Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Needs bigger engine, taller gears

Since the RT is more than 200 lbs heavier than the RS, a larger engine would be in order. The Buell version of the Rotax vee twin proves that it can be stretched to 1125 cc's, and the added power would allow taller gearing than the current 28/79 setup which runs the engine at 4400 rpm at 60 mph, too buzzy for extended highway hauling. "Sedan-like" acceleration in a vehicle in this price range is unacceptable, so taller gearing with the RT's less-powerful mill would not make sense. I'm sure BRP pays attention to the SpyderLovers forums and to Lamonster, but some of their design features and decisions mystify me. The RT has great potential, hope they can sell them in this economy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Denzer View Post
    Since the RT is more than 200 lbs heavier than the RS, a larger engine would be in order. The Buell version of the Rotax vee twin proves that it can be stretched to 1125 cc's, and the added power would allow taller gearing than the current 28/79 setup which runs the engine at 4400 rpm at 60 mph, too buzzy for extended highway hauling. "Sedan-like" acceleration in a vehicle in this price range is unacceptable, so taller gearing with the RT's less-powerful mill would not make sense. I'm sure BRP pays attention to the SpyderLovers forums and to Lamonster, but some of their design features and decisions mystify me. The RT has great potential, hope they can sell them in this economy.

But... I'm betting there is some sort of exclusivity agreement with Buell for that particular engine... at least for an unknown time period.

I still think the 255 HP SeaDoo engine is the way to go.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Someone who already tried the R/T mentioned the RPM's were lower at highway speeds. I'm thinking they changed gear ratios in the transmission.

Spyder Garage

Default and don't forget . . . . . .

. . . . 2 Full Size Marine 12 Volt Batteries, Dual Transmission, 25 Gallon Reserve Gas Tank, HUD, Manual Fuel Injection Override with Nitro Option, Chimes and a Voice for the Nanny, a DTS Acoustically Enhanced Quad Crossover Exhaust System, a Hands-Free GPS/Sonar/Laser Gyroscopic Steering Control, Windshield Wipers & Defroster, Canopy, Hydrofoils, Passenger Widescreen LCD Movie Screen - which doubles as a lunch tray, and tasteful Lightning Arrestors/Curbfinders.
    [All STANDARD in the 3WheelDemon Edition]

You may have to wait until 2011, unless NMN beats them to it.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom in NM; 09-04-2009 at 09:29 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . 2 Full Size Marine 12 Volt Batteries, Dual Transmission, 25 Gallon Reserve Gas Tank, HUD, Manual Fuel Injection Override with Nitro Option, Chimes and a Voice for the Nanny, a DTS Acoustically Enhanced Quad Crossover Exhaust System, a Hands-Free GPS/Sonar/Laser Gyroscopic Steering Control, Windshield Wipers & Defroster, Canopy, Hydrofoils, Passenger Widescreen LCD Movie Screen - which doubles as a lunch tray, and tasteful Lightning Arrestors/Curbfinders.

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Tom
    Pimp my Ride

Spyder Garage

Tom
    You got too much free time, my friend

PS: Pete, forgive these jocksters, I am with you in needing more power.

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

Tom
    Don't forget the hydraulic lift things!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I want my pizza oven! Oh and if you can squeeze in a satellite tv dish like Tat's that'd be awesome.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Over the last 10 years roughly 1 MILLION people have purchased Harley "touring" bikes with 60% of the HP and the roughly the same torque as the RT and the majority of them think they have all the power they need. 100HP and 80TQ is perfectly fine in a touring machine. Cruising at 4500 RPM is also a non issue as long as the motor is properly balanced and isolated.

There will always be those that want more and for them custom bikes are the only solution since main line manufacturers would go broke building something that would only fit the needs of a select few (less than 1% IMHO).

The Buell motor was jointly developed and is produced by Rotax, the design and rights are 100% owned by H-D/Buell. You'll never see it in any other builders' products.

Spyder Garage

Default Helicon

The Buell twin is not the Spyder engine, the V is wider, the balance shafts, crankshaft and other internals won't interchange. Rotax makes engines for CanAm, Buell and BMW, but they're all different. On the other hand, Aprilia uses the same engine as the Spyder and gets lots more power out of it.

john

Spyder Garage

Tom

What about the wings???? I'm alergic to red bull.
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    The Buell twin is not the Spyder engine, the V is wider, the balance shafts, crankshaft and other internals won't interchange. Rotax makes engines for CanAm, Buell and BMW, but they're all different. On the other hand, Aprilia uses the same engine as the Spyder and gets lots more power out of it.

john
    They get more HP but it's in a different place. Also, HP is nothing more than Torque * RPM / 5252 so by virtue of tuning the motor to run higher RPM's they can publish higher HP numbers.

Aprilia RSV 1000R:

• Maximum power at the crank: 105.24 kW (143 HP) at 10,000 rpm.
    • Maximum torque at the crank: 101 Nm (75 lb-ft) at 8,000 rpm

Can-Am Spyder RT:
    • Maximum power at the crank: 71 kW (100 HP) at 7500 rpm.
    • Maximum torque at the crank: 104 Nm (80 lb-ft) at 5500 rpm

In fact, if you look at the power bands you'll see that the Aprilia motor would be an absolute pig in a 900 lb vehicle unless you were pulling more than 6000 RPM all the time.

I don't have the torque curves of either motor but taking a conservative approach and applying a graduated curve to the Aprilia motor I guestimate it's power at the RT's RPMs to be:

• Maximum power at the crank: 102 HP at 7,500 rpm.
    • Maximum torque at the crank: 65 lb-ft at 5,500 rpm

Now, considering the different power bands I suspect the RT motor actually makes about 15% more power than the Aprilia motor in the 3500 - 4500 RPM range, the area you will be riding in 95% of the time.

Spyder Garage

Ar first, I had concerns about the added weight, with a slight decrease in power and only a modest increase in torque. Then I thought about our GS and my BMW RT. Both have more far power than a touring rider needs. I don't think either has ever seen full throttle or the redline. Anything you don't use is wasted. If they made improvements in the aerodynamics, as suspected, the additional horsepower would not be needed to reach good top end speeds, where drag is more costly than weight. One thing we have to remember, this engine is made to run at a higher rpm than many of the touring bikes it is being compared with. It may be anemic at 3,000 rpm, cruising like a Harley or even a Beemer, but it is very comfortable above four grand. I think it would be enough for me, even with a trailer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default POWER

I thought the same thing about the power (to weak) untill I was lucky enough to ryde the RT. The power is there and in the right place for touring- I love power, this RT will not let you down! Everyone needs to ryde it, - at Bikes , Blues, and BBQ we will have twenty or so to ryde.
    Yall come out!!