Spyder Garage

Default Satellite radio on a 2012 RT Limited

I currently have a 2012 RT Limited which I am planning on handing down to my wife for a newer model for us to take on long trips. my questions are:

1. On my 2012 I have always received XM satellite music over the Garmin Zumo 665 GPS, this unit is failing and Garmin no longer makes any version with the satellite music available. This means that I would have to add the BRP satellite receiver. I do already have the Entertainment harness which was installed along with my CB radio. Are there any still available or is ebay for a used one my only option?

2. When did BRP stop offering the satellite music option?

3. As BRP does not appear to offer the satellite music option is/was it still available for any of the older models. Maybe a very good, low mileage used Spyder rather than a new one?

Any input into the thought process is welcome.

Thanks
    2022 Spyder RT Limited , Deep Marsala / Chrome

Spyder Garage

Few people knew this ever existed. Most came standard with the 660. the 660 did not have XM capabilities. I have the 665, "hockey puck" XM receiver and the wiring harness. This works in conjunction with your standard radio controls. Works great. Search previous posts

about this. Too bad Garmin discontinued it. Perhaps a later Garmin that you could "bluetooth" your

c-phone to and acquire the XM app. Cena wireless will bluetooth directly to your phone if you have the XM app on it.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Few people knew this ever existed. Most came standard with the 660. the 660 did not have XM capabilities. I have the 665, "hockey puck" XM receiver and the wiring harness. This works in conjunction with your standard radio controls. Works great. Search previous posts

about this. Too bad Garmin discontinued it. Perhaps a later Garmin that you could "bluetooth" your

c-phone to and acquire the XM app. Cena wireless will bluetooth directly to your phone if you have the XM app on it.

Jack
    I looked into that possibility but as I frequently like to go to some pretty desolate areas, many without cellular service, the streaming function would not work if you don't have service. I have very rarely had an issue with the XM on the Garmin, only the very occasional instance where something blocks the line of site to the satellite that XM uses.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    I swapped out the stock 660 GPS for an existing 665 and have had wonderful music on my ride until very recently. Thanks Jack

Spyder Garage

Ken I would check Ebay to see if anyone had a used one for sale.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kovas View Post
    I currently have a 2012 RT Limited which I am planning on handing down to my wife for a newer model for us to take on long trips. my questions are:

1. On my 2012 I have always received XM satellite music over the Garmin Zumo 665 GPS, this unit is failing and Garmin no longer makes any version with the satellite music available. This means that I would have to add the BRP satellite receiver. I do already have the Entertainment harness which was installed along with my CB radio. Are there any still available or is ebay for a used one my only option?

2. When did BRP stop offering the satellite music option?

3. As BRP does not appear to offer the satellite music option is/was it still available for any of the older models. Maybe a very good, low mileage used Spyder rather than a new one?

Any input into the thought process is welcome.

Thanks
    Don't waste your time and money on an XM receiver.. with the other things you have going on CB and such
    you will be asking for problems.... the easy way for your wife to get Serious XM radio is simply down load the
    APP from the APP Store on to her phone, if you already have XM in your cars it is FREE. it does not use the
    cell towers to receive it uses the satellite to receive the XM signal. and with your phones paired to your headsets
    you will have XM into your helmets.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I looked into that possibility but as I frequently like to go to some pretty desolate areas, many without cellular service, the streaming function would not work if you don't have service. I have very rarely had an issue with the XM on the Garmin, only the very occasional instance where something blocks the line of site to the satellite that XM uses.
    The " line of site " thing isn't really accurate .... When I was up in Canada for the 10th anniversary gathering, I had my XM on and was receiving a good signal even tho we were on a road that was flanked by hugh leafy tree's .... they blocked so much Sun it actually dimmed the light noticeably ..... I have read that the angle of the signal from the Satellite has more to do with reception than anything else. .... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Exactly! I run it through my phone also and I get very good reception. I also have iHeartRadio which gives me many more choices. No headaches no frustration.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Don't waste your time and money on an XM receiver.. with the other things you have going on CB and such
    you will be asking for problems.... the easy way for your wife to get Serious XM radio is simply down load the
    APP from the APP Store on to her phone, if you already have XM in your cars it is FREE. it does not use the
    cell towers to receive it uses the satellite to receive the XM signal. and with your phones paired to your headsets
    Its only available for free if you have the select package or premier package. Also when using the app it does use your phones data. Either wifi or cellular. No phone has a built in satellite radio antenna.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    cell towers to receive it uses the satellite to receive the XM signal.
    and with your phones paired to your headsets
    Motorcycle Dave: When I read your statement about not using cell towers for the app, I thought it was incorrect since a cell phone does not have the equipment needed to connect to the XM satellite network. Using a cell phone or a computer requires either wifi or a data plan to stream XM radio. So I checked this by asking Sirius XM and here is their response:

