Spyder Garage

Default Just hit my first dog

Another first for me, been riding two wheelers for lots of years and had a couple of close calls but today I actually ran over a rather large dog with my 2015 RT Spyder. Cruising a two lane paved country road two up with the wife, cruise set at 30 MPH. As I approached a farmhouse an automobile behind me passed on my left. A pit bull size dog ran from the farmhouse to chase the automobile and ran right in front of me. I don't think the animal even noticed me maybe two car lengths behind the car. Unavoidably I kind of rolled over the dog instead of colliding with it like would happen with a deer, lost control and entered the 2 foot deep roadside ditch at about a 30 degree angle, continued rolling out into a flat freshly planted corn field. We dismounted to assess damage and notify the dogs owner of what happened when the farmer came to us seeking assurance that us two elderly people were not injured while I was concerned about the dog.
    There is no apparent damage to the Spyder and I am thankful that neither the wife or I left the saddle. I have wondered how our trike would handle rough terrain like a ditch and I can testify I am pleasantly surprised.
    I don't know the condition of the dog but he left the roadside on his own. If he survives I expect he will always have a contempt for Spyders.
    Just wanted to share my story.

Spyder Garage

Glad you won the battle of the beasts!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Based on the title of your thread, it reads like you intend to hit more. How many are in your plans?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Maybe working his way up to deer? I'd much rather face off with a cat! Deer hits are costly!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Based on the title of your thread, it reads like you intend to hit more. How many are in your plans?
    I thought the same thing for a moment before smiling. Reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife some years ago. I had gone to Maine without her. She was helping take care of her ailing father and would follow later. When I called, she asked if I had seen any moose. My reply was, "Yes I saw two and I missed the first one." I think ti took several days for the answer to register.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Maybe working his way up to deer? I'd much rather face off with a cat! Deer hits are costly!
    D8 or D9 Cat?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you got through it unscathed.

Very scary, they come out of nowhere, just like deer. Been there, done that. No more if I can help it. I was going 55. Had to hit the dog head on. A loaded cement truck was in the oncoming lane. Had to hold on and take the consequences. The dog was killed, the truck kept going, and the Spyder received $2K in cosmetic damages. It gave me many miles and years of service after the fix. I would call myself lucky.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Glad your close encounter kept you in the saddle and not airborne. Animals along the way are so dangerous and the source of much adrenalin in a rider's veins!

Spyder Garage

I've hit some pretty big things with my Spyder, nothing living though.

Instead of you're 'Hitting my first dog'. Let's hope that you've hit your LAST dog (or anything else for that matter).

Glad you and the wife are fine, and no harm to the Spyder. Pitbulls are pretty tough. Unless he broke a bone, I suspect he will be fine as well.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Wow, close calls will leave the heart racing. Glad you are ok and got back on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Ok is your name a coincidence lol