Spyder Garage

Default 2009 spyder rs catalyst and exhaust.

Hi ya'll. I'm new here and a first time spyder owner. Just love my spyder and ride it as often as the weather here in norway allows me to. I do however want to upgrade the sound the engine makes. Wish it had a more beefy bark like a big V twin should. Could any one confirm for me that the catalyst is in the stock muffler? If so I believe just changing the muffler to an after market one with out the catalyst in there would do the trick. Seen a lot of people here talking about the cat delete pipe. Is that only necessary on the rt and newer models?
    Any help is very much appreciated.
    Have a good weekend everyone!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Canamandy View Post
    Hi ya'll. I'm new here and a first time spyder owner. Just love my spyder and ride it as often as the weather here in norway allows me to. I do however want to upgrade the sound the engine makes. Wish it had a more beefy bark like a big V twin should. Could any one confirm for me that the catalyst is in the stock muffler? If so I believe just changing the muffler to an after market one with out the catalyst in there would do the trick. Seen a lot of people here talking about the cat delete pipe. Is that only necessary on the rt and newer models?
    Any help is very much appreciated.
    Have a good weekend everyone!
    The " catalyst " ie. Cat .... is separate from the muffler, and the " cat delete " will change the sound ( more mellow but not really loud )..... I did the cat-delete with the " baffle " on my 14 RT and like the sound.... Unless you can hear a sound clip for the after-market muffler ... it will be a lot of money that you might regret..... every after market muffler that I have heard is 2 to 3 times as loud as OEM. ... there WON'T be any improvement in power output., only sound and weight re-duction via the cat delete ...... Mike ....also

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, it really helps. I'm not after more power, just a nicer sound. My stock set up sounds nice on tick over. As soon as I give a little gas it sounds like a little car.
    I saw some one else mention on a thread here some where that the RT and the spyders after 2013 have a cat b4 the muffler, but the pre 2013's spyder rs has the cat in the muffler. Would be an easy fix if that was true.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, it really helps. I'm not after more power, just a nicer sound. My stock set up sounds nice on tick over. As soon as I give a little gas it sounds like a little car.
    I saw some one else mention on a thread here some where that the RT and the spyders after 2013 have a cat b4 the muffler, but the pre 2013's Spyder RS has the cat in the muffler. Would be an easy fix if that was true.
    I believe that IS the case!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

In the 2008-2009 GS models, the catalytic converter is located within the muffler. Later models moved the cat to a separate component. Get rid of the muffler on your 2009, and you'll get rid of both items. That muffler is very heavy. I went through a good number of exhausts. Lamont went through more than I did. My favorite of all, (and still is) is my Yoshimura slip-on. It sounds very mean at WOT. But at cruse and normal riding, very nice sound. Not raspy, not obnoxious loud, and it never drones. Plus, other mufflers I had blew out after a relatively short time. The 998 is very hard on exhaust systems. Get a cheap muffler and you may find a hole in it. The Yoshimura is rebuildable. I rebuilt mine at about about 25k. But when I got in there, I was surprised that it really didn't need it. The packing was still in pretty good condition. Not bad for that kind of miles on a muffler.

Of course I think it looks good. But that is a subjective opinion.

This is the one I settled on (oval version). I run it with the optional restrictor. The 998 runs better with just a bit of restriction.
    Yoshimura1.jpg

I also like and considered this triangular model. Pretty much the same functionally, just a different look. Both models come in Carbon Fiber and Stainless.
    Yoshimura2.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-24-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tip bajaRon. I'll see where I can get a yoshimura from.

Spyder Garage

I found a yoshimura r-77, is it the same exhaust???

Spyder Garage

I found a yoshimura r-77, is it the same exhaust???
    Similar, but not the same. This is a shorter pipe.
    R-77 Product Dimensions 18.7" long x 5.1" wide.

The RS-3 Oval Yoshimura I am running is longer. I can't seem to find actual dimensions. The numbers I am getting must include some piping or maybe the packaged size, because they are too big.

The triangle version I mentioned is the TRS model. This too is a longer muffler than the R-77. Again numbers are too bit and must include more than just the muffler. I will measure my RS-3 on Monday and let you know. I think the longer pipe gives you a better sound. Short may look cool. But it will be loud and probably raspy. The exit is much closer to your ear as well. Not what I was looking for.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'll take your recommendation and ask my bike shop for a RS3 when they open again. Everything here is still on lock down. Hopefully in a few weeks I can ask them to order me one.