Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Potential new buyer needs advice

Background - long term 2-wheel rider (most recently BMW GSs, Triumphs, Hondas) - who has a bad knee after 5 surgeries (4 unnecessary if the first one had worked). Sigh. But that is the case and I am where I am. I am 6'2", 240 (post Covid) lbs, and can only bend my left knee 70 degrees or so comfortably - so I need to stretch out a bit. If I want to continue to ride I need a DCT or automatic and the stability of a 3-wheeler. I ride 70% 2-up with my wife who loves to ride. I sat on a '21 Spider Limited and it worked.

Questions:

How many of you have migrated from a 2-wheeler?
    What was the transition like (in terms of ease and time to get comfortable)?
    How does the experience change?
    Do you miss the lean and 2-wheels?

Thanks so much,

David
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I have a somewhat similar story. I began riding in 1952 and 3 years ago a leg problem told me no more 2 wheeling. If I wanted to stay in the wind, it will have to be on 3. I tried trikes and sidecars - both were not for me. I sat on an RT (remember, this was 3 years ago) and it was a horrible fit. But the F3 Limited next to it was a dream. The movable floorboards are great. But you really have to try them out - the RT sits you differently than does and F3. And since the 2020 model, the RT has been vastly redesigned.
    Yup, there is a learning curve - your brain and body will have to be reprogrammed. A friend told me it will take 1K miles before I felt comfortable and another 1K before I am confident that I am in control. He was spot on! My worst nemesis was off camber left hand curves as the bike leans right when you are turning left. I now have 6K under my belt and I whip it around like a teen who stole it. No, I do not miss the lean.
    I now can go back to riding a 2 wheeler if I want. Do I want? Hell no! I look for more excuses/reasons to ride my Spyder than I ever did a 2 wheeler. I did love 2 wheeling, been all over the country and Europe, but I am loving the Spyder even more. So will you, I am certain.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

David, I've ridden 2 wheels for almost 55 yrs of and on. I sold my 2013 Vstar 1300 a few months ago. Have been riding a spyder now for I think over a year. It was an adjustment of sorts. MC you lean to turn. A spyder you turn it. As most will tell you that it takes anywhere from 1000 miles to 1500 miles before you start feeling comfortable. I do miss the 2 wheels a lot, but at 71 you gotta start figuring that 3 wheels are much safer than 2. I may get me a smaller 2 wheel just for puttin around.
    BTW, I had right knee replacement over 9 years ago. It's working out okay.
    Good luck. This is a great sight with a wealth of knowledge.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think that you will find that the majority of Spyder Lovers members have transitioned from 2 wheels. Myself, it took me about 6 months to FULLY become comfortable (I’m a slow learner)....that was 5 years ago. Every now and again I get nostalgic and want the ride of two wheels, but I just give my head a shake. I love my RTS-SE6.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I rode 2 wheels for 14 years and then a hiatus for the last 5 years so I'm not coming straight from 2 wheels. I just took delivery of my 2021 RTL two weeks ago. I have 340 miles on it now and it took about 200 for me to be super comfortable with it. The 5 yr hiatus helped for sure but I don't feel like it was overly hard to adapt. It reminds me of the days riding 3 wheelers back in the 70s when you would shift your body weight to the inside of the turns. I only find myself doing that if I am trying to hot rod it around turns. I'm in West Tennessee so it's not super curvy. I'll eventually head over to the Ozarks for some twisty fun but I will probably have the upgraded sway bar before then.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing! Great info!

Spyder Garage

If and when you get one, remember this. On the open road you do NOT steer it. You just need to relax and guide it down the road. If you try to STEER it on the road, it will be all over the road! I just rest my hands on the handle bars with it on cruise control and guide it along. In the twisties you press on the outside handle bar and look to where you want it to go and shift your weight and lean to the direction of the corner.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder driving

All good advice above .... When I took my first test drive, I was told to " just drive it like a car " .... after 50 + years on two wheels ... I had no problems and traded my 03 GW that day .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I can from 2 wheels after 40 years and I'm still not comfortable on the spyder but I only have about 200 miles on it due to weather

Spyder Garage

Placeholder. Am I allowed to do that I'm going to post here later I'm at work

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    Placeholder. Am I allowed to do that I'm going to post here later I'm at work
    Only if you post a brand new reply instead of significantly adding to or editing the above! We try to discourage posts like that quoted, and certainly discourage people from editing out the bulk of the content of any post they might've put up earlier, because after any post has been up for anything much more than a few minutes, gutting that post or even significantly changing it is almost as bad as deleting them - any of that stuff hurts the Forum's standing with all the search engines, meaning if it happens too much we get dropped down or even entirely off their displayed results, and that means fewer viewers, which makes the place less viable for our owner/sponsors &/or less useful/helpful to continue to operate!

