Spyder Garage

Default Where is the Evap Cannister - 2016 RT?

Trying to get rid of gas smell on 2016 RT. I have the right side (sitting on) panels off. Can't locate the cannister. Where is it located?

Thanks, Bob

Spyder Garage

Got to go over to the other Right.

Left side about even with where the backrest fits if I remember right.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Ed, Thanks. I guess it was good practice for when I change the oil and filter.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob -- if your 2016 spent most of its time in Pahrump, there's a good chance your fuel pressure lines have deteriorated (like I found on my used 2014 living in Escondido). I saw cord in the pressure tank to filter and especially in the short filter to Y-fitting. The return line wasn't to bad but replaced it anyway. They are different sizes. The Y-fitting to throttle body hose was in fairly good shape so didn't replace it.

The track at Pahrump was my favorite for learning (Thunderhill was my favorite to drive). But that's two decades ago. I need to plug in my archive drive and retrieve some pictures to send you.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Bert, Thanks for the response. I will probably take the left side tupperware off today and look at everything. I am going to bypass the cannister as I have probably overfilled more than once and dealer said the cannister should be replaced.
    Lived in South San Diego (near Imperial Beach) for 30 yrs prior to moving here. Totally different life style. Played golf a lot in SD. Played only 10 since 2007 here. Had a person that worked for me at North Island live in Descanso. When the fire hit out there years ago it was terrible.

Spyder Garage

Found it basically underneath the psgr seat area. Thanks for the help.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Bert, Thanks for the response. I will probably take the left side tupperware off today and look at everything. I am going to bypass the cannister as I have probably overfilled more than once and dealer said the cannister should be replaced.
    Lived in South San Diego (near Imperial Beach) for 30 yrs prior to moving here. Totally different life style. Played golf a lot in SD. Played only 10 since 2007 here. Had a person that worked for me at North Island live in Descanso. When the fire hit out there years ago it was terrible.
    The last time I looked into this issue ( V-twin vs. 1330 engine ) I concluded that on the 1330 design ... the cannister couldn't be flooded from overfilling the gas ..... I have the same 1330 you do and ALWAYS fill my tank to the top of the filler lip (sometimes overfilling ) my cannister is fine ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The last time I looked into this issue ( V-twin vs. 1330 engine ) I concluded that on the 1330 design ... the cannister couldn't be flooded from overfilling the gas ..... I have the same 1330 you do and ALWAYS fill my tank to the top of the filler lip (sometimes overfilling ) my cannister is fine ..... Mike
    I will see what it is like after the bypass. I did not cut anything so it will be easy to put back together if there is no change. Just don't understand why I get gas smell after riding.

Spyder Garage

Well I took it for a ride yesterday. I will probably get slammed for this, but my RT seems to have a little more zip to it. It's seems to have better throttle response. Coincidence-possible. Imagination-possible. Anyway, I like the responsiveness. Still smells the garage up though. I'm out of possible solutions.