Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Spyder blue ridge parkway

has anyone done the whole parkway in one trip. we are hoping to do both ways in june sometime . to take about 2 to weeks plus do the dragon. we be tenting and hotel with 2 bike and trailer
    2019 f3t , titanium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

450 miles, most of it 45mph with quite a few slower speed limits. I think the Roanoke, VA area is still closed as are a couple misc spots farther south. With some careful planning, you could probably hop off the BRP to get around those. Dusk/dawn has a lot of wildlife so I'd ride during daylight hours. I'm guessing the fastest you'd make the entire trip (if you're planning to enjoy it) is 2 days. I ride about 75 miles of it in NC most weekends (3 seasons). Bear in mind, due to funding cuts over the past few years, there are quite a few places that REALLY need to be repaved. There's one 35mph section where I ride that I take about 15mph just to save the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

plan to stay in little switzerland very nice there

Spyder Garage

Are you beginning your trip begin at Skyline Drive in Front Royal or are you going to begin in Waynesboro? Skyline drive through the Shenandoah National Park is beautiful and you should not miss it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

plan to stay in little switzerland very nice there also a holiday motel in maggie valley

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pieman9155 View Post
    has anyone done the whole parkway in one trip. we are hoping to do both ways in june sometime . to take about 2 to weeks plus do the dragon. we be tenting and hotel with 2 bike and trailer
    We have done the entire BlueRidge/Shenandoah twice but the road has deteriorated since then. I don't think Biden's infrastructure plan will be in place in time to fix these things by June. Take care and plan to average 35 mph.

I would also skip the Dragon (overrated) and take the Chereohala Skyway from Robbinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN instead. Much prettier drive. There is a neat place that is Spyder friendly called the Lodge at Tellico.

Enjoy and have fun.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

North to south! Little Switzerland, Mabry mill. Snappy Lunch @ Mt. Airy NC for some Andy Griffith memories

Spyder Garage

I've done the full 469mi BRP, The Rattler, Snake, Cherahola Skyway, the Dragon, and more a few times over the past 10 years. We take i78 west to i81 south down to Front Royal or Staunton. Thats an easy 1 day slab run. That's it for slab until you get back up this far north.
    Skyline Drive has a toll of $30 r/t unless you have one of the Natl Park passes or other bennies like being a Vet. The northern sections of the BRP are mostly boring flat land. The further south you go, the more 'mountain riding' fun. Lots of tunnels and overlooks. No gas but many access roads to highways below. Consider jumping off to run the Rattler which is west of BRP - I think it's Rt 209?. Do the Foothills Parkway to get to the Dragon and continue south west to the Cherahola Skyway. Check out Fontana Dam too. There's no 'bad' roads down there! I have gpx routes criss-crossing that area if you are interested.

Personally, The Dragon is a "Been there, got the T-shirt" route. It's usually a circus of fast bikes, slow,bikes, and cages crossing centerline. Deal's Gap is a tourist trap but you have to stop and spend some $$. Robbinsville Quality Inn is bike friendly - as are most motels down there. There's also the Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge a couple miles from there.

Also helpful for closures, etc.: https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvis....4172/-81.1782
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

The deli at Deal's Gap has good food and a great floor show of people from all walks of life coming and going enjoying their passion. BRP in early June is in full bloom and gaudy with color (at least some years). A national treasure.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Be careful of your speed. BRPW Rangers clock speeds.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    Be careful of your speed. BRPW Rangers clock speeds.
    Supposed to be a federal ticket that only cost money, no points on your license! That's a lose win!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Are you beginning your trip begin at Skyline Drive in Front Royal or are you going to begin in Waynesboro? Skyline drive through the Shenandoah National Park is beautiful and you should not miss it.
    yes i forgot to ad skyline dr Both spyders.jpg
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Yeah, done the whole BRP in one trip on a Harley Sportster. Had to get off one time just before Ashville because of a rock slide. Got back on at Ashville exit. Rode it all the way from Cherokee to Front Royal. Think it was 3 days, but I did a lot of stopping and taking pictures. It was one of the most scenic rides I ever went on.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did the entire thing in 2017. We stayed in Maggie Valley and started the BRP just outside of Cherokee. Spent the night in Boone, after stopping at some awesome overlooks. Then from Boone, we took the rest of the BRP to Skyline Drive. The next day we did Skyline Drive to the end and back. The next day we made the trek home to Raleigh. The best parts of the BRP are south of Boone. I suggest taking one day and doing the Cherohola Skyway and Dragon, as well as visiting Fontana Dam and parts of 28. People say that the Dragon is overrated (and it is), but you will regret not doing it if you are already in the area. Also checkout Foothills Parkway. Just know that when you look at a map, there are 2, Foothill Parkways. the one that runs from Near Pigeon Forge to the Dragon area is the one that you want. The other one runs off I-40. It is beautiful too, but far away from the other.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have done it several times, both directions. At various times, we have used a car or minivan with a pop-up camper, just the van, or motorcycles. It's all very scenic, but realise that the type of scenery changes. Someone mentioned that it's flatter in the north, more hills and tunnels in the south. The flat lands are still enjoyable. My first time through, it felt like one of the rides at Disneyland where you see the wonderful diarama, then go around a corner or over a hill and there is ANOTHER one. Always changing, always good.

TAKE YOUR TIME, enjoy the road. It's a SCENIC drive, not a racetrack.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

thanks all for the help
    2019 f3t , titanium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gwolf, wow, BRP on a Sportster, that would require a lot of stops. 'Florida Swamp' would that be Green Swamp?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Gwolf, wow, BRP on a Sportster, that would require a lot of stops. 'Florida Swamp' would that be Green Swamp?

I had pulled the 3.2 gallon tank off of it and replaced it with a 4.2 gallon custom tank. Also carried a couple of large MSR fuel bottles, but yeah, had to really watch the gas and plan the gas stops pretty close. Some of the gas is 10 miles off the parkway to the nearest one.

I am on the Suwannee River near where it runs out of the Okefenokee Swamp. The whole area is covered with lakes and swamps that don't really have a name other than the local names which they don't use on maps.

This is my back field;

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smokin' Cool, bet some fine creatures wander out of there. Being a native Floridian, I can relate. I would like to wake up and see that in the morning light. So not hijack, I'll let it go at that. Enjoy!

Spyder Garage

well 2 weeks before we start our trip a little nervous. starting point albany ny. not sure how many miles the first day, but no time limit ,mostly no highway
    2019 f3t , titanium

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pieman9155 View Post
    well 2 weeks before we start our trip a little nervous. starting point albany ny. not sure how many miles the first day, but no time limit ,mostly no highway
    You will be fine. Just be sure to pack the rain gear so that it is readily available. I am actually thinking about heading that way tomorrow morning. The forecast will always be for about 20% chance or greater for rain. But due to the changes in elevation the clouds can appear and disappear at any moment. The BRP is one of my favorite ways to relax and enjoy the ride.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Clingman's Dome is pretty cool if you can find a day without fog. Pretty good hike to get up to the observation deck! Make sure you take some gear for cold weather. You can be roasting, down in the towns, then getting pretty cold (and wet) when up on the ridge.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

The best (enjoyable) route from NY is i81 down to Va. It avoids the congested cities along i95. Roanoke is the only slowdown area depending on timing. US & State highways will take at least 1 extra day to reach the fun areas if you don't want to slab it down/up. As mentioned, bring mesh, warm & rain gear. With the elevation changes, you'll likely need them all down south. Don't be surprised if/when BRP sections get closed due to fog. If you have a GPS, find your way to the next entry point since usually only 1 section/valley is impacted. Check the link I put above (#8) before you head out each day.
    ENJOY THE ADVENTURE!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I'll be riding mine to Ashville, NC this fall then doing the BRP to Cherokee then 441 back down to Ga.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Am going to ride it Tuesday from US-23 just north of Balsam to 441 then west and south to do the Dragon and Skyway, hopefully after the crotch rocket gang has gone home.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S