And THAT is why the 'Delete your own posts or threads' facility was removed a while back & is no longer available to members! Similarly, too much 'misuse' of the 'edit your own posts' facility as described above could well lead to the same thing happening to that facility!! So if you truly have something that is erroneous or embarrasing etc which you posted more than a few minutes ago & now want removed, we'd much rather you contact a Mod (look for the Green usernames!) and ask them to 'delete it' via PM, we can 'hide' them for you if necessary, rather than leaving a link to a significantly different, gutted & useless, or empty post!

So really, if you want to 'place-hold', you should simply 'Subscribe' to the thread (see the drop down list under thread tools, which is up in the middle/top of the first post on any page of a thread ) rather than putting in a post that you intend to edit later - that way you'll always be able to get back to the thread and more!! Of course, if you have posted a valid response, then you can always search on the Find Forum Posts link in your Profile, but by subscribing & ensuring your email address is valid & working, you can also choose to set your Profile to Notify you of any new posts in any subscribed threads or not, or you can get notified via PM, or not - and you can also change your mind about any subscription you might have later on, cos you can always remove the thread from your 'Subscribed' list at any time!

So you're better off Subscribing to a thread than just posting 'place-holding' posts &/or posts you intend on editing later; please don't significantly edit, empty, or gut any posts you've already made, just ask a Moderator instead; and set your Profile up so you can use your Subscribed list to your advantage! Make sense?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-26-2021 at 08:37 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I migrated from a 2012 Yamaha Venture (850 lb) to a 2020 RT Limited last April. I spent 29 years inCanada’s infantry before retiring at age 60. Essentially I have no knees left. My legs have thanked me every ride since. The comfort, the ability to flex my legs and change positions on those huge floorboards, and being able to stop without wondering “will my knees hold it up this time?” have all made the change magical.

There is a learning curve in the transition. For me it mostly consisted of learning not to counter-steer, and learning to relax into the ride.

After 1000km or so that resolved itself. My only regret is that I didn’t make the change a couple years sooner.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Drwerner View Post
    Background - long term 2-wheel rider (most recently BMW GSs, Triumphs, Hondas) - who has a bad knee after 5 surgeries (4 unnecessary if the first one had worked). Sigh. But that is the case and I am where I am. I am 6'2", 240 (post Covid) lbs, and can only bend my left knee 70 degrees or so comfortably - so I need to stretch out a bit. If I want to continue to ride I need a DCT or automatic and the stability of a 3-wheeler. I ride 70% 2-up with my wife who loves to ride. I sat on a '21 Spider Limited and it worked.

Questions:

How many of you have migrated from a 2-wheeler? Yes, but have kept my retirement project, an '85 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition - enjoy riding it and so does the Mrs
    What was the transition like (in terms of ease and time to get comfortable)?Transition didn't take long, riding the Spyder is very similar to snowmobiling. I used to ride an Arctic Cat 700 EFI Pantera. It was a handful when playing with my friends who had single person sleds. Principles are the same going into a corner. Brace the appropriate leg for the turn, left turn - left leg, similar for a right turn, hug the plastic. This stabilizes the upper body. There is an optimal entry into the corner as well, do this right and it minimizes the outward roll, miss this and you will do a bit of work to get round - takes time to get this right, same on a two wheel. One other issue, as with a snowmobile, upgrade the suspension to allow for better handling, heavier sway bar - change is substantial. Ride a Spyder such as the RT LE without one, then ride one with a heavier sway bar installed - you will notice a difference.
    How does the experience change?I like to tour and have an enjoyable ride, not into corner carving, but can when needed. Other than the cornering change, not much difference from riding a Goldwing. Enjoy not having to put my foot down at a stop, and forgetting to be in the right gear when starting from a stop, happens.
    Do you miss the lean and 2-wheels?Have my '85 Goldwing to take car of this issue. It weighs in at some 820 pounds but feels lighter.

Thanks so much,

David
    Had been looking at and researching the Can-Am Spyder for the past year or so. Coming up to my 67th birthday and figured that when I hit 70/71 it would be a good time to go the way of the trike. Didn't like the conversion kits because you still have an older motorcycle with the same limitations, and I remember the three wheel ATV Honda bikes. A very good deal came up for a 2014 Spyder RT LE that I couldn't pass up and it is now in the garage, the Goldwing 1500 has gone to a good home. Still have good health, no joint issues and want to keep it that way.

