Spyder Garage

Default upshifting the SE5 with throttle

I know this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find the post. Does it harm the transmission or engine if you back off the throttle while upshifting ? I find it is smoother than just letting the SE5 do the upshifting without letting go of the throttle.

Motogordo

I want to thank everyone for the feedback on the throttle.
    Motogordo
    Last edited by Motogordo; 04-19-2021 at 03:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you get to the proper RPM's, the bike will shift effortlessly, quiet, and you will not even notice it. The rolling the throttle is for SM5 or SM6.

The 998/2 likes to be shifted at 5000-5500 rpm's. Seems high to some, but that is where the bike starts waking up. I never used 5th gear on the 998's until I was at highway speeds over 60.

The 1330/3 likes to be shifted at 3000-3500 rpm's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Does it harm the engine or transmission if you do back off the throttle when upshifting ?
    Thank you for your response.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    I know this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find the post. Does it harm the transmission or engine if you back off the throttle while upshifting ? I find it is smoother than just letting the SE5 do the upshifting without letting go of the throttle.

Motogordo
    I " Drag raced " ( at race track ) a V-twin and my 1330 ...... power shifted all the while ( got a an a 2nd. place trophy's ) . I can't think of a reason why letting off the throttle would/could hurt anything ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

No harm done, if you upshift with throttle closed, I downshift all the time to brake on the engine, but i try to find the sweetspot for upshifting, and mine shifts quiet round 2500/3000 rpm's
    Spyder f3s (tuned for bit more torque, in the low revs) I love to ride/ cruise round 70/80 km's per hour, and after tuning, I run at 2200 rpm, and not lugging the machine, have to say tho, I use premium gas, and overhere ( the Netherlands)premium isreadily available,and of consistent quality, and no ethanol derivates in it.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I've not owned a V-twin but when you ask if it will harm the transmission I doubt it, but remember, the centrifugal clutch requires the higher revs to fully lock up so why back off on the throttle and then have to spin it back up to fully lock the clutch.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

thank you for the feedback.
    Motogordo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    No harm done, if you upshift with throttle closed, I downshift all the time to brake on the engine, but i try to find the sweetspot for upshifting, and mine shifts quiet round 2500/3000 rpm's
    Spyder f3s (tuned for bit more torque, in the low revs) I love to ride/ cruise round 70/80 km's per hour, and after tuning, I run at 2200 rpm, and not lugging the machine, have to say tho, I use premium gas, and overhere ( the Netherlands)premium isreadily available,and of consistent quality, and no ethanol derivates in it.
    But that's only valid for the 1330 3cyl motored Spyders Piratezz; the OP here, Motogordo, has a 998 V-Twin that's a high revving motor with a centrifugal clutch between it & the 5 speed gearbox, and shifting IT at anything less than about 3500 rpm WILL harm the centrifugal clutch - unlike the oil/hydraulic clutches on the SE6's that back the 1330's, the SE5's on the V-Twins NEED to be spinning at least that fast for the clutch to fully engage!!

So as other's have said Gordo, it shouldn't harm anything if you back off the throttle a little when changing, given that Minimum 3500 rpm proviso for full clutch engagement that I just mentioned! However, the onboard computer looks after all that 'rev matching' stuff anyway, albeit not quite so well for the 'wired throttle' pre-2013 versions, so you trying to do it too is really just a bit redundant! Still, it's ultimately a matter of finding what YOU are comfortable with - and of course remembering that you need your revs to be above 3500 rpm when the gear change completes & you apply throttle once more, or you will be harming/wearing the centrifugal clutch in ways you really don't want to - especially now that BRP isn't supporting us with some spares for the V-Twins!?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-19-2021 at 07:20 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My bad, didn't notice that he was talking bout a 998V-twin, I have no experience with that engine. Sorry for misinformation, was only trying to help.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

No harm, no foul Piratezz; it's all good info that's been put out there, and if it happens to help a few people along the way, so much the betterer!

I was just posting the evxtra info to make the differences between the different motor's 'preferred rev ranges' & the different clutch requirements clear.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info in this post. New to Spyder and coming from a 2 wheel motorcycle. The 2013 manual only talks about 3200 +/- 200 for shifting and the dealer says shift at 4k and many say shift at 5k or better. Seems like it’s learn the speed at which shifting keeps the next gear at or above 3500rpm will be the target.
    2013 RTS , Yellow

Spyder Garage

The manual is telling you when the clutch is fully hooked up. Those of us who have been riding the VTwin awhile like to shift at higher sppeds . Some like the lazier life at 4000, some like to let the 998 wake up a little more and shift at 5000/5500. I shift mine at 6000 and cruise at 5000. That translates to about 70 mph on my spyder, which is just right for me. As long as you stay above 3200 so your clutch stays hooked up you can do what u like. As far as rolling off the throttle to shift ,no it won't hurt any thing but it may confuse your computer as to what you are doing as the recommended way to shift the SE5/SE6 is to not roll the throttle back but to just shift.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze