Spyder Garage

Default The Things You See

So I'm out running an errand, and as I'm leaving the store and waiting to pull out onto the street three motorcycles drive by.
    I had to blink a couple of times, as it was a very odd group. Fortunately, I was able to catch up to them at the next traffic light.

Lead: Honda Goldwing Trike
    Second: Harley-Davidson bagger with full front fairing and hard saddle bags
    Third: Can-Am Spyder - not sure the model, but it was a dark blue or black and had a top case

So I continue on to my house, wondering if I should post about what I saw or not, and then I saw something even weirder!

I live a few miles north of town, kind of out in the sticks, and the road to my neighborhood is a single lane in each direction with no shoulders.
    And I catch up to a wagon drawn by two horses. We're talking a wagon for hauling people, with seats for about 8 people, rolling on four tires.
    But as I get closer I realize they are not horses, but are mules.

Now, I'm a computer geek, not a farm boy, so you may be wondering how I knew they were mules?

From the license plate, of course: MULE 1
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

We have people from our area that ride mules and mule driven wagons by our place all the time. Gotta love rural Arkansas.

We even have a Mule, Kawasaki that is.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-12-2024 at 12:54 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Re: Group ride mix. I'm seeing more & more mix & match groups in the recent past. I think older rider (like me) want to keep riding with the folks we've been riding 2-wheels forever. Every brand, style and wheel-count is becoming the norm. Rare to see 'Branded' clubs anymore.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

The regular group I ride with includes Gold Wing trikes, Harley trikes, Indian trikes, Spyders, and a Kawasaki Concours..
    We have a great time.. no ill will re brands.. just us out and about and enjoying the ride.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear about the group ride mentality, and I have experienced a little bit of that around here.

There is a Harley-Davidson dealer in town, which is one location of a chain of 3 or 4 HD dealers in Tennessee.
    They do regular BBQ events and rides at the various locations, so I may see how they feel about a Spyder tagging along.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Yesterday I was coming down the backside of the "Snake" doing about 40 mph and was just coming out of a blind right hand turn. I had just started giving the F3s a bit of throttle when I was confronted with an idiot (a big idiot) driving a riding mower in the middle of the lane doing about 4 mph. He was on his cell phone looking down. I just barely missed him. So if you're on these backroads, be careful. For what it's worth, he never even looked up.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2024 at 07:06 AM.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

We had a group ride with a couple of Spyder RTs, a Honda GW Trike, a Vanderhall "lady driver", and her husband on a HD 2-wheeler last winter in Az.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2024 at 08:58 AM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

RE: Group riding...we did it for years. I belonged to a group from 2002 until about 2017. It was a multi brand group, (I introduced Spyders to them in 2008). We had weekly rides (Thursday's), and always stopped to eat some place. That particular group had safety in mind. We had over 50 members in the early days. It was something to see the pre-ride line up in the parking lot of a business that allowed us there for years. Usually over 50 bikes of all sizes and types. We broke up into groups of 10 or less for the actual rides. There was a "fast" group and there was a "beginner" group, as well as 5 other groups (some friends and some bike flavors). I led the beginner group for a few years. We had a yearly awards party and also celebrated St. Patrick's day with another party. In all the years I rode, we never had one "accident" involving the bikes. We usually had a yearly "I Faw Down" award winner though.

A change in leadership, politics, and safety, at the end caused us to leave the group. Safety was the biggy for me.

Since then, Linda and I finished out our riding years just riding together and an occasional ride with a friend or two.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-12-2024 at 01:05 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The group I ride with is not brand specific. When I joined them in 1993 there were around 80 of us, most on Gold Wings and then me on a Venture Royale. I am still will that group but now there are over 500 of us scattered mostly in the west but back east as well. The face of the group has changed now to about 50/50 Harleys and Gold Wings with a good scattering of other brands, Trikes, and a few Spyders ( more coming) Since our main focus is service, religious observance, and combining that with having a good time and sightseeing/touring, your bike brand is of little concern, but your friendliness, and desire to have a great time on 2/3 wheels is. Actually we even have a few cages with members who can't ride anymore who still join us.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I had plans for Saturday, which just changed...

ride.jpg

One of the sponsors is the organization I did my 3-wheel training with, and their website says that the coach I worked with will be attending.
    The location is about an hour from where I live, so an interesting event and a nice ride.
    The weather forecast is for some showers in the morning, so I may need to break out my rain gear.
    Last edited by racoon; 05-13-2024 at 08:58 PM.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

I live in The Villages, Florida and our club, The Villages Nomads, has approximately 160 active members (the roster is over 300) & there is just about every bike and trike represented from Can Ams, Harleys, Hondas, Yahamas, & even a couple bikes with side cars. We’re all older riders and really don’t care what people ride. Most of us are old Harley riders and like myself have owned numerous bikes. It’s all about the camaraderie & continuing to ride.

When I joined there were approximately 16 Spyders…..we’ve been adding about 2 a month. The trikes, including Can Ams, Harleys & Gold Wings about 1/2 of the club now.

2014 Can Am Spyder RTL Chrome Edition

Led Headlights & Fog Lights
    Frunk Organizer
    Rear Trunk Organizer
    Painted Windshield Bracket Black with Chrome Spyder
    Leather Like Foam Hand Grips
    Handlebar Weights
    Plug N' Play Brake Light Flasher / Modulator Kit
    Trunk Mounted Run, Brake & Turn Signal LED Light Kit
    USB/Volt Meter
    2 - Airhawk - R-REVB Cruiser Motorcycle Seat Cushions
    Led Undercarriage Lights