Other considerations were towing. The Spyder is the only "motorcycle" out there that is designed to tow a trailer - 400 pound towing capacity. Two wheel bikes do, but everything towing is aftermarket, not OEM, and the OEMs do not recommend towing. Two wheel bikes are not even if a trike conversion is installed. No issues or debates on car tires. GVW is respectable, approximately Spyder weight plus approximately 450 pounds for rider/pillion/gear. Like the electronics such as changing from KPH to MPH.

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-26-2021 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display/color iss
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

I started riding two wheelers in the mid 60's. Have owned a few of each flavor of riceburners. Never owned HD, BMW, or Italian.

Bought my first Spyder when they came out in 2008. Have owned seven since then. Also owned two wheels until this year.

The transition from two to Spyder was a bit difficult for me. I was not comfortable until about 1500 miles. Some may call me a slow learner. My first was a SM5 (manual tranny), all the rest have been SE (Semi-auto). Most would say that I am a big rah rah person when it comes to Spyder...but when I find issues...I tell it like it is.

Do I miss two wheels...not much. I have almost 200K on spyders alone. Nuff said.

Will the Spyder work for you? Do a test drive of the RT and F3...there is a difference there. Different strokes, for different folks. You will find the one you like best.

Here is a helpful good read:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-26-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Rode 2 wheels for 30 years. My wife hated my last one. Kids came along and she didn’t ride with me anymore for 12 years. In 2016 she saw a beautiful Blue RTL while on a trip and said go buy it. In 2017 I bought our first spyder. I was and still am a major snowmobile and 4 wheeler rider and it took about 100 miles to get the feeling. My wife loves riding with me again. I’m about 70 percent 2up now. She’ll never throw her legs over a 2 wheeler again with me.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I’ve ridden two wheel motorcycles off and on for 50 years. I got my Spyder RTL a month and a half ago and have put 1450 miles on it so far. The steering sensation/issue will improve within 50 miles and be almost a thing of the past by 200 miles.

The other sensations not many mention are that of falling off the high side in turns and curves and the feeling the bike itself is going to tip over when you’re riding a crowned road or a road that has an overall slant and you are traveling in a direction that has you on the downhill side of the road. When you need to steer uphill to center yourself in the lane the sensation of it tipping over was pretty huge for me. Add negotiating a curve that turns into the hill while on the downhill side of a slanted road...oh boy!!

With 1400+ miles under my belt now the falling off and tipping over feelings have gone 85% away for me but not 100% yet. To counteract those sensations I would lean into the turn with my upper body. Then I took my wife for an all day ride and I’m leaning into those curves and she’s pretty much sitting straight up, LOL! She later said something about how much I was leaning, it was that ride that I fully realized it is much more of a sensation only than a reality. Since then I have learned if I make sure to press my inside leg onto the side of the bike, like squeezing the tank with only one leg that does as much for me as over exaggerating the upper body lean.

I will say I am absolutely loving the bike as much as any two wheeled street bike I’ve ever owned, maybe more! The only thing I miss is not being able to explore those dirt and gravel roads that I come across during my rides. I may have to scratch that itch with a small dual sport as I just cannot handle the weight of a heavy adventure bike anymore.

Spyder Garage

Myself and Fiancee just took a BRP sponsored riding course. It was called...Balance Dynamics Motorcycle Training Center INC. Walton Ky. Drove 4 1/2 hrs from East Central Ohio to take the 2 Day" INTENSE.".. Course.. 2 Instructors... 5 Can Am Spyders provided. 10 students per class. broken into 2 teams, each taking turns on the structured course layouts..THE BEST THING I could have ever done for myself to learn how to ride the RIGHT WAY on a Spyder. Its A Lot diff than 2 wheel. I'm 72 and my ankles and knees aren't getting any stronger ,fractures and operations don't help the cause either. I can tell you this, It was .... Great Training Experience!!!

Spyder Garage

I just took the 3 Wheeled Basics Course weekend before last. It’s primary purpose was to get you licensed. It was very basic. I was the only one out of a class of 9 that had any experience on two wheels or three. It was a very good course for abject beginners but not much good for an experienced two wheel rider and a small amount of experience on 3.

I wish there was an advanced class, I’d be in for that.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I wish there was an advanced class, I’d be in for that.
    GWRRA offers a good trike course. I took it at Wing Ding in 2016. Win Ding 2021 will be at Springfield, MO. Maybe you can get in on it there.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    GWRRA offers a good trike course. I took it at Wing Ding in 2016. Win Ding 2021 will be at Springfield, MO. Maybe you can get in on it there.
    Hey thanks for the info, I’ll check into it. Springfield isn’t to far and would be a nice trip.

Spyder Garage

I have about 350 miles on my 21RT and up until I read this post I was convinced I was going to sell it/trade it. Still not completely happy with it. I like to ride in the mountains and carve up the roads pretty aggressively. So Im hitting it pretty hard and pretty sure the stability control is kicking in because 1/2 way through some of the curves the throttle gets "nerfed" and it feels like the back tire folds over or something and I can feel/hear light scrubbing. Maybe the brakes come on a little? idk. I got off and checked and every seems solid. But anyway pushing to the limit and I check my mirrors and theres a Jeep wrangler and a ford escort casually driving behind me/waiting for me to get outa tha way. Dang. It aint no sport bike. It is a big heavy machine. It is very comfortable to sit on and my wife is completely comfortable in the back seat (after installing the LinQ backrest). My first thought driving it home was maybe I should go back and ask if they checked the alignment on it. At 70 mph Im scared if I sneeze everything will fly to H***. Went out on it again yesterday for a casual ride after seeing this post and feel a little better about it now. Im feeling pretty strongly like if I do keep it, MUST have some suspension upgrades in the front. Shocks and/or swaybar. I need to research some on that. (fyi my wife and I together are probly around 450+lbs). The front end feels very squishy to me and there is alot of roll. The rear air suspension leaks from day 1. Pumped it up to 80lbs for a 2up ride came home and parked it, a few days later was going out by myself so I was going to deflate it some. Checked it and it was down to 40lbs. So have to get that fixed.
    Also, the tach doesnt show where the redline is. at 70mph its turning around 3600rpm. is that ok for extended trips? Its supposed to be for touring so I can jump on the expressway for a long trip and not worry about blowing something up?

Spyder Garage

Valiant, at 350 miles you're just getting started with you're new Spyder; give it and yourself plenty of time/miles to get accustomed to how it handles. Two up you've a shade over 100 lb cushion on gross vehicle load, pg 147 of Op Guide, and as you stated, the air bag leak needs fixing. Nanny IS saving your bacon, and mine, as it 's designed to do. Can't comment on suspension upgrades as it's a subjective personal matter but IMO, if the 20/21 MYs don't benefit from a sway bar upgrade Bajaron wouldn't sell 'em. My analog tach shows the redline at about 7,300 and I can assure you that you can cruise all day at 80-85 with no real strain on the 1330 ACE engine; it's a very reliable powerplant. Of course your gas mileage will go into the crapper because your aerodynamics, while better than mine, are still like pushing a barn door into the wind.

FWIW, a few years ago at the Deadwood 3-Wheeler Rally a BYP guy told several of us that unless you're a professional high speed driver, the RT back then was more capable than any civilian rider could push it and I have to believe it's even better now.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Valiant, Make sure to check the air in the tires, too much air will make it feel a little squirrely.

Also a lot of people do not even change gears till 3600 to 4000 rpm so I wouldn't worry about redlining it. I normally do not get into 6th gear till around 60 mph myself. Of course others have their own opinion on these things.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Valiant, at 350 miles you're just getting started with you're new Spyder; give it and yourself plenty of time/miles to get accustomed to how it handles. Two up you've a shade over 100 lb cushion on gross vehicle load, pg 147 of Op Guide, and as you stated, the air bag leak needs fixing. Nanny IS saving your bacon, and mine, as it 's designed to do. Can't comment on suspension upgrades as it's a subjective personal matter but IMO, if the 20/21 MYs don't benefit from a sway bar upgrade Bajaron wouldn't sell 'em. My analog tach shows the redline at about 7,300 and I can assure you that you can cruise all day at 80-85 with no real strain on the 1330 ACE engine; it's a very reliable powerplant. Of course your gas mileage will go into the crapper because your aerodynamics, while better than mine, are still like pushing a barn door into the wind.

FWIW, a few years ago at the Deadwood 3-Wheeler Rally a BYP guy told several of us that unless you're a professional high speed driver, the RT back then was more capable than any civilian rider could push it and I have to believe it's even better now.
    .... I'm 74 now but " in the twistie's " I ride like I stole it .... and unless the " two wheel rider " is quite proficient, I can keep up with them without getting nervous .... once you " master " your Spyder you will be surprised at well it can handle .... I suggest you consider getting BajaRon's sway bar..... it's the most important suspension accessory to get ..... new shocks / springs usually cause the ride to suffer when in Normal riding mode ...imho it's not worth the trade-off ..... good luck .... Mike