Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I bought my F3L in February of '19 as a new leftover. I have 6K+ miles on it now and I am glad I took Bajaron's advice. He said to give myself time to learn to ride the Spyder well, then do the upgrades. At 4K miles, I took off the crappy Front Kendas and installed Federals. Wow, what an improvement in every tire parameter! After another 1K miles, I installed his swaybar and another wow in improvement.
    Doing it Ron's way, lets you know just what each improvement does. I'm glad I listened to him instead of doing those upgrades all at once.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Drwerner View Post

Questions:

How many of you have migrated from a 2-wheeler?
    YES...though I still have and ride my Virago, so only a partial migration.
    I keep it in part because I am a BRC coach, so like to maintain the skillset.
    AND...it gives me something to ride while my wife continues to gain confidence riding the Spyder.

What was the transition like (in terms of ease and time to get comfortable)?
    For me, about 3 months, 500 miles...I also took the 3-wheel class, on my own of course.

How does the experience change?
    The transition from leaning the bike to just leaning the body...but I still get the wind in my face and breeze on my knees.

Do you miss the lean and 2-wheels?
    Yes and no...unrelated to still having my Virago, I do miss the lean and sometimes find steering the Spyder a little tiring, but I knew my 2-wheel capabilities were slowly deteriorating, so the trade-off was 100% worth it for me.

David
    Good luck with your new ryde, whichever way you go!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I just took the 3 Wheeled Basics Course weekend before last. It’s primary purpose was to get you licensed. It was very basic. I was the only one out of a class of 9 that had any experience on two wheels or three. It was a very good course for abject beginners but not much good for an experienced two wheel rider and a small amount of experience on 3.

I wish there was an advanced class, I’d be in for that.
    I give those .... if you ever come to Vermont PM me and let the fun begin ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Another migrant from two wheels

New member, my first post.
    I have ridden motorcycles for 49 years here in Australia. I thought I had several years of riding left, until in February I had my second major crash in just over two years, this one on my 2016 Triumph Speed Triple R. I have been intrigued by the Spyders for several years. During my enforced leisure I have read just about everything I can find about them.

I fully realise that the Spyder is not like a motorcycle although I have never ridden one. I will keep my R1200S just in case, but I (and especially my wife) anticipate that most of my riding henceforth will be on 3 wheels.
    Fortunately I just have a few broken bones. When I can walk again I'll be looking at a 2017 F3-S SE6. I like the idea of the sport mode introduced that year. Apparently sport mode turns off traction control. Is the TCS intrusive enough that I should care about this? I don't need to do rear wheel power slides. If not, a 2015 or 2016 would be OK too. I like the orange 2015 colour.

Occasionally a very low mileage Spyder turns up that might be 4 or more years old, with only the first service carried out. This could mean coolant, brake fluid and even engine oil that is much more than two years old. I changed the coolant at 20000km in my 4 year old Triumph last year. The old coolant came out a greyish colour, with all the aluminium in the cooling system looking dull and corroded. That showed me that two years really means two years, at least with the coolant mixture Triumph puts in. However, I saw a Youtube video of the first coolant change in a 5 year old Spyder where the old orange coolant looked just like the new coolant, so perhaps I shouldn't worry. I would still change oil/coolant/brake fluid immediately if there wasn't a recent service history.

I noticed that the exhaust silencer on the Australian Spyders is longer and uglier than the shorter ones on US and EU machines. Also, in one sound comparison on Youtube, the shorter stock muffler with the standard cat sounded just like the Akrapovic with the standard cat. I like that triply sound from the pipe mixed with induction noise (like my Speed Triple), which you don't seem to get with the cat removed, because the exhaust is so much louder. Anyway, part of the plan would be to buy a stock US muffler on Ebay and install it in place of the fugly Australian one. Looks much better, maybe sounds better too, much cheaper than Akrapovic.

I'll need the backrests, screen, panniers to go touring. Looks as if a BahaRon sway bar is a must as well. I can't wait.
    IanB

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum, IanB. There's actually a few of us Aussies here - I'm based in SA, just a bit outside of Adelaide on the way to Melbourne, but with twisty Hills roads on my doorstep & wide open roads just a few minutes away, where are you? After all, Australia IS a pretty big place, & we already have Spyder/Ryker Ryders just about everywhere!

