Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else had issues with hearing aids & helmet intercomm?

My problem: My wife wears hearing aids. When we connect our helmets with Sena I can hear fine, but i sound like I'm talking in a tunnel for her. She hears, a crackle noise and can not make out what I'm saying. I can set both helmets to connect to music from my iphone, and the sound is fine. Has anyone else had issues with hearing aids? Any suggestions?
    Cheers,
    Gary

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    My problem: My wife wears hearing aids. When we connect our helmets with Sena I can hear fine, but i sound like I'm talking in a tunnel for her. She hears, a crackle noise and can not make out what I'm saying. I can set both helmets to connect to music from my iphone, and the sound is fine. Has anyone else had issues with hearing aids? Any suggestions?
    Cheers,
    Gary
    YES. I have hearing aids as well but they hurt my ears when I put on my helmet, tell her to take them off and put her helmet back on
    and adjust her volume up high so she can hear.. that works for me.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

I do the same as Motorcycle Dave says, it works out good for me.

Spyder Garage

I wear hearing aids also, but when on the Spyder I remove them and put ear plugs in my ear instead. If I didn't do that the hearing aids would amplify the road, engine and wind noise to the point they would be intolerable. Trust me I did that by accident once and once only. Rode for about 3 hours and couldn't figure out why it was so noisy. When I stopped for fuel I discovered the aids were in my ear and removed them and put in my ear plugs. Great relief and with the ear plugs I use the helmet speakers provide enough volume that I can hear fine.

Bartender.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Also wear hearing aids, but I usually use my Sena Cavalry helmet (1/2 helmet) so I leave my hearing aids in as if I take them out, the wind noise hurts my ears (the hearing aids act kind of like ear plugs. In windy or inclement weather, I use my 3/4 helmet and take my hearing aids out. just my $0.02 worth.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I wear hearing aids but do not wear them when riding because of the risk of pulling one or both out of my ears when doffing the helmet, and I wear ear plugs because I am going deaf. I turn my Sena 20S EVO to max volume and have no trouble hearing other riders.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I wear hearing aids but do not wear them when riding because of the risk of pulling one or both out of my ears when doffing the helmet, and I wear ear plugs because I am going deaf. I turn my Sena 20S EVO to max volume and have no trouble hearing other riders.
    Same here. Early in my hearing aid journey I had one pop out while removing my helmet and it took forever to find it. I no longer wear them while riding and have no trouble communicating with my wife or hearing music.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I wear aids all the time I have no problem. I have Sena 50s with no problem. My aids are very small that go way down in my ears. I don’t have anything on the outside of my ears.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Huh, what was that? I wear aids also but not when I'm riding. They pick up too much ambient noise. I've tried both behind the ear and in the canal aids and I find that the in the canal type are the easiest to deal with. More expensive, but worth it. I have the Sena 20S intercoms and with the boost feature, everything works well. MC Dave is the go-to guy.