I would like to inform you that we have both the services with us. As you can login to our streaming account and connect it with any of your smart device However, our radios are connected thru the satellite for the best signal quality

and, I also asked: So you need wifi or a data plan to use the app, correct?

Yes, you need wifi or a cell phone data plan to connect to our services when not using the app or streaming on a computer. A satellite radio will connect to our satellite network, a much better connection.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    Motorcycle Dave: When I read your statement about not using cell towers for the app, I thought it was incorrect since a cell phone does not have the equipment needed to connect to the XM satellite network. Using a cell phone or a computer requires either wifi or a data plan to stream XM radio. So I checked this by asking Sirius XM and here is their response:

I would like to inform you that we have both the services with us. As you can login to our streaming account and connect it with any of your smart device However, our radios are connected thru the satellite for the best signal quality

and, I also asked: So you need wifi or a data plan to use the app, correct?

Yes, you need wifi or a cell phone data plan to connect to our services when not using the app or streaming on a computer. A satellite radio will connect to our satellite network, a much better connection.
    So it follows that if you were in an area with no cellular service, and no wireless wifi, that you would also have no XM satellite music. Granted that only happens occasionally, not a majority of the time. I came across this issue in the Rocky Mountains, In Glacier N.P., no cellular service but my XM radio worked fine except when it was blocked by a cliff side.

Spyder Garage

You could consider putting a XM receiver in the top case. There is power there and a connection to the radio by the aux connector.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The other issue with using a separate receiver for your Spyder is the extra cost. Every receiver must have its own plan you pay for. If you have two cars and a Spyder and you want this for all receivers you then pay for 3 plans. What we did is get the select plan with online. The radio sub is on my wife's car. In my truck and on the bike I stream via the online app on the phone. In the truck its great because of the apple car play. I control via my trucks infotainment system. On they Spyder the interface is done all via the phone which stinks but worth it as it does not cost me more. I do however have unlimited data and that helps. I have yet to be in an area without service. You don't need a lot of bandwidth for it so even on remote slower networks you should be OK.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

On my 665 I pay about $10 a month to get XM, Weather and Traffic. Same as my cars. It is simply an add on to my Sat data Plan. No cell towers necessary. Sirious XM.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I did find a used XM receiver only, removed from a similar Spyder by a salvage outfit. I already have the entertainment harness so what else would I need, besides an antenna, and where could I find installation guidance. I would want to do the work myself.

Spyder Garage

Here are links to the instructions from BRPs website. There are more then one and an update.. Pick the one that best matches your Spyder.

https://instructions.brp.com/content...mber=219400612
    https://instructions.brp.com/content...mber=219400460
    https://instructions.brp.com/content...mber=219400148
    https://instructions.brp.com/content...mber=219400445

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the information, very helpful. Where can I look for information like this so I don't have to keep asking for help?

Spyder Garage

Default Entertainment Harness connector?

I just pulled the panels and can see where the radio and antenna will mount but cannot find the connector to the Entertainment Harness. I know that I do have the harness as I already have both wired headsets with intercom and the CB. I just can't find the harness connector! Where might the connector be hidden?

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the information, very helpful. Where can I look for information like this so I don't have to keep asking for help?
    https://instructions.brp.com/e-instruction.html#tab=1

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I found this on the internet: https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/s...tallation-kit/. It is a Onyx radio cradle in a water resistant pouch on a mount for a motorcycle handlebar. The mount would have to be changed to a RAM type mount. Has anyone in the community used this or looked into this?
    SXMLCR72-back-2__40730.1620421123.jpg Plus-Closed-Case3__77243.1585331433.jpg EZR-Open-Case2__35502.1585331486.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default I just ordered one of the units Mr Kovas described ...

...when it arrives I will post my opinion.
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I simply run mine through my telephone that already has XM on it. It works very well when you hook it up to a USB port. I also run my regular radio stations the same way. Very simple with no headaches.