Spyder Garage

Default Background and a few questions

Hi there, Just joined this site and think it might be a help in deciding on purchasing a new Spyder. I am not very familiar with all the models and hope to learn more. A little history: I started riding at 16 on a Honda 50. Then in my 20's bought my first real bike, a 68 Triumph 500 T100c which I still have. Just recently had it restored to its former glory and it will probably be with me forever. Next, I got a 750 Yamaha to which I added a sidecar to take my daughter along. I then purchased a Yamaha Venture Roal Star. It's a very heavy bike and living on a gravel road I had visions of not being able to hold it up, so I added a Trike kit conversion. It's very stable and runs great, however, it is a killer on the shoulders on extended rides in the mountains. Disclosure, I'm in my 70's and like my user name says, "hate2giveitup, so after looking at alternatives like the Slingshot, I am now thinking that a Spyder might extend my fondness for bikes a few more years. Here's hoping, and looking forward to the next adventure. Any opinions and suggestions on a Spyder being a good fit are welcome, and thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

This is just my opinion

RT = Like sitting in an office chair, comfortable, plenty of options. feet straight down with bended knee (sitting on top of the bike)

F-3 = A little more comfort than a crotch rocket not a lot of options

F-3 T or Limited = like sitting in a recliner, very comfortable, lots of options feet pointed forward with slight bend in knee (sitting in the bike)

Spyders have power steering when needed, goes away when not needed.

you really need to sit on the different models to see which fits you better

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I am in the same boat at 74 yrs. old. I started riding two wheels at 10 yrs. old. Have had 54 motorcycles and 2 Spyders now. We had a 2013 Spyder RS that I liked but even after adapting taller and set back RT handlebars it still caused my neck and shoulder muscles to cramp up. It was a good machine with the electric paddle shift and quite comfortable after I added a comfort seat. My last motorcycle after the RS was a 2008 Kawi ZX 14 crazy beast that was not very comfortable for me although a lot of fun twisting the throttle. My wife would not ride on it. Sooo, last June I sold the ZX 14 after owning it for 1 1/2 yrs. and bought a 2016 Spyder F3 T, which we both absolutely love. Cruzr Joe pretty much summed up the different models and it all depends on the type of riding you want to do and your preference to styling so it is best to at least sit on them all or even better demo ride them. The RT is the ultimate comfort long distance machine hands down. I personally prefer the sportier smaller look of the F3 T and F3 LTD, but that's just who I am. They are certainly comfortable enough for our type of riding. Our current F3 T is a manual shift that I really like and the 262 mile day ride we did with friends last summer didn't phase my neck and shoulders at all. I like all the Spyders and Rykers but owning one is dictated more by what you want to do with it. I will say that owning our F3 T has actually caused me to have no more desire to own a motorcycle. The Spyder will still give you that all important "In the Wind" feeling of mind freeing relaxation that a motorcycle does in a much safer and less worrisome manner than a motorcycle. Just my 2 cents from an experienced "old guy" who loves riding and will continue as long as I am able. Gotta keep those bugs on our teeth ya know.
    2016 F3 T , Fabricated adjustable brake rod Intense Pearl Red

Spyder Garage

Joe above has kind of put it in a nutshell for you. RT is like riding a GoldWing. F3 is like a very nice cruiser. F3L has more amenities but not as many as the RT. Test drive all the versions if you want to see what works best for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Many bikes mostly Harley since the 1950s. It got to the point because of injury I could no longer hold up a two wheeler. Drove a Harley Triglide which was too heavy and too expensive. Love my RT. It’s the most fun I’ve had in a long time, plus I think it’s the only one in town and the cause of many conversations. You can’t go wrong.

Spyder Garage

I second ARtraveler's comment about Joe's synopses. If you haven't yet done so, check and plan to read this link as it has a lot of good information for riders coming from two wheels: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners.

