Spyder Garage

Default Anyone using Tire Beads? How much?

Anyone using tire balance beads in their rear tire when using a car tire? If so, how much? Just had a veredestein mounted on thev rear wheel of my RT and the tire place could not balance it.
    TIA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i use ride on liquid

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    Anyone using tire balance beads in their rear tire when using a car tire? If so, how much? Just had a veredestein mounted on thev rear wheel of my RT and the tire place could not balance it.
    TIA
    Centramatic Wheel Balancer works well......LaMonster sell them.....not cheap......but resolves any balance issue.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    TIA
    I have had 7 (?) rear tire changes ( using auto tires ) I had the first one balanced and none of the rest .... I could feel No difference .... The way the rear wheel is supported, imho allows for minor imbalance ...... I have read here quite a few folks had issues with " beads " ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just out of curiosity because were talking about car tires, does the speedometer run off one of the front tires or the rear tire? The reason I ask you is if you change tire size would it not change the accuracy of this speedometer?

Spyder Garage

If i put tire balance beads in a slingshot will they end up in my hand? Defying gravity?
    Snake oil!

Spyder Garage

I tried using ceramic beads (3 oz) in my fronts because I couldn't use my Marc Parnes cones. When cold, they seem to stick together for the 1st 10+ miles causing a lot of vibration at speed. After about 10 miles the beads break free and the balance is good for the rest of the day. I got the COMBO cones from Marc and removed the beads (dismount/remount) then balanced with weights.
    All good now.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used 3 oz of beads on my rears..I use Counteract Beads.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Just out of curiosity because were talking about car tires, does the speedometer run off one of the front tires or the rear tire?
    Rear only and that's for every Spyder since day one ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have had 7 (?) rear tire changes ( using auto tires ) I had the first one balanced and none of the rest .... I could feel No difference .... The way the rear wheel is supported, imho allows for minor imbalance ...... I have read here quite a few folks had issues with " beads " ..... Mike
    Given a reasonable quality a/mkt auto tire that's been mounted properly onto a Spyder's rear rim, you shouldn't really need anything much in the way of balancing at all - modern good quality a/mkt auto tires are almost all close to perfectly balanced during their production, and if they aren't, they're usually marked so that a skilled & competent tire fitter will know how to correctly mount them onto a rim to minimise if not completely avoid balance issues! Then add the Spyder's full 'thru axle' that's supported firmly on both sides, there's little if any chance of balance induced 'wobble'..... So finding an un-balanced rear Spyder wheel running a good quality a/mkt auto tire really shouldn't be at all common!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    ..., does the speedometer run off one of the front tires or the rear tire? The reason I ask you is if you change tire size would it not change the accuracy of this speedometer?
    As mentioned, the speedo is driven by the rear tire (or something in the driveline). Yes, accuracy would be affected by changing tire size. MOST speedometers are a bit 'optimistic', they will show 70 mph while your GPS is showing anything from 67 to 69 mph. Going to a larger size will reduce that error in the speedo, but it also slows down the odometer, which happens to be rather accurate.

As far as balancing goes, the shop where I had my Q5s mounted was able to do the fronts just fine. They could not do the rear, so I just took it home and put the axle through it and put it up on jackstands. IF it's out of balance, it's not very much. I did not add any weights. We have put on about 6000 miles since then with absolutely no problems.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

2 oz in the fronts and 4oz in the rear makes for a smooth ride. Same smoothness as the OEM Kenda's with conventional wheel weights.

Spyder Garage

If you use beads, make sure they don't use too much bead lube as it will cause the beads to clump up and be worse than ineffective.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    i use ride on liquid
    img-3_bottles_for_trikes_can_am_spyders (2).jpg I have also used ride on tire sealer and balancer with good result.
    2018 F3s, 2016 versys 650LT, 2001 concours 1000

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    i use ride on liquid
    How do you like the Ride On and how much did you use?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

works great use in all my motorcycle tires if you go to there site they have a chart

Spyder Garage

Tire changers hate liquid products and someone will refuse to change a tire with that in it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have changed several with ride on in them no problems

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I used 3 oz of beads on my rears..I use Counteract Beads.
    Same here and I used 2 oz in each front tire.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)