....Apparently sport mode turns off traction control. Is the TCS intrusive enough that I should care about this?..
    That 'Sport Mode' thing doesn't actually 'turn Traction Control' OFF it really just turns it down a bit until you get going fast enough &/or add enough steering input that 'the Nanny' (as the Stability, Safety, & Traction Control systems collectively are affectionately known ) decides you're obviously having too much fun & steps in to calm things down a bit!! I reckon it is definitely an advantage having 'Sport Mode' on an F3, but it isn't impossible or really all that hard to learn the limits the Nanny gets antsy with, and learn to ryde within them - and if you can do that to any real degree, while you might not win every traffic light drag race, you'll certainly be able to win quite a few and there won't be much in the way of anything on 4 OR 2 wheels that'll keep up with you in the tight & twisty stuff with short straights And once you've learned how, NOTHING that I've ever seen/driven will out-brake a Spyder anywhere!! It's only when you get out on the longer straights & open roads where the sheer weight of the dirty great wall of air any Spyder/Ryker hasta push outta the way to go really fast comes into play & the boy racers will be able to really show you a clean pair of heels! But here in Oz, those sorta speeds are 'confiscate your bike AND licence' speeds anyway!!

Still, all Spyders & Rykers run engines that are significantly de-tuned from the factory - the lighter, peppier (& older & 5 speed) V-twins hit the streets with 100-105HP while the 1330's come out with 115HP or there-abouts, yet similar Rotax engines running in other platforms reliably produce 150+HP!! And it just so happens that we have here in Aust one of the best most experienced ECU Tuner of Rotax & CanAm machinery around!! Jase from ECU Xtreme on the Gold Coast can release all that untapped power and more for you, and make your Spyder the machine it should've been from the start - or better!!

Over to you, and once again, Welcome!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter. i updated my profile location to Essendon, Victoria, Australia. Northern suburb of Melbourne.
    I noticed that the V-twins make comparatively large power and redline at 9500rpm. Looks as if a V-twin Spyder would be fun too, but after several Triumphs I have come to love triples.
    I had a Husqvarna TR650 Strada for 3 years and loved its Rotax engine. Did it ever want to rev! Well designed and made (albeit in China).
    One thing I noticed in an animation of the 1330 engine is that it appears to have no balance shaft. The Triumph triples do. Yet the Spyder is said to be very smooth. I'm looking forward to finding out.
    IanB

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have any experience riding ATV's, then Spyders are a piece of Cake from the get-go. Been riding 2 wheeled motorized vehicles since the early 50's, mounted either a Briggs & Stratton or a Clinton reel lawnmower engine on my Schwinn Bicycle. We currently have 2 Polaris Sportsman ATV's that my Wife and I Ride all over the Mountains here. Also have a 2 year old BMW 310GS and a new BMW R1250GS, again that get ridden a lot. I road a new 2010 RT back at a dealer in Texas in 2010 and really enjoyed it, remember I've been riding ATV's since 1980 or so along with all my motorcycles. BTW, I'm 78 years old and am looking to try out a late model or new F3 and a RT. My legs are starting to get a bit......er.....tired. The problem here in New Mexico is the apparent lack of quality dealers with any inventory to look-see much less try out.

Still Looking............
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

At 63, about to retire I have become disabled,so had to sell my Vulcan 900 ..I am.about to buy an RT LTD and couldn't be happier to be back on the road

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by D28Martin View Post
    At 63, about to retire I have become disabled,so had to sell my Vulcan 900 ..I am.about to buy an RT LTD and couldn't be happier to be back on the road
    I see we have a couple things in common. I have a Vulcan 900 for sale and I own a D28Martin. One of my favorite guitars.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just returned to the Spyder. I grew up on two wheels and loved it. Like yours, my wife loves to ride and we are 2 up 90% of the time. I first bought a 2015 RT limited in 2017. We had a great time together on it. I still missed the two wheel experience, especially when I was riding alone. I talked my wife into switching back to a Ultra Limited in 2020. It was fun but it was not the same as riding 2 up on the Spyder. That expensive itch didn’t last a year. I sold the Harley late last year. Just yesterday I brought home a 2020 RT Limited. We took our first ride on it last night and it was GREAT to be back on the stable platform that the Spyder offers. It is a pure joy to ride....especially 2 up. We have tried every trike we could find and she says the RT Limited is the most comfortable ride for her by far. It is much better for me, too. Now, I might consider a smaller used cruiser to scratch the 2 wheel itch, like perhaps a Vulcan, but not for 2 up riding. For that, I’m pretty sure the Spyder will happily be the final answer.

How many of you have migrated from a 2-wheeler? I (we) did

What was the transition like (in terms of ease and time to get comfortable)? It took some time, especially on the winding mountain roads. However, I still lean big time on those with the Spyder.

How does the experience change? There is nothing like riding in the open air on a motorcycle. That is just as great on the Spyder. You loose the lean but you gain significant stability, comfort, and a great new experience.

Do you miss the lean and 2-wheels? I did and I will. For me, however, the pluses of the Spyder far outweigh the urge to lean. After my expensive reversion back to 2 wheels last year....I am finally 100% sold on the fun and stability of the RT Limited as 2 up platform.
    C1D2DE5E-2946-4379-9A81-F1A53CEB667B.jpg
    2020 RT Limited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDriver View Post
    I just returned to the Spyder. I grew up on two wheels and loved it. Like yours, my wife loves to ride and we are 2 up 90% of the time. I first bought a 2015 RT limited in 2017. We had a great time together on it. I still missed the two wheel experience, especially when I was riding alone.
    It's great to read an objective discussion of "been there, came here, went back, and came back" experience. I appreciate the fact that you don't bash either option, but that in fact even though there are real differences between the two they both are equals in many ways.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Further to my post #14, the Mrs likes to ride with me and likes the Spyder. She also likes my '85 Goldwing Limited Edition for round town and touring - keeping this Goldwing for the duration, my retirement ongoing project, but think the Spyder will be the touring bike of choice for two up and pulling a trailer - have an N-Line single wheel model, see attachment. The Mrs likes the aspect of my not having to put my foot down to support the bike, not only when riding solo, but when riding two up and when the trailer is connected.

We test road my friends 2018 F3 Limited before I bought the 2014 RT LE, mostly to confirm she liked the ride - a no vote on her part would have squashed any purchase of a Spyder. She mentioned that she liked the ride and could tour on it. She mentioned to her brother who is actively looking for a Spyder, he's the same age as I, that she would have no issue touring/riding on it across Canada and back - the Spyder had to be as comfortable a ride as my '85 Goldwing and '95 Goldwing that I just sold. The RT LE is much more plush and gives a great ride like the Goldwing. The F3 is a bit more sporty, firmer suspension. If she had mentioned this to me might be riding the F3 instead, different seat, passenger arm rests and go.

Was out yesterday and stopped at a local coffee shop. First table I went by asked about my Spyder, good discussion, but his Mrs said it wasn't going to happen, that's fair. Had another gentleman who works for the town ask me about it. We had a good chat, went over a few details with him. Seems there is a lot of interest in these Spyders, and having some 2K Kms on mine in the past four weeks, I understand why.

Have been browsing the web sites for used Spyders, F3 and the RT models. Not a lot of used inventory here on Vancouver Island and in British Columbia. Almost have to know someone who knows someone and get in line before the for sale sign goes up.

Lots of two wheel conversions out there as well. If you found one that you liked, and it was a comfortable ride that met your expectations, I'd say go for it as well.

A small comparison between the F3 and the RT Limited.

Foot placement - the F3 has your legs forward. I'm 6'2" and will be installing a heated comfort seat to move my seating back an additional 2", better for the legs and easier for the brake pedal. Lots of room for the Mrs as well. Might have to do this on an F3 as well.

Recommend the install of the beefier sway bar. Test road for a new 2020 RT LE for a few hours and it rolled a lot in the corners. My 2014 RT LE with BajaRon's sway bar and links is considerably better. Have thought of a front shock upgrade, but will put a few more Kms on the Spyder before I decide. An upgraded sway bar for the F3 is a recommendation as well.

I like the electric adjustable windscreen on the RT LE. The F3 is a fixed windscreen.

The RT LE has a better cockpit wind envelope that the F3, something similar to the Goldwing. Haven't rode my RT LE in the rain, but hope it will be similar to the Goldwing in that as long as you are moving on a Goldwing you don't get wet, a little maybe, but primarily when you stop.

If you are going to do your own maintenance, now or in the future, there is slightly less "plastic" to deal with on the F3. Definitely get floorboards installed on the F3, believe the RT LE has them already installed.

Passenger arm rests may be needed on either, first item I installed on my Spyder for the MRS, no discussion was had.

The F3 rear trunk can accommodate 2 Shoei modular helmets, tried this on my friends F3. My 2014 RT LE right rear saddlebag can accommodate one and the other has to go in the front trunk. A bit of a nuisance, but not a show stopper.

The adjustable rear suspension on the RT LE is nice, can be made firmer or softer depending on preference, and it adjusts to the load automatically. Don't know exactly what the F3 can do or has installed.

A few more thoughts on your query. Good luck on your decision. I'm glad I moved to the Spyder sooner than expected.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest