Spyder Garage

Default Too start with......I'm not color blind

Just had an experience looking at the coolant reservoir that I do NOT understand. Hoping someone else does.
    Just got back from a 200 hundred mile day and just for grins (and because of some other discussions I am having about maintaining things) I decided to see if my coolant was up to where it belongs in the tank. Now the strange part comes in. I check this visually every so often and it has always been pink in color. This is with a flashlight beam from under the body cover by the reservoir. Just now I decided to look and make sure the level is OK.........and the fluid color as far as I can tell by looking at it AND by dipping a popsicle stick in it, is CLEAR !
    How can that be?? Any one else ever see this?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

When was your coolant last changed/flushed?? Have you, or anyone for that matter, been topping it up with water/anything or could a tech have topped it up/changed/flushed it without you realising?

Apart from ^^ that sorta stuff, the 'water' in the windscreen washer or the 'base' A/c 'fluid' are pretty much the only clear liquids you're likely to see around a modern vehicle, altho often even those have a detergent or dye added to help clean windscreens/identify the source of any A/c system leaks..... but I don't think your windscreen washer fluid or any leaking Air Con fluid would be able to easily contaminate your Spyder's coolant?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Coolant Color

Most of the time the color of Coolant if pink should stay pink for the "life" of your coolant. As Peter stated above something is not right. Do you have a coolant leak? Someone maybe added water to the system. I have not seen or heard anything happening like this. If the coolant had "oil in it" that would be caused by an engine problem. Does the coolant have a funny smell? Let us know what you find out. ........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    When was your coolant last changed/flushed?? Have you, or anyone for that matter, been topping it up with water/anything or could a tech have topped it up/changed/flushed it without you realising?

Apart from ^^ that sorta stuff, the 'water' in the windscreen washer or the 'base' A/c 'fluid' are pretty much the only clear liquids you're likely to see around a modern vehicle, altho often even those have a detergent or dye added to help clean windscreens/identify the source of any A/c system leaks..... but I don't think your windscreen washer fluid or any leaking Air Con fluid would be able to easily contaminate your Spyder's coolant?!?
    Peter, first off thanks for an answer but to clarify I personally haven't done any top-offs of this reservoir ever. Whenever I looked in the past it was OK - which actually I expected this time. If it was done it was done a year ago with my last oil change and annual inspection. But I believe I have visually checked this since that inspection and the fluid level was pink. Not sure if pink or orange in some people's minds but looks pink to me. I am scheduled for oil change and annual inspection June 11. Maybe the dealer can help clarify.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

That's pretty much the answer I expected Ray, but it doesn't help clarify why your coolant would change colour....

When you checked it with a popsicle stick, did you 'feel' the liquid to see if it was slimy or maybe oily?? Contaminating coolant with engine oil will generally make it either a frothy brown scum or a 'milky white' almost yoghurt like scum, but at very low oil contaminant/coolant ratios, a little oil might conceivably make your coolant go juuuust enough 'milky white' to appear 'almost' clear.... only it will definitely 'feel' sticky/slippery/oily!! However, the other side of that particular contamination mix is that your oil will show similar signs - with some evidence of either a frothy brown scum or a 'milky white' yoghurt like substance on the dipstick, under the oil filler cap, or maybe even in the oil reservoir...

The only other thing that readily comes to mind is the growing use of 'Water Wetters' to make 'Super Coolant' - dunno about over there, but here in Oz quite a few people are dumping their coolant/anti-freeze & replacing it with a 'Water Wetter' & Distilled Water mix, sometimes coloured, but often resulting in a clear 'coolant' that looks just like water, but has a bit of a 'slimy' feel to it and also has significantly improved cooling capabilities with similar anti-freeze/corrosion properties..... any chance someone's done this to your Spyder??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Been in maintenance for many, many years. Nothing will make your coolant turn clear. Somewhere somehow someone has added/flushed everything with plain water. Could very well have been a new "tech" in training did a flush and refilled it with water but don't expect them to admit it after you left their shop without noticing it. If they do admit it they should fix the error. Always check behind anyone doing things to your ride and never take anything for granted.

That said I have also been out of maintenance for 10 years or so. I know nothing about the stuff that Peter mentioned but that does not mean that things have not changed. Also as Peter said the solution should have a slick/slimy feel to it.

Call the dealer shop and talk to them about this, they might be able to shed dome light on this. If the claim ignorance, have the system flushed and refilled with the correct coolant/ratio mix.

Just another thought, remove the cap and look at the underside of it. Is there any type of residue there or is it relatively clean. If oil is entering the system there would be some type of build up there. A milky or peanut butter like substance
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That's pretty much the answer I expected Ray, but it doesn't help clarify why your coolant would change colour....

When you checked it with a popsicle stick, did you 'feel' the liquid to see if it was slimy or maybe oily?? Contaminating coolant with engine oil will generally make it either a frothy brown scum or a 'milky white' almost yoghurt like scum, but at very low oil contaminant/coolant ratios, a little oil might conceivably make your coolant go juuuust enough 'milky white' to appear 'almost' clear.... only it will definitely 'feel' sticky/slippery/oily!! However, the other side of that particular contamination mix is that your oil will show similar signs - with some evidence of either a frothy brown scum or a 'milky white' yoghurt like substance on the dipstick, under the oil filler cap, or maybe even in the oil reservoir...

The only other thing that readily comes to mind is the growing use of 'Water Wetters' to make 'Super Coolant' - dunno about over there, but here in Oz quite a few people are dumping their coolant/anti-freeze & replacing it with a 'Water Wetter' & Distilled Water mix, sometimes coloured, but often resulting in a clear 'coolant' that looks just like water, but has a bit of a 'slimy' feel to it and also has significantly improved cooling capabilities with similar anti-freeze/corrosion properties..... any chance someone's done this to your Spyder??
    Good question Peter. I am wondering if for some reason, any added water over the year would remain at the top of the fluid system and not mix ? Doesn't seem right to me. The fluid level in the tank does "appear" to be above the hot mark by maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This was after our 200 mile run yesterday . I will look today, and if it appears high, I will syphon some out -to the cold mark - and see what color it is. This "probably" nothing to worry about, but
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Good question Peter. I am wondering if for some reason, any added water over the year would remain at the top of the fluid system and not mix ? Doesn't seem right to me. The fluid level in the tank does "appear" to be above the hot mark by maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This was after our 200 mile run yesterday . I will look today, and if it appears high, I will syphon some out -to the cold mark - and see what color it is. This "probably" nothing to worry about, but
    the coolant / anti-freeze is designed to mix with water .... un-like Oil and water or gas ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Peter, first off thanks for an answer but to clarify I personally haven't done any top-offs of this reservoir ever. Whenever I looked in the past it was OK - which actually I expected this time. If it was done it was done a year ago with my last oil change and annual inspection. But I believe I have visually checked this since that inspection and the fluid level was pink. Not sure if pink or orange in some people's minds but looks pink to me. I am scheduled for oil change and annual inspection June 11. Maybe the dealer can help clarify.
    Ray,

FWIW the coolant in my 2014 RS was orange, and the replacement that I purchased from the dealer was also orange.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

It would be interesting to know the freeze point of the mixture if you happen to have an antifreeze tester.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love to hear this answer.