooth) to the bike, The bike connected (Bluetooth) to the helmets you can answer your phone through helmet? Mine (Freecom 4+) is ignoring my "Answer" command when phone is ringing. I dont know if it is my southern draw or just the way i have it Connected is causing me not to be able to answer phone. Im thinking it might be my southern Draw more than anything because Cardo has a hard time following most of my commands, I have to slow down my thinking and try to talk like normal person.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
    So, with the phone connected (Bluetooth) to the bike, The bike connected (Bluetooth) to the helmets you can answer your phone through helmet? Mine (Freecom 4+) is ignoring my "Answer" command when phone is ringing. I dont know if it is my southern draw or just the way i have it Connected is causing me not to be able to answer phone. Im thinking it might be my southern Draw more than anything because Cardo has a hard time following most of my commands, I have to slow down my thinking and try to talk like normal person.
    Maybe they’ll have an app for that, kind of like this Midwest Siri. https://youtu.be/l_8n2q5iI4E
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey