Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Test rode a new Harley Tri-Glide

The local HD dealer had the Demo truck in for this weekend, so I thought I would go over and ride something different. I'm not a cruiser guy, I've never been comfortable with the feet forward position or the handebars on their bikes, but it is always nice to be able to get some seat time on something I wouldnt normally aspire to. I got there on Sunday around 1030, hoping to avoid crowds and while there were quite a few folks there, it wasnt too bad at all. After registering and getting my little black "Harley card", I asked one of the ride organizers what was there to ride. I had figured Sportster since its the only one with mid controls, but even sitting on it didnt make me anxious to try it out. Just for S&G I asked about a trike and she said they did have one, but I had to watch a video of it first. I figure what the heck, lets do it.

Video was about 12 mins long, going over all the new features of the bike, oriented to folks who never rode 3 wheels before. I half paid attention, just wanted to hear how to put it in reverse and put the parking brake on. Those parts were covered in the end. By the time the vid was over, I was introduced to to an older gent who would lead my one bike ride.

Bike is big, seat is comfy. I couldn't figure out where the start button was. Turns out its also the R button. Hold R in for a second and it goes into reverse, otherwise it starts the bike. Got the bike started, not too loud, but way louder than my 10 year old RT. Clutch in, parking brake off (on the left behind the floorboard) and it clunked into first. Pulled out and immediately noticed how tough it was to turn the handlebars. We took off and turned on to the road. Same thing, this is a beast to turn when its going slow and you have to make a sharp turn. Got on the on ramp and same as the RT, it wants to throw you off, but thats normal. Highway ride was fine, you dont notice the heavy steering and the motor has tons of torque low down. Don't think I ever got above 4th gear. Took a while to figure out that the gear position is on the LCD screen, but it is so small you hardly see it. And this is a bike for older folks to ride?

Got back to the dealer and I had to back it into a spot. Reverse is run off an electric motor and as long as the bike is in N, once you hold it long enough to get R to display, then you press the same R/start button to engage the motor. Very herky jeryky action. Vid says you cant go back too far or you will run down the battery, nor can you back uphill. Also noted that the transmission is fairly clunky, very hard to find N. Apparently that is fairly normal for Harleys. Good amount of heat coming off the motor after the ride too. And this was a nice 65 degree day, probably not so nice when its 90 out.

Overall impression: I'll keep my 10 year old RT, this bike doesnt come close. And for 35K, you are paying for the privilege.

It is a pretty bike though:

2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Nice report.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Just as I suspected.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the report. Not much change since 2010 when I went and looked at them. I ended up choosing the 2010 RT instead.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I came from a Harley TriGlide and agree with EvilTwin. But I will say the electronics on the HD are much more intuitive to use than the Spyder, and the seating is more comfortable (could be because of my big ass)
    Last edited by rjinaz86323; 08-17-2022 at 09:59 AM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I went from a 2017 RT to a 2018 TriGlide and last week I went back to a 2021 F3 Limited . Many differences but I'm very pleased with the F3 !!

Spyder Garage

Good report. The big question, as reported somewhere here on SL, do you think it drove like a dump truck?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have had two Tri-Glide owners tell me they wish they had bought a Spyder instead. That sez a lot.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I agree! That is a very expensive paper weight.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

My neighbor is a dyed-in-the-wool HD rider. He recently purchased a new Tri-Glide. One day when I was zipping past he flagged me down on the return trip. (Decelerating into my driveway approach instead of accelerating away from it). The 1st thing he said was; 'I didn't know the Spyder was that quick!' I didn't tell him I was taking it easy!

He said he and his wife were not overly thrilled with their Tri-Glide and they were thinking of maybe looking at a Spyder. They asked me a number of questions about the different models. He complained about the same things referenced in this post. He really didn't like the electric reverse. Turns out they went on a group ride stopping at several locations where they were backing into parking places and he ended up having to get a jump near the end of the day.

This was the middle of last year and I haven't heard any more about it. I think it may be more of a peer pressure thing than a satisfaction thing. They are still riding the Tri-Glide.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-19-2021 at 02:43 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

my wife test road one hated it
    2019 f3t , titanium

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think it may be more of a peer pressure thing than a satisfaction thing. They are still riding the Tri-Glide.
    Maybe it's a money thing. I wonder how much of hit he would take trading it in on a Spyder?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

my wife definitely liked the backrest on the TriGlide better, since it wrapped around a little more, so she felt more secure back there. We looked at the BRP armrests for the Spyder and it appears that they would hit her legs, so they are a no go. The aftermarket ones look 'cheesy' to me (and her). Fast forward to 2022: W eventually found someone close buy that had the armrest for her to try. They were fine.
    We just finished our second long trip (good portion through the mountains). Here comment. 'They are worth every penny'.

Reduced Reach Drivers Seat Left Side.jpg
    Last edited by rjinaz86323; 08-17-2022 at 10:03 AM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Good report. The big question, as reported somewhere here on SL, do you think it drove like a dump truck?
    I haven't driven a dump truck, but I can say once underway it wasn't that bad. Not my usual route that I like to ride with mostly country backroads, this was mostly highways with some secondary roads. Only twisties were in the on and off ramps. That being said, I don't think it rode all that bad for what it is, a very heavy machine (over 1200 lbs) made for highway travel in mostly straight lines. If that is what you do, than any of the big Harleys are probably a good choice.

My biggest surprise was how heavy the steering was in turns. It makes sense just by the nature of the caster of the wheel wanting to resume a straight line and the only thing that stops that is your hand on the bars. The video made a point of saying that you must pull on the bar in the direction you want to go, and they werent kidding you have to pull on it fairly hard. If I was really interested in this bike, a longer ride on some back roads with curves would be a better test. I didn't get much feel for the braking either, the ride lead was taking it real easy, so I mostly coasted to a stop.

I thought the fit and finish on the bike were great. It feels expensive. And heavy.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I jumped from a tri to the spyder and don't see me going back. They would have to make several changes for me to even consider another Harley.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the additional information, Eviltwin. When I was shopping for my Spyder I stopped in at the local Harley dealer, just looked at the Tri, but had no desire to test ride when I saw the price. It was a finely finished machine though.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I too took a look at the Triglide since I was Harley rider for many years. But like you it was big, bulky and I feel a road bike only. And of course, it was way too expensive. Thanks for the report.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Maybe it's a money thing. I wonder how much of hit he would take trading it in on a Spyder?
    You could be right. Had not factored that angle in.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I would add that on my Triguide test ride at the first curve i came to at my normal sled I didn't think I'd make it. Turn around and took it back. Unsafe!
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

You could be right. Had not factored that angle in.
    Spyder dealers are not very generous on a TriGlide trade in. I sold my 2016 TriGlide to Barnett Harley in El Paso, TX. They came and go it in Chino Valley, AZ and gave me over $6k more than the local Spyder dealer would give me on trade.. I agree with other comments about the quality of the TriGlide. It is first class, but that is also why it ways 250 funds more than a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Thanks for the additional information, Eviltwin. When I was shopping for my Spyder I stopped in at the local Harley dealer, just looked at the Tri, but had no desire to test ride when I saw the price. It was a finely finished machine though.
    RE: Price....way back in 2010 (I believe first year of the TG), I did discuss price with the dealer. They wanted $40K plus. That included a $5K "administration" fee...which was not negotiable. I did not even ask about trade of my loaded, loaded 2008 GS SM5. I am thinking they would have low balled me below $10K. I ended up getting $15.5K trade in on the new RTS with 23,500 miles on the 2008. It was not hard to walk back to the Spyder dealer and I purchased two additional Spyders from them before leaving AK in 2019.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-20-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My neighbor is a dyed-in-the-wool HD rider. He recently purchased a new Tri-Glide. One day when I was zipping past he flagged me down on the return trip. (Decelerating into my driveway approach instead of accelerating away from it). The 1st thing he said was; 'I didn't know the Spyder was that quick!' I didn't tell him I was taking it easy!

He said he and his wife were not overly thrilled with their Tri-Glide and they were thinking of maybe looking at a Spyder. They asked me a number of questions about the different models. He complained about the same things referenced in this post. He really didn't like the electric reverse. Turns out they went on a group ride stopping at several locations where they were backing into parking places and he ended up having to get a jump near the end of the day.

This was the middle of last year and I haven't heard any more about it. I think it may be more of a peer pressure thing than a satisfaction thing. They are still riding the Tri-Glide.
    For all the bragging about rugged individualism, in the end most of those folks bow to peer pressure more than they're willing to admit.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    For all the bragging about rugged individualism, in the end most of those folks bow to peer pressure more than they're willing to admit.
    I believe that's why the Spyder I have now came to be available. A Colorado woman owned it and rode it not much over 600 miles and apparently traded it in on an HD trike. Supposedly her hubby was an HD rider. Anyway, the guy I bought it from in Bremerton, WA got it from the HD dealer in CO who he said was a friend and sold this guy, a Triumph dealer, about 12 bikes, the Spyder being one of them. I got the impression the HD dealer didn't want non-HD stuff cluttering up his lot! The title had the HD dealer name in the chain of transfers.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have a friend that had a Slingshot. He was in the hospital and his DW traded the Slingshot in on a Tri-Glide while he was there, "because" they had been HD people in an earlier life and the Slingshot took up to much room in the garage.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I have a friend that had a Slingshot. He was in the hospital and his DW traded the Slingshot in on a Tri-Glide while he was there, "because" they had been HD people in an earlier life and the Slingshot took up to much room in the garage.
    LOL that would have made her my (soon to be) ex-DW

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray