Spyder Garage

Default Need a Stiff hitch for a Uni-go - recommend any?

We have a 2021 RT Limited on order. We want to pull our Uni-go behind it because of the convenience of just rolling it into your hotel/motel room (Yes, even using elevators) for ease of unpacking and security.

They already make an adapter that mounts to the hitch ball hole. That ball plate should be very stiff, however - to prevent the trailer from leaning (if it leans, it will steer to that side just like a motorcycle).

So, does anyone have an idea of which hitch is stiffest in this regard?
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Well, I ended up installing a WeiSen (generic Chinese from Amazon) hitch. Seems pretty sturdy and was easy to mount. Still needed the electrical adapter to five wire for the Uni-go, and the Uni-go adapter for the hitch. Lewis at Electrical connection ordered parts so he could build one for my bike as kind of a prototype, but the connectors still are not here (three or four months) so I bought a Big Bike Parts Show Chrome 41-362 and installed it. Uni-go never coughed up the adapter for the hitch so I canceled the order and cut up the adapter from my GL1800 and bolted it to the hitch - looks fine. Today I added the wiring adapter and tested it out - works fine. I did modify the wiring so that it get power from my Electrical Connection Power Plate and ground through the Electrical Connection Ground Block.

All hooked up to the Uni-go weird trailer connector and tested. Ready for Barber!
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

An update on pulling a Uni-go using a sawed-off MC verticle receiver hitch bolted to Chinabay Spyder hitch adapter and BigBike Parts/Show Chrome wiring adapter; Worked great for a ~300 mile (one-way) trip to Birmingham and back for Barber vintage weekend! Took some rather rough back streets through Chattanooga both ways, and everything seemed to come through just fine. The snapped-on ditty bag on the lid popped three snaps loose, but it did that behind the GL1800, too. The addition of wife and fully-loaded trailer did push stopping distance, and braking didn't feel quite as effortless as on the 'wing. Never had backing problems as the few times we needed to back, she could get off and I could stand on the floorboards for a good view of where the trailer was going. Next we have to find a good paint match as the bright yellow a PO had painted it looks like a bumble bee chasing us.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Dupe.
    Last edited by pidjones; 10-13-2021 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Dupe
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't see much on the Uni-go website, but possibly using the factory BRP trailer hitch and removing the ball would give you a stable attachment location. Interesting concept if you just need a little extra storage.