Spyder Garage

Default Will a 315 CCA Replacement Battery work? Recommend alternatives?

This morning I had to push our '16 F-3 LTD out of the garage & onto the street. 2 hours later when I started the tryke, it was slow to turn over. I'm anticipating it will fail its load test on Saturday. I have a $100 credit at the local H-D dealer. I noticed the Harley battery for Softails is rated at 315 CCA vs the Spyder's Yuasa at 350.

My question is, has anybody ever had problems with a replacement battery at 85 to 90% of the original equipment specification?

Any recommendations for an AGM replacement, I'm wanting to stay away from the Old Skool Acid type.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'What should I use?' question not a 'How To: DIY' guide. ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yuasa battery is rated at 350CCA and is the OEM Model.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Stick with the Yuasa or, if you choose another brand with the same CCA as the Yuasa. Would you buy a tire with less tread than spec because you had a credit for a thinner sneaker?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Matahead View Post
    This morning I had to push our '16 F-3 LTD out of the garage & onto the street. 2 hours later when I started the tryke, it was slow to turn over. I'm anticipating it will fail its load test on Saturday. I have a $100 credit at the local H-D dealer. I noticed the Harley battery for Softails is rated at 315 CCA vs the Spyder's Yuasa at 350.

My question is, has anybody ever had problems with a replacement battery at 85 to 90% of the original equipment specification?

Any recommendations for an AGM replacement, I'm wanting to stay away from the Old Skool Acid type.
    Spyders have a High power draw ( at start-up ) I'd be concerned with less than 350CCA ..... I have a 14 RT and it has always been slow to start , even after I put in a brand new one ..... MY advice is get it load tested. I bought a small Lithium battery JUMPER and keep it in the Spyder .....good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Yuasa battery is rated at 350CCA and is the OEM Model.
    I know.

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to Motobatt specific to your model

https://www.motobatt.us/parts-finder...20F3%20LIMITED

I have used these previously in a 2000 Gold Wing SE and they really do the job well. The gold wings won't start if the battery doesn't have the power needed; they will crank, but without the juice needed they won't fire off the sparkplugs at the same time.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Here is a link to Motobatt specific to your model

https://www.motobatt.us/parts-finder...20F3%20LIMITED

I have used these previously in a 2000 Gold Wing SE and they really do the job well. The gold wings won't start if the battery doesn't have the power needed; they will crank, but without the juice needed they won't fire off the sparkplugs at the same time.

Al in Kazoo
    Thats the battery we have, its only 300CCA and causing problems. Took it out over the weekend, checked the battery, it checked okay. On a ride tonight, I got all sorts of codes. The parking break doesn't think its on. Very slow to start. I want to shoot the piece o scat. But gonna put a new 350CCA battery and go from there.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, that's Motobatt site specific recommendation for the bike.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White