FWIW, I was 74 when I purchased my RT after a long hiatus from motorcycle riding & racing to help my bride raise the progeny. I focused totally on an RT hoping the bride would share the fun of wind therapy but it didn't quite work out; she rides with me occasionally but does not tour. Nevertheless, that does not stop me and I always have her encouragement when I begin planning the next tour.

As far as selecting the Spyder model that suits you best, the only way you're going to do that is test ride every one you possibly get your hands on and do it both solo and two up. Happy wife, etc.

If you search here on SL you will find a goodly number of owners who when they made the switch from two wheels to a Spyder they claimed it was the squirrelliest damn thing they had ever ridden. First, refer to the Do's and Do Nots, and second, DO NOT give a hoot what others say about how many miles it took them to get comfortable piloting a Spyder. RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE and you will eventually get comfortable with whatever Spyder model suits you and your wife/SO best.

Good luck and ride safe!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hate2giveitup View Post
    Hi there, Just joined this site and think it might be a help in deciding on purchasing a new Spyder. I am not very familiar with all the models and hope to learn more. A little history: I started riding at 16 on a Honda 50. Then in my 20's bought my first real bike, a 68 Triumph 500 T100c which I still have. Just recently had it restored to its former glory and it will probably be with me forever. Next, I got a 750 Yamaha to which I added a sidecar to take my daughter along. I then purchased a Yamaha Venture Roal Star. It's a very heavy bike and living on a gravel road I had visions of not being able to hold it up, so I added a Trike kit conversion. It's very stable and runs great, however, it is a killer on the shoulders on extended rides in the mountains. Disclosure, I'm in my 70's and like my user name says, "hate2giveitup, so after looking at alternatives like the Slingshot, I am now thinking that a Spyder might extend my fondness for bikes a few more years. Here's hoping, and looking forward to the next adventure. Any opinions and suggestions on a Spyder being a good fit are welcome, and thanks in advance.
    I had a similar background prior to meeting my first Spyder ( in 09 ) .... before I took it for a test drive - I was told to just drive it like a car ....( I did and traded my 03 Wing after the test drive ) and test the brakes immediately they can surprise you ..... also the Spyder is EASIER to drive with LESS input from you .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

F-3 = A little more comfort than a crotch rocket not a lot of options

F-3 T or Limited = like sitting in a recliner, very comfortable, lots of options feet pointed forward with slight bend in knee (sitting in the bike)

Cruzr Joe
    I'm going to disagree with Cruzr Joe on the F3. The F3/F3-S is not even close to a crotch rocket. The sitting comfort on the F3 is identical to the F3-T & F3 Limited. They have the same seating/backrest options, feet options, and handlebar options for the rider. Seats, foot pegs or boards, and handlebars are all interchangeable between them. The biggest comfort options between them would be in the console/dash and the windshield options.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    I'm going to disagree with Cruzr Joe on the F3. The F3/F3-S is not even close to a crotch rocket. The sitting comfort on the F3 is identical to the F3-T & F3 Limited. They have the same seating/backrest options, feet options, and handlebar options for the rider. Seats, foot pegs or boards, and handlebars are all interchangeable between them. The biggest comfort options between them would be in the console/dash and the windshield options.
    we can agree to disagree, i dont believe the F3 and the F3-Limited sit the same, i have had all 3 as demos. beside the F3 Limited has a completely different seat

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hate2giveitup View Post
    Sounds like the Spyder is just what you are looking for, has power steering (the newer model power steering is better than the older ones). The Spyders do take sometime to get use to when coming off a 2 wheeler, you actually turn the handle bars to turn. I think they are way better than the Slingshot. I tried the slingshot but having to climb in and out way down low I felt almost trapped like a cage, but they are fun when your moving. Nothing like being on a bike and getting some air, wind therapy. The view form a Spyder is much better than the SS. Good Luck Shopping, looking for your next Ride. Live to Ride, Ride to Live
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. Forgive me if this is a repeat. Tried to send earlier but don’t know if it worked. I’m a newbie not only to Spyders but to how the site works, so thanks to all once again.