Spyder Garage

Default Keeping the Bugs Out of Your F3 Radiators

Hi all,

There are several threads on the subject with several solutions. Namely using residential air conditioning filter material to keep the bugs out of the radiators. I came up with a similar solution using landscaping fabric and it works great and looks a little cleaner. Thought I'd share.

You can view a how-to video here: https://youtu.be/cAb2eBKJpqI

20210418_123913 - Copy.jpg20210418_123919.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderpunk View Post
    Hi all,

There are several threads on the subject with several solutions. Namely using residential air conditioning filter material to keep the bugs out of the radiators. I came up with a similar solution using landscaping fabric and it works great and looks a little cleaner. Thought I'd share.

You can view a how-to video here: https://youtu.be/cAb2eBKJpqI

20210418_123913 - Copy.jpg20210418_123919.jpg
    hi there,so i didnt watch the video i just saw the first screen shot so i may have missed something .but based on that shot i would be concerned with the amount of air flow reduction going into the front area.if your riding ambient temp is cool you may get away with it but i would like to see something with bigger air flow.i dont want to jump over your job,just saying.

Spyder Garage

I rode the bike yesterday in 80 degree weather for 125 miles or so. No issues so far. We'll see how things fare in July/August. But, if you were to watch the video, you'd see how transparent and permeable the material is.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the vid and post. I'm interested in how it holds up to hotter weather as well. I get some very humid and hot days here in the summer months, which based on your location, you see a lot of the same.
    2021 F3-S Special , Gravity Grey

Spyder Garage

I wonder if making some holes in the bottom between the radiators would let bug free air in from the bottom?
    That along with what you have going there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderpunk View Post
    ..., if you were to watch the video, you'd see how transparent and permeable the material is.
    I'll confess to not watching the video, but your comment brings to mind the fact that the expanded metal mesh that you see on the tailgates of so many trailers becomes a virtually solid wall at speeds over about 30 mph. If you were to put your landscape fabric in a tunnel and actually subject it to a 70 mph 'breeze', you might find it to be a bit more restrictive than you think.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

There are bug nets which go over the radiator openings of trucks and cars down here for love bug season. They just fasten on with stretch straps. Wish there was something like that for the F3.

Might could cut one from the universal screen and sew new border on it. They are soft nylon material and don't harm the paint.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I'll confess to not watching the video, but your comment brings to mind the fact that the expanded metal mesh that you see on the tailgates of so many trailers becomes a virtually solid wall at speeds over about 30 mph. If you were to put your landscape fabric in a tunnel and actually subject it to a 70 mph 'breeze', you might find it to be a bit more restrictive than you think.

I think there are a number of things at play here. The grill opening to the F3 is much larger than necessary. Theoretically, all that would be needed would be an opening equal to the surface area of both radiators combined. I don't know what that is, but the radiators appear to be approximately 25%-30% smaller than the total of the grille opening. So, if i've restricted flow to up to approximately 30%, which is very possible with this mod, The system should still be capable of keeping things cool.

That being said, and to your point, positive air pressure is important too. All I can say is this, after runs of 80 MPH for 15 minutes on the backroads, not once did I hear the fans running when I pulled up to a stop sign. I suspect that would indicate that there is sufficient air and pressure to keep things cool during normal/spirited riding. The only time I've heard the fans kick on is when in traffic. They come on for 20-60 seconds and then cut off as they should and don't come back on for another few minutes. That, combined with the temp gauge never going beyond halfway the entire 125 mile ride I recently did tells me I'm well within parameters. I'll be keeping an eye on it as summer approaches. That will be the true test.

Spyder Garage

What part of Louisiana are you in? I’m originally from South West LA.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by supra94t View Post
    What part of Louisiana are you in? I’m originally from South West LA.
    I'm in the South East.

Spyder Garage

Okay folks, so this past Friday the ambient temps got up to 86 degrees and I noticed my fans running after I came to a stop after just having been moving at 55 MPH. With that said, it looks like the landscape fabric is too restrictive. So, yesterday I removed it and replaced it with Polyester Pet Screen from Lowes. This works much better. I didn't hear my fans kick on at all today after 300 miles of riding. With that said, I would NOT recommend the landscape fabric. It sure was good at keeping the bugs from sticking to it though. It was worth shot. You never know unless you try.