Spyder Garage

Default Best way to fix radio antenna base (rubber boot)?

My son discovered the antenna on his new RTL was not screwed in, so we tried to fix it. Long story short, the rubber boot got pulled through the hole and we can't get it back in. I'm assuming now that the boot must be reinserted from the bottom and up through the hole. The dealer is too far away, and too backed up with work, to take it there.

We're pretty handy with tools, but don't want to just start taking things apart without guidance. Can anyone describe what we need to remove so we can get the rubber boot back in the hole? TIA!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it's like the earlier models you put it in from the top. It's goes in with a specific orientation. Make sure the notches in the boot line up with the notches in the body. You might spray some windex on it to make it slip in easier.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If it's like the earlier models you put it in from the top. It's goes in with a specific orientation. Make sure the notches in the boot line up with the notches in the body. You might spray some windex on it to make it slip in easier.
    ..... however I would try liquid dish soap .... after it dries, it will act as a mild adhesive .... or use neither but put a small dab of RTV / silicone when you put it in ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Use a popsicle stick, and work around the edge. Goes in from the top.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the replies. I'll see if I can get it back in with these tips.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree, it goes in from the top. However, if you happen to have the Tupperware off, after pushing it in from the top, you can wiggle the nubs on the bottom side to ensure that they are pulled all the way through. It's a lot of work to get the Tuppereware off, though, so I would not recommend doing that without having another reason to have it off.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G