Spyder Garage

Smile 2014 RTL SE6 Parking Brake "relaxing"

Hi Everyone,

My parking brake on my newly acquired Spyder engages fine and then relaxes. When it engages, it engages strong and the bike won't move but a second later the parking motor relaxes and lets the cable relax and the bike will then move if force is applied or if the bike is on an incline.

I know from the service manual and some youtube videos that there is a wheel that the cable wraps around that activates the brake by tightening the cable. It behaves as if the motor itself is supposed to have a "brake" that isn't working since the motor is clearly strong enough to pull the cable tight but then when the power cuts off to that motor, it can't hold its position.

I've tried tightening the cable by adjusting the rear adjuster to take out all the cable slack and it doesn't help.

Here is a video of what it does. The video first shows the brake being disengaged and then shows it being engaged and it relaxing.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...rLvo-UhueWEYcr

In an effort to better understand how this works, so that I can fix it, I've searched the manual and parts websites for "parking brake motor" and can't even find what motor controls this.

Any input is welcome and thanks for any thoughts on this one.

Pat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kickthefog View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My parking brake on my newly acquired Spyder engages fine and then relaxes. When it engages, it engages strong and the bike won't move but a second later the parking motor relaxes and lets the cable relax and the bike will then move if force is applied or if the bike is on an incline.

I know from the service manual and some youtube videos that there is a wheel that the cable wraps around that activates the brake by tightening the cable. It behaves as if the motor itself is supposed to have a "brake" that isn't working since the motor is clearly strong enough to pull the cable tight but then when the power cuts off to that motor, it can't hold its position.

I've tried tightening the cable by adjusting the rear adjuster to take out all the cable slack and it doesn't help.

Here is a video of what it does. The video first shows the brake being disengaged and then shows it being engaged and it relaxing.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...rLvo-UhueWEYcr

In an effort to better understand how this works, so that I can fix it, I've searched the manual and parts websites for "parking brake motor" and can't even find what motor controls this.

Any input is welcome and thanks for any thoughts on this one.

Pat
    There is a dealer TSB which addresses this issue of premature wear on the gears inside the PBM. A new more robust motor is available, but, last time I looked they were on back order.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

My parking brake motor was replaced under warranty about a year after purchase with 9K miles on the clock for the problem you report. The service technician recognized the problem immediately without removing any Tupperware.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The problem may have just begun but I wonder if the previous owner just lived with it instead of getting it fixed. This was a common problem with early production 2014s. Many brake motors were replaced under warranty. The big pulley you see is mounted directly on the PBM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thank you guys for the help. Much Appreciated!

Spyder Garage

I'm just posting this follow up to help any future folks who might have the same issue or question about the Parking Brake Motor. As it turns out, on the 2014RT Limited anyway, the Parking Brake Motor is the exact same motor as the Windshield Up/Down motor. This explains why I couldn't find "parking brake motor" on any searches I did but it does indeed come up when you search for Windshield Motor. Anyway, so the motors are the same, and replacing the motor fixed my issue.

Spyder Garage

Mine is doing the same thing again... Guess it's dealer time. I'm completely out of adjustment and now I know why. Thanks for posting! I just had it apart again scratching my head. After the motor releases, it looks like there is very little total engagement, which might explain why it works sometimes and not others.

Does anyone have a bulletin number for this? THANKS!
    2014 Spyder RT SE6
    2014 RT , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hi Chris, if there is a TSB number you can look up for me, It would be MUCH appreciated. My dealer doesn't remember this, and their system is currently down, so he can't look it up either... Thanks!
    2014 Spyder RT SE6
    2014 RT , Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nazdackster View Post
    Hi Chris, if there is a TSB number you can look up for me, It would be MUCH appreciated. My dealer doesn't remember this, and their system is currently down, so he can't look it up either... Thanks!
    Call LaMont at Lamonster Garage. Info on home page. He can probably find it for you. My Google search came up empty. There definitely was a warranty replacement program for the early 2014's.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)