Spyder Garage

Default Rt 2017 Headlight Replacement issue ?? (Connectors)

Hello All,
    sorry to bother just got a burned headlight so purchased 2 x 9005 Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb replacement and installed them on my RT 2017 but someone on facebook told me that I will end up with connectors melting down because I have not replace with the same as original??

On the old bulb it show 9005 60w and on the new it is 65w but on the Sylvania catalog it is mentioned that it fits so my question is any of you have encountered this kind of issues?? Should I uninstalled them and go back with original ones?

Thanks so much

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Youppi99 View Post
    Hello All,
    sorry to bother just got a burned headlight so purchased 2 x 9005 Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb replacement and installed them on my RT 2017 but someone on facebook told me that I will end up with connectors melting down because I have not replace with the same as original??

On the old bulb it show 9005 60w and on the new it is 65w but on the Sylvania catalog it is mentioned that it fits so my question is any of you have encountered this kind of issues?? Should I uninstalled them and go back with original ones?

Thanks so much
    " Melting down " .... imho I don't think that will happen .... In trying for better brighter headlights on my 14 RT I replaced the halogens with 100 watt bulbs ..... they were brighter and nothing happened .... I then swapped them out for LED's ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The wattage only tells you how much current the bulb uses, not the brightness - that's lumens. As long as you are tearing into that area, why not go with LEDs? Check out the lumens and wattage on these. A lot of light from so few watts.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks but since we are not riding so much after sun goes down I do not see the benifits of the investment for us.
    Regards and Thanks

Spyder Garage

Thanks! that is what I think also se I have not find any post about this and if this happening a lot well quite sure a few posts will be online. Probably the othe guy did not go with a good brand name or something else happened.

Best regards!

Spyder Garage

I have seen some instances mostly on older bikes where folks would replace they 55/60 watt bulbs with 60/100 watts or something similar and then have a problem with the connectors getting too hot from the high watt bulbs. I don't think your difference of 5 watts is going to be a problem. I've used those bulbs a few times and never had an issue.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks but since we are not riding so much after sun goes down I do not see the benifits of the investment for us.
    Regards and Thanks
    I hardly ride at night too, but I like the LEDs for their "can you see me now" effect. Almost 80% of MC crashes are from the front. "But officer, I didn't see him." My life is worth a pair of LEDs.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Regards and Thanks
    My experience is LED headlamps are much more visible to oncoming traffic and illuminate traffic signs much better than the other options. On the flip side I don't think I see the road better after dark.
    As far as melting wires, ive seen bulb plugs melted with 100 watt bulbs. Buyer beware.

Spyder Garage

I agree strongly with Hoginedgewood regarding visibility whether or not you ride after sunset. Moreover, you will find LEDs last much longer than halogens. Third, if a halogen bulb burns out and you don't replace both headlights at the same time you're making more work for yourself as the second one will go soon after the first.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Youppi99, the 9005 bulb is the same configuration as the HB3. The parts list for the 2014 RT lists the headlight bulb as HB3 65 Watt. I see no reason the part would be any different for the 2017. You should have no problem using the 65 watt Sylvania.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

This happened to my '14 RT-S. My contacts melted and I replaced them with connectors from a 94 Dodge in Pete Millers junkyard. Those melted too. I found still a third set and those lasted. But now I'm blowing bulbs every week. But on this forum somebody wrote in about Tricled Led headlights. My question is, why did you put in Silverstars in the first place. Led headlights are the best . I've had zero issues with them, and they're so bright!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    My question is, why did you put in Silverstars in the first place.
    $$ See post #4.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

One of my first mods was the Tric-led 360's for day time visibility, and I run on high beam all the time.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Visibility

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    One of my first mods was the Tri-led 360's for day time visibility, and I run on high beam all the time.

. +1

Tric-led 360+ LED fogs with 3000 lumens (ea) driving lights switched with the fogs. Quite visible in the day time. This set up turns night into day. I never want to hear " Honest officer, I didn't see him"

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I never want to hear " Honest officer, I didn't see him"
    Unfortunately with a steady headlight on the bike it is quite possible someone may not see you. The brain focuses its attention on moving objects and will often discard stationary objects from processing. A motorcycle coming directly toward a cage driver may in fact appear to be stationary so the brain discards that part of the image. That is why headlight modulators are a good safety device. The modulating light presents motion to the vision processing center of the brain. Remember the eyes do not see. They collect image data and send it to the brain for it to create the image we see. The other thing about vision is when you turn your head the brain processes images like an old fashioned film movie, i.e., individual static images. When one is turning his head fast enough the images the brain receives will have blank areas between them. If an object is narrow enough it very well may fit into the blank image section and thus not be seen by the brain.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I had both headlights go out. Not sure if it happened at the same time. Thankful I have fog lights on my RT-S to get me home. I probably didn't notice it because I ride mostly in the daytime. I replaced the headlights and fog lights with LED's from Lamonster Garage. All I can say is WOW!!! What a difference!!! I can see & be seen! Well worth the extra money and knowing that I'll probably never have to replace them again. I highly recommend them.
    2014 RT-S , Circuit Yellow Metallic

Spyder Garage

I had headlight modulators on every bike - from when they first came out and were illegal. Being concerned about the Spyder's fussy electronics, I have not gone that route. Instead, as I am approaching an intersection, I zig-zag a bit to get attention.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I had headlight modulators on every bike - from when they first came out and were illegal. Being concerned about the Spyder's fussy electronics, I have not gone that route. Instead, as I am approaching an intersection, I zig-zag a bit to get attention.
    The headlight wiring does not interface with CANbus. I haven't any issue with the modulator on both the 2013 RT I had and the 2014 RT I now have. One was with halogen bulbs and the current one is with LED bulbs. You do need to use an LED specific modulator like the one from Kisan.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

You do need to use an LED specific modulator like the one from Kisan.
    Kisan was the only brand I used. Thanks for that info, I may install a modulator after all. In the past, I cut off the photocell and substituted it with a switch, so I had the option of using/not using it and using it at night. It worked wonderfully at getting left lane bandits to move over.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    You do need to use an LED specific modulator like the one from Kisan.
    Kisan was the only brand I used. Thanks for that info, I may install a modulator after all. In the past, I cut off the photocell and substituted it with a switch, so I had the option of using/not using it and using it at night. It worked wonderfully at getting left lane bandits to move over.
    Just don't let the cops see you using the modulator at night. You might regret it!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Just don't let the cops see you using the modulator at night. You might regret it!
    No worries. Our police force is disappearing and those that are left are both underfunded and distracted by shooters and rioters. I haven't seen a traffic cop in ages. The city now relies of traffic cameras. I use the modulator very sparingly at night.